What's new

no-ATG club

I gave up on shaving ATG completely. I don't like the feel on my skin, I always get irritation, even if I use a milder razor. I don't like the pulling feeling, I get acne, my face turns red if I get sweaty, etc. I like to do less passes with an "aggressive" razor.

Sorry to hear. If you have issues with a mild razor and sharp blade, I can’t offer any other advice other than changing blades or prep. A shower prior or a slick cream like the Body Shop brand could help but I’m not in your position to see your entire routine.
I can get smooth BBS with even soft-soap handsoap using razors like Old Types, GCs and my pre-war Tech when late for work. I feel for you guys.
Good luck.

It only took 35 years of irritation for me to realise that the bottom inch of my beard in my neck actually grow upwards. All the time I thought I was shaving WTG down my neck, I was, for the most of it, apart from the bit that was always sensitive. Apparently, most men have the same pattern. Now I start by shaving upwards for the first inch in my neck, then down from my chin, with much better results. Like you I shave daily, when I leave it for more than three days, I start getting issues with ingrown hairs. I use a straight razor now and after the first pass I shave ATG upwards in my neck, which is actually WTG on the sensitive bit, and XTG from my ears to my mouth for best results. Can't do the ATG on my cheeks and lips with a straight.

@Biltong & Boerewors I have the exact same pattern on my neck. I can shave ATG at the bottom of my neck IF I apply very, very little pressure and shave at more of an angle than a true ATG. I see so many shaving videos where the guy is shaving down his entire neck and it hurts me just to watch them!

I can't get the level of shave that I want without going ATG. I can do so with no irritation or weepers. Taking my time, the result is a BBS shave. I have tough hair, and sensitive skin.

I shave with DEs for 20 yrs.+, I shave on a daily basis, 7 days a week. Several dermatologists confronted me with a "mild to medium PFB" diagnosis over these years. So, I shouldn't shave too close to prevent ingrown hairs. I should know it better. And what do I do? You might guess it. I always try to find "new ways" to get away with an ATG shave, regularly, and I pay for it every time, for several weeks, regularly.

And for what? I don't know. I get a decent DFS with a two pass WTG shave even with a DE89 (with skin stretching and buffing - I learned how to achieve that). If I have a streak where I shave with discipline only WTG, I often get compliments that I look very well groomed (and always clean shaven). So, there is absolutely no need to shave ATG, but I can't help myself.

If I touch my face, when I go ATG with my fingers, of course there is stubble. And then I get dissatisfied. And all starts all over again. I want that Goldfinger James Bond Sean Connery looks shave. And look at his make-up coverd razor bumps when the lighting isn't perfect ...

Maybe I have some kind of OCD (ATG shave obsession disorder, or a BBS fixation disorder or something like that).

Funny thing is, of course I love to shave. And with a two pass WTG shave, I could shave twice a day! My skin can take that (ok, not with a Fatip or R41). That would be a good thing. That would be a reinforcement for a only WTG shave, wouldn't it? But no, I can't help myself. The urge to try an ATG pass is too strong. Temptation will come, and I will give in, sooner or later ...

My goal is achieving BBS comfortably. I can’t get that without going ATG. The chin and mustache area are the only places not getting ATG.

@Cracker I think we all may be OCD when it comes to shaving and this is our support group :)

Lately I've just been settling for two passes with some quasi-ATG touch ups but not a full ATG pass on my neck. Until I get it into my head I must achieve the BBS with ATG and it all starts again.

For many years I have done an ATG pass above the jawline but avoid shaving ATG on the neck.

However a few months ago I got a couple of ingrowns on my cheek. In retrospect I think it was due to being too aggressive with stretching while shaving ATG with a Feather DX. That was a big surprise as I never had this happen before using a DE or shavette. I did get some warning signs a few shaves in the weeks before as an aftershave balm that never stung before felt uncomfortable when applied. I have recovered/healed but now I am much more careful about being aggressive with ATG.

Let’s just acknowledge that it’s ok not to go AGT, you are not less than a man because of it. I can go AGT with good results only with Rockwell 6S plates 1 and 2, sometimes with Fatip testina gentile, and that’s because of my irregular neck hair pattern and parallel growing. I need 2-3 recovery days just because it’s convenient for me to keep the N-S movement, but I have 90% disastrous results by doing so.

Do whatever works for you and enjoy shaving. You are not alone in your NO AGT shaving journey.

Went through 6 yrs, 1 day. Of only BBS is authorized daily for work(USN). It hurt then. So now it’s only 1 pass NS for work(civilian) about every 36-47 48hrs.

Top Bottom