What's new

no-ATG club

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Injector razors are also very rigid. SE blades I believe are ~.009" thick. DE blades are ~.004" thick. That difference is instantly noticed.

A rigid design can help immensely with ATG shaving.

I have a Muhle R41, and even on my third pass ATG I can have issues. All my other razors are rigid designs and I shave ATG second pass, but with the R41 I cant. My second pass needs to be XTG or it will skip.

Completely stopped doing ATG passes a long tim ago. As a daily shaver it really doesn't make sense.

I've found that a double WTG pass on my face is perfectly suffice, and for my headdhaves I use a WTG/XTG combo with touch ups.

Works like a charm!

I rarely go ATG. I wear a full beard and only hit the few hairs that fall well out of the beard line a couple times a week. No real need for ATG there.

I also shave my head 2-5 times a week. I do 2-3 passes front to back, more or less WTG. That gets me plenty good enough for me. Going ATG barely has any noticeable difference and it only last few hours at best, but it greatly increases the chance of ingrown hairs. I'd rather have a tiny bit of stubble that I can feel, but no one will notice than have a big red spot that lasts for days and everyone can see from across the room.

I go ATG from the start of a shave on all areas except upper lip below nose, where I go WTG /XTG/ATG. I've tried other methods but my best shaves have to be primarily ATG or I can feel stubble afterwards. I enjoy ATG - it's the route to a polished finish for me.

I’m a daily shaver, razors in my collection I have used daily ATG that were just fine and get BBS include my pre-war Tech, Fendrihan Mark II, Standard Razor Aluminum, Game Changer, all the Gillette Adjustables, use setting 2 against the grain only, the Variant, use lowest setting against the grain only and after much practice, my Timeless 95 OC.

I think as your technique improves, BBS becomes an afterthought going ATG on daily shaves. I think prep, good lather and post shave moisturizer are key.

I'm new to DE shaving, and have not yet worked up the nerve for an ATG shave; My hair is curly and prone to ingrowns, and my skin is prone to irritation.

With my few XTG shaves, I did experience a bit of irritation, so I am working on perfecting that before I take the next step.

Maybe I'll get there someday. A few hours of BBS would be fantastic.

I'm new to DE shaving, and have not yet worked up the nerve for an ATG shave; My hair is curly and prone to ingrowns, and my skin is prone to irritation.

With my few XTG shaves, I did experience a bit of irritation, so I am working on perfecting that before I take the next step.

Maybe I'll get there someday. A few hours of BBS would be fantastic.
BBS will come, don't worry. If I were you I'd spend a good deal of time working with just one blade that you like - a month would be good. Towards the end of that time you'll be so familiar with the blade that ATG won't seem so off-putting. Good luck!

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Back in the day I don’t remember anyone doing more then one pass. It may have consisted of multiple directions depending on hair growth but no relathering etc. I do a WTG and an ATG every shave but I use a straight razor and they aren’t prone to razor burn. Generally much more comfortable than a DE.

I'm on the fence right now about bailing on ATG. I'm relatively new to DE shaving so I may just not have the technique down yet. Really focusing on not using any pressure when shaving ATG. I still haven't figured out how NOT to get the bumps on my neck which I assume are in-grown hairs. So I've been giving it a few days break before I do an ATG pass. Hoping to perfect the WTG/XTG/ATG sequence. I love the BBS on my neck but I don't think it's worth it if I can't eliminate the bumps. The quest continues.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned (I didn't read the entire thread)...

Something that will help some of you (and won't help others) that are having problems going ATG: skin stretching.

I have little tree stumps for whiskers and extremely soft, sensitive skin. I go BBS every day, whether shaving with a DE or straight. There is no way I could go ATG using either DE or straight without skin stretching on every ATG stroke.

Just something to try. It'll work (or it won't). :)

I'm like the OP, I shave everyday. I also do not do an ATG. However, I do Catercorner my second and third pass. Instead of going XTG (-) I go from the lower jowl towards the nose. It will look like (/) if you look at my right side, which would be to your left as you look at me. The third pass I go from my chin to my ear. So it will look like a (\). I do get a BBS shave this way, but it is never as harsh as an ATG. My BBS lasts most of the day. However, if I shave ATG the BBS lasts 2/3rds of a day. However, ATG is only for those times I allow at least two days between shaves and I'm preparing for something very special. Considering as of right now I am shaving everyday, ATG is out of the question.

As those above me have stated, if I use an R41 two passes is all that's going to happen. This I do when traveling for time's sake.

So if I'm using decent gear, Merkur 25c, Derby blades, Proraso green, and a Semogue 820 and getting the irritation and red bumps when shaving ATG on my neck is it just my technique that's lacking?

Hi everyone,

from reading the forums, I know I am not alone when considering shaving ATG.
I have been wetshaving for 3 years now, but I shave daily (6 times a week). So I have a lot of shaves under by belt. But I will never be able to shave ATG on parts of my face. Cheeks and right side of upper lip (funny enough) would allow it. Also the sides of the chin. But middle of the chin and my whole neck (especially neck) would not allow it.
I do have a very sensitive skin, but before you say: "you should not shave daily", I did experiment with letting my skin rest for few days. No real difference.
I think the main reason is the hair growth on my neck. Hair is growing practically parallel to my skin and where it reaches the skin it creates a bump, that's sticking out.
And so if I go against the grain, it cannot be avoided to cut the hair under the skin (i.e. bump) and thus this hair will most likely be ingrown. Secondly because of the bump, I will also create irritation, no matter the angle or blade sharpness.

Those of you, who are in the same boat, please describe your reason not to go ATG.

Those who had those issue but overcame them, please share :)
I would say we are similar in regards to sensitivity and hair growth on the neck. I was never able to achieve a smooth and comfortable ATG shave on my neck until I used the Timeless .95 OC. It's a great DE razor.

The Paradigm SE razor makes any ATG pass anywhere on my face effortless. It's buttery smooth and gives zero irritation, bumps or ingrown hairs.

I would say once your technique is dialed in, the next step would be finding the razor best suited to the task for your face, skin and beard type.

Sent from my Nokia 7.1 using Tapatalk

I gave up on shaving ATG completely. I don't like the feel on my skin, I always get irritation, even if I use a milder razor. I don't like the pulling feeling, I get acne, my face turns red if I get sweaty, etc. I like to do less passes with an "aggressive" razor.

Daily shaver, don't do ATG. Use EJ razor exclusively, with Feather blades. Rarely go for Personna, or Derby.
The first pass is strict WTG, shallow angle, buffing. For the second pass I prefer XTG riding the cap. I found that changing the angle to more aggressive on a second WTG pass on certain areas (never on my neck) is good enough for satisfactory result. Touch ups with shallow angle, always. Took me a while to learn how to use the weight of razor rather than pressure. I think I got the hang of it, looking to master the art.
If I miss something somewhere - there will be tomorrow's shave.

Last edited:
I get close shaves without ATG but lately I do try it a bit when I use the Focus r48 as it is almost impossible to cut yourself with this razor.

I gave up on shaving ATG completely. I don't like the feel on my skin, I always get irritation, even if I use a milder razor. I don't like the pulling feeling, I get acne, my face turns red if I get sweaty, etc. I like to do less passes with an "aggressive" razor.
Yes as of this morning i am so done with ATG. Tried every which way i could. Not worth the irritation. I love the bbs but in the end not worth the red bumps and irritationn. Makes me look and feel like a pizza. Buh bye.

Top Bottom