What's new

NomadicDave's Shaving Journey

Hey Everyone,

I love the concept of a shaving journal. It will help me document my shaving journey. Especially I want to document my brushes and how they perform over time. My main three focuses on this will be razors, brushes, and soaps.

Razors - Try to document how they perform. Are they efficient and smooth? How do they feel in my hand and are they ascetically pleasing?

Brushes - What type of knot is it? How is the face feel (I face lather 100% of the time)? Is it soft, how is the backbone? Does it load fairly well and how well does it release soap? Is the handle comfortable in my hand? Is the brush ascetically pleasing?

Soaps - How strong is the smell off the puck? How easy is it to load? Is it slick and dense lather? How is the scent when lathering and what is the post-shave feel? What are the cost and availability?

These are all questions that are important to me in my shaving journey. I typically shave 5-7 days a week. That could change in the years going forward and that is an important aspect to document. I also shave my face and head so I like to call that double dipping lol. I'm lucky that I get to shave twice a day! I live full-time in my 32ft RV with my spouse and our two Great Danes. So shaving looks a little different and I shave in different spots from time to time.

Well, I think that is a good first entry and gives me a good outline for my journal entries.

~Dave

Today's shave went really badly. The stage was set for it to be perfect. I have been recently shaving with newer razors, the first one being the Masamune, PAA Copper Doc, and Blackbird Ti. These two razors are so efficient and beautiful that I have not been using my Gillette vintage razors. This week I decided it was time to start using them and see which ones I want to keep and which to sell. I own a Slim, Executive Fatboy, Red tip, and the Gillette New.

Razor - Gillette Slim - Aesthetically this is a beautiful razor and the weight feels great. On setting 5 & 4 it was not efficient nor was it smooth.

Brush - DG Fae B9a - This is not a super soft brush but has a good backbone for face lathering. It loads and releases the soap with ease. I enjoy the shape of the Jefferson handle and it is very ascetically pleasing. It's not a luxury experience in my opinion. This is a good work brush. I'd buy the B9a again but would not want two of this batch of hair.

Soap - PAA Blue Samhain - The smell of the puck is amazing! It's a nice boozy pumpkin scent and it's above midrange for strength. The scent stays strong while lathering and shaving. It's slick and dense as soap. It's available in many places seasonally only. I bought this set used so the price is hard to factor. I don't think it's the CK6 formula either. I like the scent and the performance of the soap enough that I bought a new puck this last week as a backup. The splash is nice but does feel a bit drying. The post-shave feel of the soap is pretty good.

So far as much as I love the Slim's looks and feel it might be on the chopping block.

Not sure if pictures matter but here we go...
F559FB59-55D9-49E9-8114-40FABE6D8660.jpeg

Last edited:
Today's head shave went perfectly. It really could not have been any better.

Razor - Gillette Slim - Started my first pass on a level 5 and finished my second pass on a level 4. This was efficient and very smooth.

Brush - DG Unicorn Ivory - These brush tips are insanely soft! It's a dense luxurious knot yet has enough backbone to use on my head. This brush is so nice I would add another to my collection. The handle could be the only ding if I had to find one. The Unicorn Ivory colorway is not bad but not very out there. It blends into the background.

Soap - McDuff's Autumn Cabin - OMG I love this scent!!! It's like going on a lovely hike in the pine forest. I just went online and ordered another tub because it seems to be seasonal. I'm still curious how long a tub would last me if I used it from start to finish. This tub I have about 3-4 shaves on it and it seems like a nice dent is already in it. I also almost always over-lather but figure I rather over-lather than under-lather. The splash feels incredible, It's very moisturizing and makes my head feel great. McDuff's is on the keep list and buy more scents for sure.

Slim is still on the chopping block as I want a razor that can do it all. I'm going to use each razor for multiple days that way I get multiple uses for the face and head to give it a real fighting chance.

C200D878-AAA4-415C-A60D-459F2EFB21F4.jpeg

Today's head shave was perfect in every way. I'm giving my face a day to heal after yesterday's hack job.

Razor - Blackbird Ti - This razor is super efficient and smooth at the same time. I love the feedback it gives me and the weight is really nice. I was afraid it would be too light. But now I want only Ti razors.

