What's new

Next "tough" guy to play Dirty Harry or Gladiator?

Hey, we learned very important things from Commando! One of the most poignant films of our generation! :w00t:

That list is classic.

I liked Commando. It was cheap, mindless fun. They don't really make them like that anymore. Now it's all about cool guys blowing things up and walking away without looking behind them in slow motion.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sqz5dbs5zmo[/YOUTUBE]

That list is classic.

I liked Commando. It was cheap, mindless fun. They don't really make them like that anymore. Now it's all about cool guys blowing things up and walking away without looking behind them in slow motion.

Can we blame Quentin Tarantino or did he copy the slo-mo strut from something earlier?

Good question. I have no idea where this cliche began.

There is nothing original in a Tarantino film. The film in its entirety is usually quite original, but when you look at each scene in the film as an individual element they are each a salute to something that came before. What makes Tarantino so good is that while he usually cuts and pastes already cool imagry, his finished product is somehow much cooler than the original.

When he is on he is, by far, my favorite director working today. I will admit though that I am counting on being highly disappointed by Inglorious Basterds and have ruled out seeing it in the theater. At this point it looks to have taken the over the top comic book cool violence of Kill Bill 1 and removed the comic book...I don't like over the top violence just for the sake of it.

Inglorious Bastards is essentially a remake and Tarantinoization of an Italian film. Might as well go to the source, that is so long as you either speak Italian or can find a version with subtitles, if you want to see a film. Rent the QT's version on DVD when it comes out if you're looking for the over the top version.

If 98% of the guys named in this thread are considered "tough", then it makes me feel a little better about my own masculinity. :biggrin: Seriously... Jason Statham? Leonardo Dicaprio? I'm not even going to ruminate on frigging Marky Mark...

I'm sorry if this turns out to be a bit of a tirade, but these guys are today's "heavies"? Vin Diesel and The Rock are the new Robert Mitchum and Lee Van Cleef? Big and goofy looking doesn't make you tough. Ed Norton will never be Charles Bronson. Leo Di Caprio, no matter how much lipstick he wears, will never be Lawrence Tierney.

Eastwood's still alive. So is Sean Connery. Those guys are tough. I like seeing guys in movies that would probably kill you in real life if you pissed them off. Homicidal leading men were a dime a dozen back in the fifties and sixties. Now we've gone back to this era of sensitive pansies with nice bodies that Marlon Brando helped usher in.

Hogwash, I say. Mickey Rourke is the only thing coming to mind when I think of tough guys in movies. Michael Madsen maybe. The lavender crowd mentioned in this thread really makes me wonder if this is what is considered the standard of masculinity in the world today.

I tend to agree somewhat, i think Mickey Rourke is, but his long permed blonde hair at the Oscars? and that pretty white suit spoiled it a bit, plus he's recent facelift/makeover. Most of the so called "tough" guys today are going for that pretty boy, clean look i suppose?

I think what defines the "tough" guy character is the movie that "makes" him and how they hold themselves in the public eye? Even though Michael Clarke Duncan is a big mean lookin fellow, the movie that made him was the Green Mile and he played a fairly "soft" character in that so i coudn't really convince myself he was a badass in Daredevil. One of the reasons i picked Christain Bale is the movie that made him was Batman and he played a badass Batman with great intensity, the movie that made Gerald Butler was 300 and the movie that made Daniel Craig was Bond where he play's for me the darkest meanest Bond.

I think Eastwood, Willis and a few others are possibly the last of the real "tough" guys left in Hollywood for what might be a long time to come. Oh yeah i forgot to add one more, Robert Paulsen!

Last edited:
There is nothing original in a Tarantino film. The film in its entirety is usually quite original, but when you look at each scene in the film as an individual element they are each a salute to something that came before. What makes Tarantino so good is that while he usually cuts and pastes already cool imagry, his finished product is somehow much cooler than the original.

When he is on he is, by far, my favorite director working today. I will admit though that I am counting on being highly disappointed by Inglorious Basterds and have ruled out seeing it in the theater. At this point it looks to have taken the over the top comic book cool violence of Kill Bill 1 and removed the comic book...I don't like over the top violence just for the sake of it.

There's nothing original in a lot of films today, but Tarentino himself is an original and in the way he directs film. He for me is one of a very few directors that will have a "cult" following where people will see all of his films because of that certain style he puts into it. He is also one of my favorites. Who will ever forget Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, two of my best films ever. No one does it like tino!

The shorts i've seen of Inglorious Bastards looks great and i can't wait.

I like Karl Urban, I don't think of him as a pretty boy. He was Eomer in Lord of the Rings, the nephew of Theoden of Rohan. He was also in Doom and that stupid movie Ghost Ship, which I liked even though it was a kind of cheesy B horror flick. I haven't seen him in any pansy roles, I think given the opportunity, he could play a good tough guy. I think he's still kind of a "that guy" at this point.

http://www.listal.com/actors/tough+guy

Gaah! I searched for "buff actors" and this came up. Truly terrifying!!

http://thesilentpodium.blogspot.com/2008_08_01_archive.html

Here's an article about exactly what we've been talking about. http://www.variety.com/article/VR1117991319.html?categoryid=2508&cs=1

I think if you see a movie and you're surprised by a good portrayal of a certain actor at being a tough guy, then that guy isn't a tough guy. When you watched all the older guys, you knew you were going to get a classic tough guy portrayal. The guys today aren't talentless, they just don't fit the bill. You knew Clint Eastwood and Chuck Norris were going to kick some ***.

Last edited:
I like Karl Urban, I don't think of him as a pretty boy. He was Eomer in Lord of the Rings, the nephew of Theoden of Rohan. He was also in Doom and that stupid movie Ghost Ship, which I liked even though it was a kind of cheesy B horror flick. I haven't seen him in any pansy roles, I think given the opportunity, he could play a good tough guy. I think he's still kind of a "that guy" at this point.

He played a tough guy in one of the Bourne movies.

http://www.listal.com/actors/tough+guy

+1, i forgot about him, given a chance in a big film and some more experience and he very well could be.

I tend to agree somewhat, i think Mickey Rourke is, but his long permed blonde hair at the Oscars? and that pretty white suit spoiled it a bit, plus he's recent facelift/makeover. Most of the so called "tough" guys today are going for that pretty boy, clean look i suppose?

I don't think that Rourke's trying to go for that pretty boy look, I think the man is seriously off his rocker. He ruined his face when boxing and then went through a series of even worse facelifts and reconstructions in order to correct it. Now I think he's trying really hard to be "eccentric" in order to be taken seriously by the art crowd in Hollywood, hence the remnants of his The Wrestler mullet and the Truman Capote attire. Nay, I don't think another actor alive at the minute could have pulled off the role of Marv with as much credibility as Mickey Rourke. For that, he gets "tough guy" status from me no matter how weird he ends up down the road. :wink2:

Oh yeah i forgot to add one more, Robert Paulsen!

It's that cleft chin and perfect five o clock shadow, huh? :biggrin:

lmao,

I for one would be proud to look like that! A pretty boy you ain't, the next Gladiator/Dirty Harry you are!

His name is Ben. He rides a big bike (a Corley Motors). He saves damsels in distress, fights outlaw biker gangs and evil corporations -- all at the same time. Last seen in the American Southwest sometime in the mid-1990s.

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php
proxy.php

His name is Ben. He rides a big bike (a Corley Motors). He saves damsels in distress, fights outlaw biker gangs and evil corporations -- all at the same time. Last seen in the American Southwest sometime in the mid-1990s.

/QUOTE]

looking at your avatar i would have thought the same. maybe he will pop up in the next series of 24?

Top Bottom