What's new

njt's shave journey v2

Is the stropping motion supposed to be an X pattern no matter the size of the strop - or is just back and forth in a straight line proper technique?

I don't think it really matters, as long as you cover the length of the blade. If an x does that for your, that's fine. If concentrating on the toe first then the heel is more comfortable, good too. IMO

Lucky Shave #13

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Pre-shave oil - Taconic organic unscented oil
Brush - Saville Row silver tip
Cella shave soap
Razor - vintage Le Grelot p. hospital (shave 7 on fresh edge)
Scuttle - Dirty Bird
minor cleanup up with DE

post-shave;

Moisturizer; Jason's vitamin E moisturizing cream
Cologne; Creed Vetiver
25 passes on the leather strop for cleanup

Another good shave today. I am noticing that my right hand is accelerating past the left in terms of shave quality and certainly speed. I get a great shave on the right hand side of my face in about 5 minutes. The left hand side is not as good and takes a bit over 10 minutes to do. The off hand coordination is just going to take some time. Part of the issue is my non-dominant eye coupled with the non-dominant hand both trying to do a job together. They are trying so hard and have done a great job. No cuts, weepers or nicks.

I love being able to follow the contour of my chin straight down and around. That was such a problem area when I first tried straights a year ago. If I had been more patient with the process I would have seen it come to pass quicker than I thought it would.

I can feel a slight burn on the mustache area this morning. I am still getting a feel for what is too much and what is enough there. Today I went over the area perhaps too aggressively. It's an area that I don't want to go over with the DE for cleanup anymore. I may need some more practice there before calling it a done deal. The touch needed with a straight is so light - I sometimes forget and give it a tad too much angle.

The DE cleanup is tailing off; becoming less and less. Hardly went over my chin with it at all today.

Thanks for reading.

Wow such great progress! I hope in a week I can be close to where you are. I have 7 under my belt and can't imagine I could be barely using the DE in a week.

Keep it up!

njt's thread here is why I'm frustrated with my own journey. He seems to be doing so well! I'm not having nearly as quick of progress but glad that he is of course. Congrats njt on all the forward progress.

njt's thread here is why I'm frustrated with my own journey. He seems to be doing so well! I'm not having nearly as quick of progress but glad that he is of course. Congrats njt on all the forward progress.

You are doing a disservice to yourself when you begin comparing your experience with that of others and become frustrated. No two journals here are alike, no two straight shave journeys are alike. Straight razor shaving can be likened to learning the game of golf: When you first begin, play against the course and not other players. Later on, you will enjoy the experience more and your accomplishments will be come with less frustration then if you were to focus your game/shave on trying to measure up to what others can do.

You will get there at your pace and not mine or anyone else. It's your face, your beard and your dexterity that you are dealing with, remember that.

I wish you the very best, but what helped me was to focus on my journal and not read anyone else's to the point of frustration.

Forgive me Nicholas for the hi-jack.

Frank

No worries Gentlemen,

You maybe did not notice that this is my second time around with straights?? I had a false start last year that ended in frustration. I took about a year off, calmed down, did a bunch more reading and started back up again. I sort of had a "rolling start" which helped a great deal. I did everything wrong but cut my nose off the first time:) It was a bit of a disaster....

Last edited:
Shave #14

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Cella shave soap
Razor - vintage Le Grelot p. hospital (shave 8 on fresh edge)
Scuttle - Dirty Bird
minor cleanup up with DE

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Virgin Island Water

Not much to report today. Still working on all the fundamentals. Stropping is slow. That's just the way it's going to be for a while. I plan to order a new strop next week and hang it up. The one I currently use is 2 inches wide, has no handle so I use it laying down on the dresser. I wonder if using it hanging might be a bit easier for me, and hence faster too.

I received the honing film in 3 and 1um sheets. I'm not sure my razor needs a touch-up yet. Some folks would say Yes it does. There has been a change in perceived sharpness since it was freshly honed. But I like it better. It feels smoother. I don't feel like the edge is going to catch my skin and dig in. I keep the spine very close to my skin and that seems like the key to keeping the edge going, and getting a smooth shave. Keep that spine down..

I did change my cologne this morning. I bought a sample of Virgin Island Water from Creed and like it. Not sure if it's a buy yet. Only my wife can answer that one:)

Thanks for reading and enjoy your weekend Gents.

Last edited:
Shave #15

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Cella shave soap
Razor - vintage Le Grelot p. hospital (shave 9 on fresh edge)
Scuttle - Dirty Bird
minor cleanup up with DE

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Woke up early this morning to play music in church with the Praise Choir. I mostly play jazz guitar in various groups but have a background in blues and rock which fits in well with contemporary Christian themed music. I was not sure how rocketing out of bed would
effect the shave but all went well. I should not have been worried.

I did strop a bit faster than usual. It is easy to make a mistake or get sloppy. I did not go THAT fast. I don't want to ruin the edge on my razor.

I purchased a new strop yesterday. I don't know what came over me. I had been waiting for TM strops to go back on sale tomorrow then got reading about Walkin Horse Horsebutt strops and there ya go - I bought one, 3 inches wide with the linen backing. I am looking forward to having something I can hang up in the bathroom. Not sure what possessed me to change brands but when I have one of these inklings I follow the little voice and go with it.

I also sprang for another Le Grelot this morning. I have been looking. I love the one I am using so much. I want to have a backup or one that I can use in rotation with the other. What if something happens to the one I have now? You know,... all the great excuses to go out and spend more money. I think the shopping spree is done. I think Fathers Day has been well covered for this year.

