What's new

njt's shave journey v2

Good to hear! Things start paying off so much quicker you'd think, right?

I touch up mine on a balsa strop with the green 5 micron CrOx. I do 10 or so laps with the same pressure as basic stropping. Then just a rinse and quick strop to take any bite off. I've only done this twice, but it seems to be working quite well.

Have a great weekend and enjoy the nice weather. Beautiful day here in NYC too!

Good to hear! Things start paying off so much quicker you'd think, right?

I touch up mine on a balsa strop with the green 5 micron CrOx. I do 10 or so laps with the same pressure as basic stropping. Then just a rinse and quick strop to take any bite off. I've only done this twice, but it seems to be working quite well.

I will have to try the pasted strop to see what I think. I plan to use the 1um film over paper a few more time just to get the hang of it. Then I'll try the balsa for comparison. Thanks for sharing.

Shave #21

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Pre-shave oil - Taconic organic unscented oil
Brush - Saville Row silver tip
Cella shave soap
Razor - vintage Le Grelot p. hospital
Shaves on honed edge - 14
Shaves since last touch-up; 0
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Moisturizer; Jason's vitamin E moisturizing cream
Cologne; Creed Vetiver
25 passes on linen, 30 on leather

MILESTONES; Boy, I feel good today. The weather is finally warm, 80 degrees, I made Dutch Babies for me and my wife with some awesome Machiattos, and the touch-up I did yesterday to my Le Grelot did an amazing job - I had the best straight shave ever this morning. Just the cleanest and most comfortable shave I have ever had. I had never freshened up a blade before. I took my time, did a lot of reading, watched videos, etc but one never knows what the temperature of the water is till one dips their toes in. The edge I brought back is better than the one the razor came with. Maybe I am shaving better too. I remember the just honed edge as being a bit "pointy" a bit scary sharp. The edge this morning was sharp but so comfortable. The shaving was effortless.

I am taking notes. Will be interesting to see how many shaves till I feel the edge needs a refresh.

The new Walkin Horse strop is still awesome. I have been adding passes to the regime simply because it is so fast, easy and pleasurable.

A twofer - best shave and first edge refresh.

Have a great weekend guys and thanks for reading and the support.

For 21 shaves in, you are all over this buddy! Meaning you are really nailing it and I have been where you are today and I couldn't be happier for you. Enjoy the moment with humility ........... you have arrived!

Frank

Shave #22

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Cella shave soap
Shaves on honed edge - 15
Shaves since last touch-up; 1
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Another lovely shave. Still a few spots that need work. Under the nose, under the chin. I go ATG in both those spots after the WTG pass but don't always clean it up well enough. It's a feel thing that I need time to attain.

I am making larger sweeping moves with the razor now. It feels right to do.

The razor was super sharp and smooth. I am almost ready to call the retouching of the edge on film a complete success. Perhaps a few more shaves will tell the tale.

-Nicholas

Shave #23

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Cella shave soap slightly runny
Shaves on honed edge - 16
Shaves since last touch-up; 3
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Today was a repeat of yesterday. I am relived that the edge is holding up really well. In fact I think it has improved from when I bought the blade. It is just as sharp but more comfortable to shave on. I don't feel like it wants to cut my skin anymore; just whiskers. The polishing on 1um film over wet paper and the Walkin Horse strop are making the edge sing.

I am getting more comfortable with handling a razor. I think of it like it is one of my guitars. Handling it like a musical instrument. So I have a fairly light grip, 3 fingers only. Just enough to guide, direct and make the pass. I start the razor moving before it touches my face, and I look 2 or 3 times at the blade angle before I let it touch down.

When I reflect on all that goes into making a great shave there are quite a few moving pieces here. No wonder we all struggle with it at times. IT TAKES TIME:)

I appreciate every ones support and that we are all on this journey together.

-Nicholas

Shave #24

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Shaves on honed edge - 17
Shaves since last touch-up; 4
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Howdy guys; a very good shave this morning. I am getting just about everything with one wtg pass.

