What's new

Noob Question

hi everyone,

i apologize if this question has been beaten to death (which I am sure it has been). I would love hear opinions on wade and butchers for newbies. i am getting a w&b 11/16 improved tang razor for $140 ish. i am new to the world of straight shaving. tried shaving with a straight razor once and i love the experience. i want to go headlong into the world of SE shaving and would love to ease in with the proper tools.

thanks in advance.
pk.

Welcome to the world of straights, I am afraid I cannot help you much with the wade and butcher's since I mostly shave with vintage swedish razors but they seem to be quite popular around these parts. Good luck and feel free to ask any questions you like.

W&B made consistently great razors in my experience. A good choice for a beginner, but get it professionally honed before you try to shave with it.

Congrats on the W&B.

STR8 shaving is fun and gratifying.

I recommend you get it honed professionally and get a starter strop.

Also a chromium oxide balsa strop is an option to help maintain the edge.

PS: pictures are always welcome.

Thanks for the replies guys. Pics will soon follow. I know folks talk about this..but damn this is one addictive hobby. Its weird and damn straight foolish how much I look forward to shaving every morning. I think the worst part of straight razor shaving is going to be that, since it is so close, I wont have enough stubble to shave every morning :)

I hope the euphoria mellows and morphs into a life time of love.

Will keep you guys posted.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
I have a W&B and it's a great shaver. Is yours worth that price, impossible to say without pictures. All I can say is that you already when over the maximum I would pay for any vintage razor. However, it might be worth that...

Top Bottom