What's new

Non russian alternative to Polsilver super iridium ?

So I need more stock, but I would prefer to not purchase anything from russia anymore. Is there a good alternative blade that behaves similar to the Polsilver Super Iridiums? Thanks!

So how did your quest ended up? Judging by your signature, may we assume that you've found BIC as a proper substitute?

An alternative could the 7 o'clock SharpEdge, it is pretty close, but not the same of course. The closest blade to the Super Iriridum to me is the Silver Star.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Really sharp blades not from Russia...Feather and Personna Med Prep immediately come to mind.

SharpEdge is a Russian blade, made in the same plant as Polsilvers - for all we know in the same room and on the same machine LOL I think for the most part the difference between a SharpEdge and a Polsilver comes down to the coating, and not much else.

If the idea is to find a blade with a similar sharpness-smoothness profile to a Polsilver (that is to say, medium sharp, very smooth, like a Polsilver), but not made in Russia, I would probably look to Personna. Wilkies entail taking too much of a hit on the sharpness parameter. Lab Blues do not have that issue.

KAI is definitely sharper than Polsilver but I find the two blades to shave similarly. KAI is the tamer Japanese sibling of Feather. It flies under the radar for most DE shavers, for reasons I can't fathom, other than the cost. It's a very fine blade.

If the idea is to find a blade with a similar sharpness-smoothness profile to a Polsilver (that is to say, medium sharp, very smooth, like a Polsilver), but not made in Russia, I would probably look to Personna. Wilkies entail taking too much of a hit on the sharpness parameter. Lab Blues do not have that issue.

Thank you, very useful! Indeed, the idea is to achieve the same sharpness/smoothness ratio.
Just to make clear: by Personna you mean specifically American-made Lab Blues, right?

Thank you, very useful! Indeed, the idea is to achieve the same sharpness/smoothness ratio.
Just to make clear: by Personna you mean specifically American-made Lab Blues, right?

In my opinion, yes, I think the (American) Lab Blues are around same sharpness/smoothness profile as a Polsilver. They're really quite comparable overall, at least on my skin. In fact I have had difficulty telling them apart on side-by-side tests!!

So how did your quest ended up? Judging by your signature, may we assume that you've found BIC as a proper substitute?
Plenty of great non russian blades out there, in fact I was fool to pay 70 CAD for 200 Polsiver. Better blades can be obtained for less money.
Best alternatives are Personna platinum chrome (red wrapper or blue same thing to me), Tatra and Tiger platinum, BIC chrome platinum, Indian 7 o’clock super platinum Black is bliss. Korean Dorco prime platinum isn’t bad.

best price for Personna
Best price for Tatra and Tiger platinum, plus BIC
Best price for Dorco
eBay is source for Indian black

enjoy

Last edited:
Plenty of great non russian blades out there, in fact I was fool to pay 70 CAD for 200 Polsiver. Better blades can be obtained for less money.
Best alternatives are Personna platinum chrome (red wrapper or blue same thing to me), Tatra and Tiger platinum, BIC chrome platinum, Indian 7 o’clock super platinum Black is bliss. Korean Dorco prime platinum isn’t bad.

best price for Personna
Best price for Tatra and Tiger platinum, plus BIC
Best price for Dorco
eBay is source for Indian black

enjoy

Fantastic! Thank you very much!

Some of my favorite non-Russian blades are:

BIC Chrome Platinum from Greece, but may be sharper than you desire
Personna Platinum (formerly known as Israeli reds, now made in Germany)
Wilkinson Sword Classic made in Germany, not the Gillette branded ones from India or China, although they are OK.
Gillette 7 O'Clock Platinum black are made in India
Lord Platinum "The Diamond Edge" made in Egypt, Shark Platinum are similar
Supermax Blue Diamond Platinum made in India. There is also a Blue Diamond Titanium which I have not tried.
Dorco Prime Platinum (STP301) made in Viet Nam. Make sure you do not get ST300 or ST301.

Whilliam

First Class Citizen
You might try Derby Premiums or Derby USTAs. Both are better than the more common Derby Extras, which have never worked for me.

Egyptian blades from the lord factory are pretty darned good.
shark platinum
Crown platinum
asco platinum
Racer
Lord cool
Lord platinum class
Lord platinum tajam
You forgot to mention the king of all Lord blades Silver Star brand. $7.99/100 and now my one and only blade. I've purchased 300 of those bad boys in the past few months and are hands down the best blade for my ugly mug.

SharpEdge is a Russian blade, made in the same plant as Polsilvers - for all we know in the same room and on the same machine LOL I think for the most part the difference between a SharpEdge and a Polsilver comes down to the coating, and not much else.

KAI is definitely sharper than Polsilver but I find the two blades to shave similarly. KAI is the tamer Japanese sibling of Feather. It flies under the radar for most DE shavers, for reasons I can't fathom, other than the cost. It's a very fine blade.

+1 on Kais and Personna Lab Blues or Med Preps.

To me, Kais are almost as sharp as Feathers, but much smoother. Feathers qre just too unforgiving for me, almost impossible to avoid nicks/cuts, especially when new. Shaves 1-3 are always full of drama for me with Feathers...

Kais might be some of the most expensive blades out there, but they last longer than most (again, for me). I usually replace mine every other sunday and get 10-12 very comfortable shaves out of them, without any pulling/tugging.

Personna LB and MP are just great blades in my book, sharp and smooth.

Good luck!

I originally put something here about switching from Polsilver to Nacet but those are Russian as well. Good luck with finding something equivalent. I’m sure something is out there which is non Russian. I love the Nacet though.

Last edited:
I recommend the med prep. The perfect combination of sharp and smooth. I purchased some lab blues and will be trying those out shortly. Someone mentioned that they are the same as the med prep but without the additional wash prior to packaging.

Top Bottom