I noticed that I hold the razor at an angle and cut on the bias - sideways to the whiskers. It's
unconscious. I am trying to notice the subtleties so that I can report some of them back here. It may be a help to someone else. I remember last year when I first started that I tried to hold the razor perpendicular to the whiskers. Which made cutting harder for sure. There was a large area of whiskers trying to be cut all at once. I'm no genius. It's easier to hold the razor at an angle. My wrist feels most relaxed there.

I found out that the Le Grelot I am using is somewhat unique in terms of the steel as compared to the rest of the line. Mine is marked 52. It is the only model which was made with some very hard Swedish steel. I think this model may have been aimed more at barbers than home users. Just a guess. It is a 5/8 and I like it very much. I have two 6/8's on the way that are made with the softer French steel. It will be interesting to compare how they feel and work.

Stay well-

Shave #25

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Shaves on honed edge - 18
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver
30 passes on linen, 30 on leather

I did something this morning that I was going to wait to try. The pasted balsa strop. My shave yesterday was not as close. I felt that the keenness of the blade may have been starting to fade. I have a busy day today. Film and granite seemed like a chore compared to a balsa pasted strop which I have on-hand. I did 40 laps each on the green and red, then 60 on leather. That brought the edge back. I'll know more as the day wears on and I see how quickly the beard returns. I have no opinion as to whether the pasted balsa or the film is better at refreshing an edge yet. I want to say the edge seemed sharper on the pasted strop. Hovering the blade over my forearm cut more hair compared to the film. I have a lot to learn about using both film and pasted balsa. I will use both over a period of time and see which wins out.

I did cut myself a tiny bit under my nose. Just at the middle, bottom just inside my right nostril. Can you feel it? I have never done that before. It's tiny. Looks like a red scratch and stings. This is a problem area for me in terms of getting a close enough shave. The work continues.

Shave #26

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Shaves on honed edge - 19
Shaves since last touch-up; 2
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Hey Everyone,
I have come to the conclusion that I like to shave on a freshly retouched edge. It is less effort and the shave is closer. I will get my film out so that it is ready next time for the touch-up on a moments notice.

Improvement is still coming. The shaves are much speedier now. I have also continued to figure out better angles (except for under my nose - that place is a mystery). Some of the improvement now is because my razor handling skills are better. I am taking larger swipes and going with the contours of my face in one motion.

Still waiting for two new Le Grelot's to show up in the mailbox.

Shave #27

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Razor - vintage Le Grelot p. hospital Le Merle Blanc
Shaves on honed edge - ?
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Fireworks - I had a really interesting shave this morning. A new Le Grelot came in the post yesterday. Bought it on BST. It was not shave ready by my standards - primitive though they may be. It really wasn't cutting arm hair. I pulled out the 1um and went at it 60 passes. Still not really cutting that well but better. So I got out the 3um - 60 passes, then 1um 60 them 1um over damp paper for 50 passes. Now we were cutting hair. Decided to finish on pasted balsa with green and 60 laps on the horsehide.

What was REALLY interesting was how differently this razor feels and shaves from my other Le Grelot that is made with harder Swedish steel. It is night and day. The French steel has all kinds of sounds and feedback; fireworks! The Swedish steel just cuts without much sound or feedback at all. I appreciate the business attitude the Swedish steel has. I looked at the grinds and they appear identical. I like the "show" the French steel puts on. Sounds like I am buttering croissants or toast. The tiniest bit more twitchy in the hand.

But..... I felt that I had to do twice as much work with the French steel to get the same shave. I will know the truth at the end of the day when it starts to grow back in. Is it as close or not?

The French steel just feel lighter in the hand even though the blade weighs another 5 grams more. I wonder if perhaps I should go through the 3um/1um progression again?? Perhaps this blade still isn't sharp enough?

Thanks for reading.

Hi Guys,

I received another Le Grelot p hospital in the mail yesterday. Came with the original box. The pins are super tight and it looks like it has never been sharpened. My initial instinct is that it is NOS. But a post to the wider forum and the experts don't think so. There should be some lettering on the blade and one member thinks he can see some hone wear. I have a lot to learn. I have some 12um and 5um on the way next week. I have never set a bevel but after a couple good experiences doing touchups on film I feel I could go slowly and accomplish the task. I got it for a great price. I am excited to get it shaving soon.