Brush - Varlet 27mm XD - This brush is the Golden Goose of my collection. It's not flashy yet its classic looks are stunning to me and the handle fits perfectly in my hand. The knot is insanely soft yet had a good amount of backbone for face and head lathering. It's dense and loads and releases lather with ease. I would buy it again and want to add a 29mm to my collection.

Soap - PAA Blue Samhain - Nothing new here, still performs great and smells amazing.

I love this Blackbird Ti so much that it has me looking at Timeless Slim Ti razors. I really enjoy the weight of it. It's hard after using this to not want to sell all my vintage razors.
BBCD1031-41F7-4BA9-A76A-67542C5D2DA1.jpeg
92F67526-B376-4CB2-B460-9AAB44CC2C22.jpeg

Attachments

• BBCD1031-41F7-4BA9-A76A-67542C5D2DA1.jpeg
    BBCD1031-41F7-4BA9-A76A-67542C5D2DA1.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 3

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
Today's head shave was perfect in every way. I'm giving my face a day to heal after yesterday's hack job.

Razor - Blackbird Ti - This razor is super efficient and smooth at the same time. I love the feedback it gives me and the weight is really nice. I was afraid it would be too light. But now I want only Ti razors.

Brush - Varlet 27mm XD - This brush is the Golden Goose of my collection. It's not flashy yet its classic looks are stunning to me and the handle fits perfectly in my hand. The knot is insanely soft yet had a good amount of backbone for face and head lathering. It's dense and loads and releases lather with ease. I would buy it again and want to add a 29mm to my collection.

Soap - PAA Blue Samhain - Nothing new here, still performs great and smells amazing.

I love this Blackbird Ti so much that it has me looking at Timeless Slim Ti razors. I really enjoy the weight of it. It's hard after using this to not want to sell all my vintage razors.
View attachment 1556071View attachment 1556069
Razor✔️

Brush✔️

Soap✔️

Blade❓

I have found the blade makes a big difference.

~doug~

Razor✔️

Brush✔️

Soap✔️

Blade❓

I have found the blade makes a big difference.

~doug~
Hmmm, now that you mention it I think it was one of the Personna Supers I got for free. I typically use an Astra SP or Feather in all my shaves. But I received 5 of those Personna blades with my Blackbird Ti purchase. I have used two of the Personna's and they are ok for about 2 shaves it seems.

My face shave was excellent today!

Razor - Masamune SB - Smooth and efficient with only 2 passes.

Brush - Trotter with a Turn-N-Shave L3 Knot - This brush is in my top 3 as of today. I love how dense it is while still being soft. It's huge for a 28mm and I like that. The Trotter handles are gorgeous and fit my hands very well.

Soap - Blue Samhain - Same soap still kicking butt.

This brush was a great buy on the used market. I already have Trotter working on a custom brush for me that will hold his T1 knot that I have not tried yet. I might have him make me a 2nd handle that I will outfit with another knot. I love this Turn-N-Shave knot and would like to add another to the rotation. The Masamune is a solid razor that will stay in rotation and I can't find a single flaw with it. I have the SB and OC plates for it.
F2DFFFE0-2AE0-45B8-950C-224C5D6477BA.jpeg

Last edited:
Today's shave was with a new brush and soap base I have never used.

Razor - Masamune - Still working and staying in my rotation. It's smooth, yet efficient.

Brush - Voigt & Cop VC01 - This is a very unique brush that was made for House Of Mammoth that I had to buy as it went to a good cause. It's a 3 band badger and my first one. It is not soft yet after reading into it you have to break it in and it should become very soft. I have already done two shaves with it and noticed it getting softer. Beautiful handle that is heavy with a brass ring. Incredible brush for the price and handmade in Italy.

Soap - House Of Mammoth "Smash" - First time using HOM soap and really enjoyed their soap base. It's very easy to work with and creates a nice slick lather. The scent is very peach-forward and not much of a boozy scent. It's supposed to be a Peachy Boozy scent. Still love it.

Overall really good shave and I enjoyed the soap and the new brush. Brush maker, I would recommend to anyone wanting a custom wood brush. I'm not 100% sure about the 3 band badger yet as time will tell. Right now it is a bit scratchy. They also have a VC02 Knot that is a 2-band badger that is very nice right out of the gate.