My feel with the razor continues to improve. I intuitively know what I can and can't do with it. The angles continue to be figured out. The left hand is still lagging but will catch up someday. I don't think the shaves will get any closer until I make second passes. The first pass is so great I doubt there will be many times that I feel like it. Perhaps some special occasion.

Nothing left to do today but mow lawn and watch the Red Sox.

Thank you for reading.

Last edited:
The other day when you were talking about a TM strop I was thinking maybe I should look into one soon too. Then I nicked my Filly again and decided to wait. I love impulse buys though (just ordered a G12 scuttle yesterday). Keep us posted on the strop and the new Le Grelot when they show up!

There is a lot of love for TM strops here. I'm sure it would have been a good choice too. But the very idea of horse hide intrigued me. And reading the reviews of those that owned the Walkin Horse love them. I like to buy the right item and then never buy another. I hope I made the right decision. It seems that many on this board have multiple strops. Some folks speak of certain strops going best with certain razors. I just hope I bought a high quality piece that will last me a lifetime on a lot of different razors with proper care.

I noticed that on the "return trip" down my current strop I was tending to tilt the razor towards me slightly. I am using a poor mans 2 inch strop laying down on my dresser. I have raised some leather slightly on the very edge of the strop in a one inch area at the most right hand end of the strop. I hope that when I start stropping on a hanging strop that I won't have this issue anymore. I think it may be due to the strop being very narrow and also that I am using it laying down. It is hard to control the razor at the far end of the stroke as I have to continually turn my wrist to match the angle of the strop. And the strop has no "give" as it is on a hard surface. We shall see....

I'll weigh in on the strop and the new razor as I get some experience with them.

Best wishes on your strop journey. Thanks for reading!

Hi njtnjt,

You're not too far behind me and I enjoy reading your accounts. We are truly a brotherhood of patient and adventurous folks, I suppose.

I hope you're enjoying as much as I am! Nothing like a good challenge!

Hi njtnjt,

You're not too far behind me and I enjoy reading your accounts. We are truly a brotherhood of patient and adventurous folks, I suppose.

I hope you're enjoying as much as I am! Nothing like a good challenge!

I am having fun, and I do like the adventure Stubbletrouble. It is an odd thing; shaving. Most men do it every day but treat the experience as something to be done with as quickly as possible. Like a trip to the dentist.

We all seem to be a band of brothers that is embracing the ritual and making something nice with it. I like how it can be elevated to an art form. The collect-ability of some of the gear is an added bonus. And then the challenge of trying something new... so many ways to enjoy the ritual.

Looking forward to your continued success.

Shave #16

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Cella shave soap
Razor - vintage Le Grelot p. hospital (shave 10 on fresh edge)
Scuttle - Dirty Bird
minor cleanup up with DE

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

Happy Monday Morning Gents,

Nothing much to report this morning except that the routine is getting shorter. About a half an hour. Everything is doing well. Looking forward to my new strop coming in the mail this week.

I really enjoy the "discovery" phase of a new hobby. All the gear is shiny and new, so much to learn and experience. Keeping the journey fresh without feeling like I have to keep buying new gear can be a challenge for me. I think it is easier with straights because the edge is always evolving as is our faces.

Niclolas just finished reading your journal I think your doing great! It seems like we are finding out allot of the same things at about the same time. Getting a good strop is important, I'm looking forward to hearing about that Walkin Horse strop you've got coming. I'm finding out that the technique of stropping is what I have to focus on. I think that can be said for allot of what we do. There is so much to learn and I want to know it now. This is one place in my life that is teaching me to be more patient with myself and to slow down, that I need to let others help and share the experience with me. I have an Illinois 827 strop coming should be here this week. I'm hoping I like the draw better than what I'm using now. Got a couple of new razors coming in the mail so this week will find me watching for the delivery. I have a meeting set up for Thursday with a mentor that lives nearby we are going to work on honing and stopping also a better technique for those hard to get spots that seem to allude the BBS shave. I will continue reading your journal, I like knowing that all the way across the country there is someone else on this ride too. All the best FrankC

Shave #17

The routine essentials;

60 passes on the leather
Shower
Cella shave soap
Razor - vintage Le Grelot p. hospital (shave 11 on fresh edge)
Scuttle - Dirty Bird
minor cleanup up with DE

post-shave;

Cologne; Creed Vetiver

I am missing some places here and there that need going over at the end of the shave. Just a few little places, always in different spots. I think I am concentrating more on touch and blade angles than shaving per se. I believe this is a good thing - focus on technique. The shaving part will come along eventually. I still ponder some angles on my angular, narrow face. I don't have it figured out yet.

The shave continues to be very close and smooth off the same razor.

I did a little ATG shaving on the neck and chin area. The chin is the beard heaviest place on my face. I felt it needed a bit more love from the razor. I was ready to try. Concentrating on technique rather than stubble I was able to take it down a bit more than usual. Progress is coming in small steps.

I am really looking forward to having a proper strop in my kit by weeks end. I think stropping is somewhat overlooked. It's not very sexy. And it gets a bad rap on TV. I ruined my first razor edge last year from
poor stropping. Watching westerns where the barber was slapping the razor against some tired piece of leather while talking over his shoulder. Now I am so careful and slow. It seems to be working.

Have a great day and thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Top Bottom