I started a thread about this razor in the general straight razor area. I am hoping to find out a bit more about it from the general membership. Here are a couple quick pics.

View attachment 461063
View attachment 461064

Last edited:
Shave #28

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Razor - Bengal
Shaves on honed edge - 8
Shaves since last touch-up;
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Some frustration today and impatience with the edge on Le Merle Blanc. My newly acquired Le Grelot that I paid a pretty penny for did not come shave ready as promised. I came to the conclusion today after a couple passes that my touch-up yesterday was not enough. Thankfully I have the other Grelot and a Bengal. I decided to give the Bengal some love and was quickly reminded what a sharp razor feels like.

Le Merle Blanc was brought down to the razor hospital and given 60 passes on 3um, 60 on 1um, 40 on 1um over paper, 40 on green pasted balsa, 40 on red pasted balsa, 30 linen, 30 horsehide. It seems better now but I think this one came to me screwed up. I think the bevel needs to be reset. The 12um and 5um honing film will arrive next week. If the shave starts out as a lot of work again tomorrow I will put the razor aside and try my best at resetting the edge for the first time.

Thanks for reading. Time to take the dog for a stroll.

Shave #28

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Razor - Le Grelot special coiffeur
Shaves on honed edge - 20
Shaves since last touch-up; 3
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Anyone who is just starting out and reading this; do yourself a favor. Spend the $20 and get your razor honed by one of the experts. I am so thankful that I have two. One honed by "Hillbilly" and the other by "Doc". Some guys on B&B will hone for beginners for free. Such a great bunch of guys! You will need the comparison once you get touching up your own blades, but most importantly you will have a nice smooth blade to get your first few shaves in on. The straights can be "kind of" sharp, will shave, and give lots of irritation and general tugging all at the same time. A miserable "what is all the fuss about" experience. A sharp blade is like a hot knife through butter on those whiskers.

The journey continues in unexpected ways. Makes things interesting. I tried Le Merle Blanc this morning after having gone through the 3um, 1um etc progression for a third time. No dice. The bevel needs to be reset. If the bevel is not set right and cutting cleanly then all the touch ups in the world aren't going to help me. Darn... I decided to start investigating bevel setting approaches other than film. I came up with a set of Naniwa
superstones; 1k, 5k, 8k and a 12k finisher. I have one Le Grelot that is dull as a butter knife and this other that I think is going to be amazing but needs to be reset. The stones look easier to setup than film, quicker too perhaps. The Special Coiffeur I am currently shaving on was honed on Norton stones with a Chinese 12k finisher, so I thought, why not stones?

The Special Coiffeur did not disappoint this morning. Super close, no feedback, no fuss, no muss. Just smooth as silk.

I have been looking at stropping videos. It seemed that everyone was getting more sound off the hide than me. I have been literally just using the weight of the razor which I think may be a tad too light. I am now holding the razor by the shank instead of the scales. It is a bit steadier that way. And I think I am a bit more level on the hide too. Now I am getting a bit of sound off the hide. I'll see if it keeps my razors from needing as many touchups.

Its all coming along at its own pace. All the pieces fitting together. Can't wait to get my stones. I am really wanting to get those other two Le Grelots into the rotation.

I think I will shave with the Bengal tomorrow. I think it is a 3/4 hollow. Just a guess. More feedback than the Special Coiffeur but less than Le Merle Blanc. What is a White Blackbird anyway?

Best Happy Fathers Day Y'all

Nicholas it's great to share your progress as I have exactly the same # of shaves in as of today. My fathers day shave was with a CVH MK32 that I got from a member here on BST not long ago and it was wonderful, his honing is outstanding, so is this razor. I echo your comments about starting out with razors honed by the real master honers hear on the forums, it makes a huge difference in the beginners experience. Just knowing what a truly sharp and smooth razor can do and not having to think about the edge being (SHAVE READY) or not lets me concentrate on developing the very best of skills with the razor & strop and consiquently the shaving experience develops in a very positive way. So happy you are getting such good shaves, the puzzle takes shape and comes into focus. Happy fathers day to all FrankC

Hi Frank,

Congrats on the # of shaves. We are on the steep end of the learning curve together. Each shave is teaching me something.