Today's face shave went perfectly.

Razor - Blackbird Ti - Still a great tool that stays in my rotation.

Brush - V&C VC01 - This knot is still not as soft as I would like. This 3-band badger brush needs some more breaking in. This is my 3rd time using it. I'm hoping to see it be soft by around 15-20 use.

Soap - Blue Samhain - Nothing new PAA is still a great base and love this scent.

Overall another great shave hoping to get this brush broken in.

94F46184-855F-4B14-8448-9A99C9364256.jpeg

Head Shave

Razor - Blackbird Ti - Still a top performer

Brush - Grizzly Bay "Wonder" V17 - New brush and first use. Very gelly, and soft, and has a decent backbone. I'm happy I finally got to try a knot like this. But also glad I did not add the V17 to my C&H brush.

Overall I like the knot for the first use. But It is hard because I have now some of the top knots on the market that are hand-tied. I can now say I can tell the difference between this knot and my other. But with time this knot will change. I can see why people have it in multiple brush handles. But I'm trying to limit doubles in my collection for knots I'm in love with. This is a good addition and will stay in the rotation but as of now, I would not add another V17 knot. The handle is beautiful with purple, white, and flakes of gold. I was afraid it would be too small but the handle is bigger than I was expecting and feel very good in my hands. I would for sure add another Grizzly Bay brush to my rotation.
6AC23EBD-8788-4AEF-915E-3FEC01C0425B.jpeg
70CF705A-F008-46ED-857F-620B7A810714.jpeg

A great face shave this morning.

Razor - 1955 HD Red Tip - This was smooth for my morning shave. Yet it was not as efficient as my newer razors. Two passes as usual and it was a good shave but less close than normal. I really enjoy this razor though.

Brush - Mozingo ZT3 - I have wanted one of these ZT3's since I first read about them. Finally found one on the used market. I'm still not sure about this brush. It loaded and released lather easily. It is dense yet has very natural hair. But there was no wow factor like I was hoping for. I guess after having so many top-tier knots it's hard to get that wow factor still.

Soap - Blue Samhain - Boom another great soap.

Overall, I am keeping this HD Red Tip in my rotation. The ZT3 brush I need to get more time with it to see if it has its spot or if it is too similar to something else.
86EC5E99-6BD0-45DB-B7B9-0118A92BD9B1.jpeg

Head shave was fun with some new gear.

Razor - Henson Mild - Great razor for the body or the head. Not sure I'd love it on the face. It's very smooth but not very efficient.

Brush - Turn-N-Shave Galaxy M1 - This has to be the densest knot ever created. The handle is more stunning than I ever expected and might be my best-looking handle. The knot is crazy dense. I knew it would be dense and this brush was hard to find as I think only 12 or so were created.

Soap - Blue Samhain - Still explodes with lather.

I finally found a Galaxy M1 brush on the used market. I have wanted this brush for a while as It's supposed to be the densest knot on the market and I knew I had to try it. Also, Turn-N-Shave created the handle and hand-tied this knot. So I knew it would be quality work as I love his L3 knot. While I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of this level of density this brush will stay in my den. The hair on the knot is not even but hey I can't complain.

316165018_10160559562802930_2199736388680526820_n.jpg
315890491_10160559561677930_8353040565713969886_n.jpg

Today's face shave was very smooth and I used my Executive Fatboy

Razor - 1959 Executive Fatboy - Man, I love this razor. Setting 4 today on the face was smooth but not as close as I would have hoped. Did not notice until I was at work. The weight and size of the handle are perfect. I'm learning I like a bigger bandle on my razors that are adjustable because it's easier to grip to change the settings.

Brush - DG Cold B14 - This is a new brush to the den and I love the B14 knot. This one is just as luxurious and is the GOAT of my collection. At this point, I might sell a B14 because I now own 3 and have another one on a way.

Soap - Blue Samhain - Almost have the ring of death! Blue Samhain you are about to get put under.

It was a great shave everything performed well. I love the B14 knot and the cold pour is pretty unique for my den. As I said I now own 3 DG B14 brushes and I have one on the way from France.
316097395_10160569626297930_6225606182893399341_n.jpg

Head Shave

Razor - 1959 Executive Fatboy - Smooth shave not super close but man I love this razor.

