What's new

"No brainer" razor/blade combo

We've all had those days. Days you don't want to have to be careful, you don't want to spend the extra time, days you don't care about the pampering, but days you still need to achieve a close shave without irritation.

Last night, I found myself needing to shave. It was after 10:00, and I was spent for the day. I wanted a good, "no brainer" shave, no thinking required. I wanted to be able to just fling that steel across my face willy-nilly with no ill effects.

My shaving combo: Merkur 34c (HD) razor with a Personna blue-wrapper blade. Fourth shave on the blade, and it's still going strong. The razor I learned to DE shave with. The alum rub was just for kicks, zero sting-back.

What is YOUR "no brainer" combo?

Gosh all of the three razors I own are on the mild side. The 34c I haven't used in a couple weeks since the Kronos M1 arrived. But either of those gives a great shave without fear of getting thrashed if I'm in a hurry. Same with the '55 Super Speed. Any of them would be up to this situation.

Oh, and an Astra SP

I've got a few no brain setups, but these are my favorites:

Tech/Feather
RR Jaws/Feather

My ATT Slants are coming on strong too. I just need to try a few more blades in them.

Interesting. My Jaws definitely required my full attention. I now have a Cadet instead (basically the same head, different handle), and even it delivers a safer shave. And I still have yet to try a Feather in anything. Honestly, I'm surprised to see anyone day Feather is part of a no-brainer setup, especially with an open comb.

Interesting. My Jaws definitely required my full attention. I now have a Cadet instead (basically the same head, different handle), and even it delivers a safer shave. And I still have yet to try a Feather in anything. Honestly, I'm surprised to see anyone day Feather is part of a no-brainer setup, especially with an open comb.

I've never had an issue with the Jaws. It's my way to early in the morning, bleary eyed, dayshift go to razor. Two quick passes with a Feather and no real prep work gets it done.

If you've never tried a Feather in a Tech, you're missing out. A Feather in a truly mild razor is a pussycat.

For the record, I'm not one of the tough guy types. My ATT R2 requires all of my attention. I'll get an H2 at some point, but right now I'm afraid I'd be biting off more than I can chew. I can get away with a little less focus on my New, but it will still bite if I'm not careful. OC doesn't necessarily equate to aggressiveness. The same can be said of sharp blades.

ETA: I tried a Personna in my Jaws once. It was a mistake I will never repeat. I think some razors require a good sharp blade to shave smoothly.

To me?

Flair Tip Rocket or Parat with Feather blade.

I can't get a closer shave with less effort of any other combination. Maybe it will work in all smooth Gillette TTO and Techs as good.
The Feather is much less smooth in other combinations and so being far from my favorite blade. But in these two razors it shines.
The Mongoose with Feather Pro is a runner-up after about ten shaves.

Top Bottom