Edge condition is critical for the beginner. A beginner has enough going on just to concentrate on the skills required.

I have my Bengal which Doc honed for me. I have not shaved with it much as I use it to judge what an edge should feel like.

The CVH MK32 sounds wonderful. I have read a lot about those razors. I will strive to get one into my collection that is in good condition.

I am off to a slightly rocky start on my collection of razors. Only 4 so far. Two of which are shave ready. I am learning a lot about condition and how to recognize it. This includes hone wear as well as how to judge an edge. And how about "shoulders"? Who knew razors could have them:)

Best!

Shave #29

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Razor - Bengal
Shaves on honed edge - 9
Shaves since last touch-up;
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

The Bengal has "had it". This one gets put aside to be refreshed. I am running on fumes now. Just the Special Coiffeur Le Grelot to get me through till the hones arrive. I am going to wait to refresh the Bengal till I receive the stones.

Boy, things grind to a halt quickly when the edge is not up to snuff. That is why I decided to purchase a full set of Naniwa stones this weekend. I started on film. Refreshed the edge on the Special Coiffeur and had a great result. But couldn't find 30um film with which to set a bevel. Setting up the film was not as quick as I would like it to be for refreshing an edge. I could have the 12k finisher under the sink in the bathroom and be ready to go for a refresh right away. Such is the pace of life some days.

The edge, the edge, the edge… Tonight I will give the Special Coiffeur a light touch up. I have quite a bit of work to do once those stones arrive. I plan to start with Le Merle Blanc. I am going to reset the bevel and go through the entire progression. I spent some of fathers day watching videos on YouTube. I have the concepts down and hope the feel will be there too.

If I have trouble then I will reach out to anyone in the Boston area willing to mentor me. I believe in the buddy system.

Shave #30

The routine essentials;

Strop - Walkin Horse Horsebutt
60 passes on the leather

Shower
Razor - Le Grelot Special Coiffeur
Shaves on honed edge - 21
Scuttle - Dirty Bird

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

The fun quickly grinds to a halt when one runs out of well honed and sharpened razors. I am struggling here with a small group of razors (four) 2 of which are not shave ready, one that needs a touch-up and the Special Coiffeur which I have kept running on film touch-ups but am no longer sure that the job I am doing is good enough. I have noticed that I don't always get the razor perfectly flat on my strop or on the film. Well, it's flat but not with perfectly even pressure from heel to toe. Sometimes my fingers are tilting the razor slightly. A little pressure at the heel usually. Time to take a deep breath and evaluate. Naniwa hone set is on the way; maybe tomorrow, Thursday at the latest unless the local post office runs out of gas and decides to deliver via Pony Express as they sometimes do. If I move slowly with concentration and intent I may be able to get the Special Coiffeur or the Bengal Sheffield back on track using the 12k stone.

Such is life. I did not expect to do so well on the shaving part that I was going to go through my 2 sharp razors so quickly. But then I think I was expecting that my stellar stropping skills would get me a month of shaves from each razor before they even needed a touch-up.
:blush:

I am having a lot of fun with this hobby. Give a type A personality a straight razor and then stand back to see what happens. I would have bought a new TI and had someone hone it up for me if I had thought this would happen. One more sharp razor would see me through some honing trials.

The honing journey pace quickens. Down to one decent edged razor. Did 20 laps on 1um film over paper with it last night but it didn't feel as sharp as I thought it should be this morning during the shave. Tonight did 10 light laps on 1um followed by 10 light laps on 1um film over paper, then 60 passes on the horsehide. Will see how that feels in the morning after another 60 passes on the leather before my shower.

Naniwa stones may be in the mailbox tomorrow. I am holding off sharpening the one other razor that might be brought back to life on 3um and 1um film till the stones get here. I would like to spend my hours becoming proficient on the superstones.

I am having some difficulty holding the razor perfectly flat on the film. I have been trying different grips. Watching videos and reading. Getting a feel for how to hold the razor over a sharpening surface is more difficult than I had imagined. It will come with time.

Top Bottom