What's new

Nickel Plating Trouble

I got some dry Nickel Acetate from eBay, and tried applying it to this:

http://www.instructables.com/id/High-Quality-and-safe-Nickel-Plating/?ALLSTEPS

I mixed a small amount of it with clean, filtered water and some sea salt, gave it time to dissolve, and attempted to plate my flare-tip Superspeed with it. At first, I only got black marks around where the alligator clip contacted the razor, using a variable-voltage wall wart. I cleaned it with Barkeeper's Friend, added a little more salt, this time seeing somewhat more even results across the razor, but it's still mostly in the form of it turning black in some areas (particularly edges or anywhere that there's a pit or indentation.) The knurling on the handle seems to be particularly affected. I must've given it a good 20 minutes with me rearranging the razor and clip every 30 seconds or so, and I still see a lot of brass, and a lot of what is plated, turned black.

When I added the salt, I did a test with nickel plates at both ends, with the voltage cranked up, and it quickly started dropping black flakes off the cathode, which are still floating around the solution. That may be an indicator that there's too much salt in the mix now, but I feel like there wasn't enough when I started.

Where did I go wrong? Should I have just tried to make my own solution using the plates I got? Too much salt? Should I have mixed it using vinegar instead of water to make the solution?

The pictures make it look like the razor did plate, but it still looks like brass in person. The iPhone camera washed out the color entirely in some of them.

$IMG_2181.jpg$IMG_2182.jpg$IMG_2183.jpg$IMG_2185.jpg$IMG_2186.jpg

Oh, forgot to mention, the alligator clip I used on the piece (which was itself submerged a fair amount of time) also took on a dark, mottled appearance. Something definitely wasn't right about this mix.

Welp, made a fresh mix using vinegar and only a pinch of kosher salt (theoretically more pure) and also took a few minutes to "electroclean" the razor after a Barkeeper's Friend scrub, which turned a fair amount of it pink. Upped the voltage to 3V, thinking that the transformer probably just isn't pushing sufficient amperage. Letting it sit several minutes in each position. It's *slowly* turning a dull nickel color, though the pink is still winning - for now. We'll see how slow and steady does in this particular race.

Good luck with the plating. I have not tried it, even though tempted. I think it is more difficult that it sounds to get all the elements just right for success.

I ended up giving it quite some time, got it a fairly dark color, though definitely not something that looked like nickel. Tried tumbling it for a few hours in crushed walnut (no added polish) and nothing much happened; let it go overnight, it took much of the color right off and made it look like dirty brass more than anything. Went over it with Nevrdull and it's shiny again, but definitely not plated. It does seem like it's got a lighter color than when I started though, so maybe I'll have better results on the next run.

Assuming SWMBO doesn't kill me.

The results before tumble... I should've just worked on it with a hand polish and left the tumbler OUT of it. Definitely a darker color than I wanted, but it wasn't a bad plate in hindsight.

Except the end of TTO mechanism, couldn't really get all the grime out of it in the first place, but that's more cosmetic in the end anyway. Still haven't figured out how to get the insides of that clean; whatever CAN reach in there, can't get out the gunk effectively.

$IMG_2187.jpg$IMG_2189.jpg

I think I figured out the problem... I was using (cheap) steel alligator clips, which were the anode in a salty/acidic electrolytic solution. I think I was plating nickel AND iron (and whatever else might be in that cheap steel) at the same time. Probably a durable surface, but not attractive in the least. It might've been interesting to see how it came out after a proper polish, but I found a better method anyway.

It's bubbling away right now with the end of a wire that's balled up and shoved into the end cap on the TTO mechanism. The wire I'm using is silver-plated as well, so it may also be rejecting the nickel from plating onto it. Additionally, the best path for current will ALWAYS be through some brass. Definitely a better way to go.

I ran it through once and polished it up with some MAAS, now I'm giving it a second whirl. I did find that it didn't start to plate with any efficiency until I got it up to 5/6 volts, though I'm sure the relatively low amperage of my cheapo wall wart is partly responsible - it's rated for 1A output, but given that the voltages definitely aren't pushed to spec, I doubt the amperage rating is accurate either.

Oh, also, I did get more of the grit in the TTO out, using some Neverdull. Still wasn't perfect, but good enough for me. Pics incoming tomorrow once I've finished cleaning up and polishing.

Top Bottom