What's new

Noble Otter...I am in love.

As the title says...I think I am in love with Noble Otter soaps. Let me rewind a sec and start from the beginning.

As is usually the case, I was perusing this forum and a few others and saw someone mention that Noble Otter soaps were fantastic. So I did my homework, saw they were from Houston, saw they offered a sample pack and figured I would order it.

A few days later I received the package (fast shipping!) and test lathered all 5 soaps to get a feel for the lather consistency and scent. It was quickly apparent that I loved all 5 scents and that the lather quality was pretty good.

At that point, I started shaving with all 5 soaps and I again quickly figured out that the performance isn't quite as good as the top-tier performers I have tried (GD, DG, WK, BM Reserve). Rather, the performance was just short of those 4 and roughly in the same league as Oleo (which is still pretty high praise IMO). But since I was so enamored with the scents, I went ahead and bought a full tub of all 5 scents.

I received those tubs on Monday and have been shaving with these soaps since. What I have learned since is that I needed to add more water more slowly to get the lather texture I was looking for. I also learned that if I get the lather right, the performance of this soap is just as good as that of others in my den. But it does take a lot more effort. I also realized I like the scents even better than I thought because while they smell great in the tub, they reveal a great deal of nuance on the face.

With that said, here are my scent notes...

The Trail: Pine and fir centric. Hard to smell much else but that is OK. It is a fantastically manly scent that is made with all Oregon essential oils and a perfect match for Penhaligon's Blenheim Bouquet which is one of the EdTs in my wardrobe.

Lonestar: Leather and floral notes dominate, but citrus and cedar peek out from underneath. Another manly scent that will pair well with many EdTs...I personally like pairing Floris Special 127 with it, but that is just a personal preference.

Flying Hide: Initially my least favorite of the scents because it seemed like straight leather and somewhat repetitive if one already had Lonestar in the den. But now that I have been able to try it a few times, it has revealed itself to be far more than just leather. It is actually very close to CRSW's Bergamot & Bay with added leather scent. As the lather unfolds, the bergamot and bay really show up on the scent profile. Just awesome. And of course...very manly again.

BarrBarr: This is a crowd pleaser. Still manly but beginning to veer into unisex territory with a citrus and spice profile that strongly reminds me of Eufros Zanzibar. Unsurprisingly, I use Eufros Zanzibar AS balm after this soap and I pair it with Floris Santal EdT to capture the spice component.

THÉ Noir et Vanille: This one is fantastic. The only soap that is firmly unisex, it really smells like a cup of Hong Kong Milk Tea. If you think of black tea, most people think of Breakfast Blends, but this is more in the vain of Darjeeling tea with super floral and marzipane notes.

Not only are all 5 scents fantastic, I appreciate the fact that Noble Otter got the amplitude right. Just strong enough on the face to please, but not overpowering to the extent that an open tub it will scent an entire bathroom or linger on the skin for hours, which makes it pairable with a range of AS/balm and EdT.

In all honesty...between the cost/price, the scents and the performance, there is no better soap right now FOR ME. If Cody improves the base a little to get it in the same ballpark as the performance top dogs, I could see this statement be more broadly appliccable to many others in this community.

So yeah...I am pretty much smitten with these soaps.

Last edited:
Im with you, fantastic soap and right there with WK for me. The trail reminds me a lot of B&M Seville.

Noble Otter has improved their base and come up with some impressive scents recently. The Noir Et Vanille is my favorite so far, it is a beautiful tea/bergamot scent with strawberry and vanilla adding to the fragrance. Performance is excellent, got away with not using any post shave product. Just rubbed in leftover lather and face felt amazing. Look foward to upcoming scent releases from NO.

