What's new

Noble Otter...I am in love.

When a soapmaker is trying to produce a $15-25 soap that approximates a cologne that costs $100 and up per ounce, they are never going to make it smell like the real thing. For one thing, the ingredients of the soap itself have their own impact upon the scent. The vast majority of us have never purchased an expensive cologne so we do not have the original with which to compare the soap fragrance. As long as it smells "nice" to us and those we are closest to, we are happy.

When a soapmaker is trying to produce a $15-25 soap that approximates a cologne that costs $100 and up per ounce, they are never going to make it smell like the real thing. For one thing, the ingredients of the soap itself have their own impact upon the scent. The vast majority of us have never purchased an expensive cologne so we do not have the original with which to compare the soap fragrance. As long as it smells "nice" to us and those we are closest to, we are happy.

So I have quite a few expensive colognes (Penhaligon's, Floris, Dyptique, Comme des Garcons, Houbigant) and many inexpensive ones (Givenchy, Guerlain, Lalique) and I agree that even attempts at clones cannot actually clone a soap scent. But some get very close. There is a post on another board where these combos/clones are shared, but from my own experience, A&E Vetiver Magnifique is pretty close to the Vetiver from Guerlain it is trying to clone. One that is less intentional yet shockingly close is Noble Otter Nectar Amissa relative to Houbigant Fougere Royale. Certainly, the fact that you can get close is enough for some to go to extraordinary lengths to procure these LE soaps. I happen to not be one of them, but to each their own.

Is Nectar Armissa a "safe" scent? I would like to buy my first NO soap but can't chose one scent...
Nectar Armissa leans toward a cologne scent IMO, which I generally don't care for, but in this case it is pretty good. The other scent that I have tried Barrbarr is very safe IMO. Neither are very strong, actually about perfect strength, which makes them somewhat inherently safe.

Nectar Armissa leans toward a cologne scent IMO, which I generally don't care for, but in this case it is pretty good. The other scent that I have tried Barrbarr is very safe IMO. Neither are very strong, actually about perfect strength, which makes them somewhat inherently safe.
Nectar Amissa is definitely a cologne clone scent. I think it is well done, but Lonestar, The Noir and BarrBarr are much safer choices.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

My tub of Noble Otter Two Kings arrived yesterday. I shaved with it later in the evening.

When I cracked open the tub upon arrival, I was greeted with a rose forward scent. The other scents in the accord were subdued at that point. However, after the tub warmed up a bit and I lathered the soap, the rose scent took a step back and the other scents stepped up to fill their rightful place. Here are the scent notes as described by the soapmaker.

Top Notes: Black Currant, Citrus
Heart Notes: Jasmine, Lily of the Valley, Rose, Carnation

Base Notes: Incense, Oud, Sandalwood, Oakmoss

Thus, the blend is a nice balance between fruity, flowery, and spicy.

Once lathered, I had a difficult time picking out any individual scent. Everything blended together into an accord fit for Two Kings. I have some other soaps that have notes of rose and oud, the two primary notes around which the accord is based, but this one is different. I like complex, cologne type scents and Two King ranks quite well. It is definitely one of the tubs I will pull out to smell periodically, even when it is not time for its appearance in my soap rotation.

As for performance, I rank it an "A" level soap, just below the elite "A+" level. The soap loads and lathers easily, has excellent slickness (primary and residual) and excellent cushion when properly hydrated. The post-shave feel is very good, but not quite up to the level of elite soaps. Those who do not need a high level of moisturizing and conditioning or those who like to use a separate aftershave lotion or balm might prefer this to the soaps I consider to be excellent on this metric.

Two Kings is a welcome addition to my shave den. It joins several other Noble Otter scents.

@RayClem thanks for your impression, can I ask if I your opinion Two Kings is a "fall/winter" scent?

Is it on the dark side?

Can you compare it with some B&M/DG scent?

I guess I would say that Two Kings is a cross between a barbershop scent and a cologne scent. The rose makes it seem powdery. It certainly is not a bright scent like some citrus scents, but neither is it overly dark. I would use it year round.

Wow, great soap. I definitely feel it competes with the best of the best. I used Two Kings today and can't wait to use The Noir et Vanille. I'm an instant fan. The scents are great. The slickness and cushion are great. Post feel is extremely nice. The Aftershave was a little strong on alcohol, but upon dry down felt wonderful.

Noble Otter's soap is a fantastic performer, but as much as I've tried I've to love them, I've found the scents lack luster.

Flying Hide was nice, but I didn't enjoy it enough to want to make a purchase.

The Trail and Lonestar were okay to my nose.

I'm indifferent about Monarch. There are aspects of the scent I like very much, but I find it to have an overpowering sweetness.

I didn't particularly enjoy Nectar Amissa or Noir Et Vanille.

I sold my set of Texaus a few weeks ago because the scent just didn't jive with me again.

However, I recently got a sample of Barrbarr and this is the first one that I can say I strongly liked at first sniff. I haven't used it yet, but will soon. Hoping it will be a winner!

I liked Barrbarr at first but after a few uses and finishing up the sample, ultimately decided it's a bit too powdery.

But...I caved and ordered a set of Two Kings since it was in stock. I'm a sucker for rose scented things. Tracking said Thursday so it surprised me by showing up today. I've had a cold so my sniffer is still down on the job, but from what I could smell it's very nice. Looking forward to more shaves with it once I can smell fully again.

I have had Noir for a couple of months now. I just got 3 more - BarrBarr, Two Kings and Monarch. What can I say .... The scents are just awesome. I am a fan of Noble otter. My search has ended with Noble otter and Wholly kaw.

I have had Noir for a couple of months now. I just got 3 more - BarrBarr, Two Kings and Monarch. What can I say .... The scents are just awesome. I am a fan of Noble otter. My search has ended with Noble otter and Wholly kaw.

Interestingly, after getting side tracked by trying several other artisans over the last year, I have come back to my Noble Otter soaps and find that their scents are the ones I like using the most. Before someone asks...no, their current base cannot compete with the performance of the bases of the likes of Zingari, DG Milksteak, GD, A&E Goast Milk, etc etc, but there are only two other artisans whose scents bring me as much joy as NO's....Eufros and APR. And NO performs best when paired with my Tatara Masamune, I find.

Top Bottom