Brush - DG Deja Blue B11 & DG Merman B14 - That is right, I used two brushes for the head shave. These are both new to me brushes so I wanted to give both of them a test run. Man, again the B14 knot is luxurious and this one is on point like the other two B14S I own. The B11 is uniquely different. I have a DG Poison Pond B11, I like it so much that I decided to look for another B11. I found this one and the owner also had the two new to me B14 and gave me them all for a great bundle deal. The B11 is beautiful, it's not B14 luxurious but it's such a great well-rounded brush.

I loved this head shave even using two different brushes. The B11 & B14 are both great yet different. It was very easy to see that when I was using them. I will keep both B11s and still deciding how many B14s I want to keep.

315988913_10160575023307930_665931882472433330_n.jpg
316108840_10160575023312930_7649763485852979648_n.jpg

A nice smooth face shave.

Razor - Masamune OC - I'm still not fully tuned in to the OC plate as I don't use it often. But dang does it get close with two passes.

Brush - HOM Smash V&C VC01 - This is the House of Mammoth brush that V&C hand-made for the "Smash" release. There are only 4 of the VC01 knots made. I love this handle and it's a 3 band badger knot so it needs more breaking in. This is my 4th use of the brush.

Soap - Blue Samhain - Finally have the kill ring in my sights for this soap.

This brush is taking a lot of work to break in
😵‍💫
. Not for the faint of heart. Yet I'm enjoying it and excited to see it evolve.
315895177_10160585435187930_8232728849512466692_n.jpg
315934996_10160585435432930_7716717779847323755_n.jpg

Head Shave

Razor - WSC Winning Razor - Wow, this razor is smooth. It reminds me of the Henson yet with some heft to it. I really like it and it was very cheap. This one is a keeper.

Brush - TNS Galaxy M1 - Such a unique brush there is nothing else like it on the market.

Soap - Blue Samhain - That much closer...

This was a 3 pass head shave that was very smooth. The first use of the winning razor and I am sold on it. The M1 is such a crazy dense brush for sure the most unique brush I own. I love the handle on it.

316213006_10160588430377930_4598533682926705290_n.jpg
316172836_10160588430387930_1490469024185651992_n.jpg
316254008_10160588430382930_4082894246519945444_n.jpg

Head shave was fun with some new gear.

Razor - Henson Mild - Great razor for the body or the head. Not sure I'd love it on the face. It's very smooth but not very efficient.

Brush - Turn-N-Shave Galaxy M1 - This has to be the densest knot ever created. The handle is more stunning than I ever expected and might be my best-looking handle. The knot is crazy dense. I knew it would be dense and this brush was hard to find as I think only 12 or so were created.

Soap - Blue Samhain - Still explodes with lather.

I finally found a Galaxy M1 brush on the used market. I have wanted this brush for a while as It's supposed to be the densest knot on the market and I knew I had to try it. Also, Turn-N-Shave created the handle and hand-tied this knot. So I knew it would be quality work as I love his L3 knot. While I'm not sure I'm a huge fan of this level of density this brush will stay in my den. The hair on the knot is not even but hey I can't complain.

View attachment 1558362View attachment 1558363

Thats a fantastic brush. Very nice!

Face Shave

Razor - WSC Winning Razor - I still can't believe how good of a razor this is for the price!

Brush - Mozingo ZT3 - I'm starting to like this knot a bit more. It was a bit of a pain to load for my face shave. I like how natural the hair really is on it. It's also pretty dense and maybe would be a bit better if it was a hair less dense.

Soap - PAA Montroso - First time using this soap and needed to try it as I have two tubs of it. The smell of the puck was way too strong for my liking yet once lathered this soap evolved. It really became a very nice scent that surprised me.

Really like everything in this shave. I'm still on the fence about the ZT3 and I have another ZT3 on the way with a different handle. Hoping to compare the two to see if this hair is consistent or not. I don't hate the color way on this handle but not in love either.

315473385_10160594458197930_4904479990681520079_n.jpg
316093199_10160594458192930_2068559313315120811_n.jpg

Top Bottom