Good because...I have Thé Noir et Vanille Shaving Soap waiting in the que. Notice the accent over the e in Thé or tea. I had to crib it from the website. The English translation is Black Tea & Vanilla--
video featuring this soap by Rud:

At that point, I started shaving with all 5 soaps and I again quickly figured out that the performance isn't quite as good as the top-tier performers I have tried (GD, DG, WK, BM Reserve). Rather, the performance was just short of those 4 and roughly in the same league as Oleo (which is still pretty high praise IMO). But since I was so enamored with the scents, I went ahead and bought a full tub of all 5 scents.

I have been shaving with BarrBarr and Noir Et Vanille since they were released. This new Noble Otter base, in my use, edges out Wholly Kaw DM by a bit. Better post shave and residual slickness.

I think it’s superior to DG and BM Reserve easily. I could tell that right away. Nothing really can compare to GroomingDept. (We’ll see about the new Tallow and Steel just released today).

So it’s probably the third best soap base made today (imo) standing behind GroomingDept and Tallow & Steel.

Full agreement on the T+S and GD. But have you tried Talbot?

Own 3 Talbot’s and the recent V2 Buttery Brook. Wonderful soaps. I could easily place Talbot fourth. Like Wolfman razors the exclusivity of Talbot ownership results in ever glowing praise which can be hard to interpret as seen with Wolfman razors. Talbot lives up to that praise for the most part but Wolfman, as razors, did not. YMMV of course.

Thanks stef and everyone else ( I think ) :001_smile. Just ordered a tub of The Noir ET Vanille. Looking forward to giving it a try in a few days!

I sure do not regret ordering Thé Noir et Vanille Shaving Soap. I had my first shave with this soap today and it was wonderful. I changed too many variables to give an accurate analysis (new razor, fresh blade) and it was only one shave but the first impression is very positive. I really like the scent particularly after applying the matching AS. I am a veteran tea drinker and could really tell the presence of black tea overlaid with the fruitiness of the strawberry and the floral note provided by the jasmine. What was not obvious to me is the part played by vanilla which I am guessing holds the accord together. In any case, I am really very much enjoying this scent. I am also enjoying (so far) the post shave feel my face has after use of the soap and application of the AS.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
My samples came in so I gave them a spin. Well, this soap is certainly deceptive. At first it seems to just languish in my bowl (I like to just swirl the soap in it's own container then face lather) and not do much. With a fair amount of elbow grease and a few drops of water along the way this soap comes ALIVE!. Nice rich, thick, slick, dense lather. Not as shiny or dense as Declaration Grooming soaps but still very nice. Post face feel is really good. The scents to me are manly and anyone of them are just fine.

Last edited:
My samples came in so I gave them a spin. Well, this soap is certainly deceptive. At first it seems to just languish in my bowl (I like to just swirl the soap in it's own container then face lather) and not do much. With a fair amount of elbow grease and a few drops of water along the way this soap comes ALIVE!. Nice rich, thick, slick, dense lather. Not as shiny or dense as Declaration Grooming soaps but still very nice. Post face feel is really good. The scents to me are manly and anyone of them are just fine.

So....how’s the base compare to some of the other artisan players out there?

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
So....how’s the base compare to some of the other artisan players out there?
Well, I would say a big difference would be the use of clay in some of the other artisan soaps that's not in the Noble Otter. I like clay's sort of slick stickiness, kind of like when your 4X4 is stuck in the mud kind of slick and sticky. Not to say NO is bad without it though.

Just tried my samples. Two years ago this would have been a top-tier soap. Now...for my face st least...it’s meh at best. Had some decent shaves. But....nothing to write home about. Great lather...however...not nearly as cushioning and protective for me as the WK, GD, etc. of the world. Post shave was nothing special either. Scents OK...but didn’t knock my socks off. And faded rather quickly when lathering on my face. All in all...a solid B. No more than that. They really need to step up their base game if they hope to compete and survive.....YMMV....

First review like this that I've seen out of many. YMMV sums it up perfectly as I use all the soaps you mention and Noble Otter is right there with them for me. YMMV.

Top Bottom