What's new

Next "tough" guy to play Dirty Harry or Gladiator?

I don't think anyone has mentioned Michael Chiklis from The Shield. I thought he was quite menacing in the role of Mackey.

Aww -- he's just "putting on a mean face".

To me the tough guys of the 40s-60s weren't necessarily mean (Lawrence Tierney excepted!), just what I would call "self sufficient". Here are some guys you know deal with life on their own terms and ask no favors:

proxy.php
proxy.php

Heck, I started to pick out a few pictures then ran across this site: http://listverse.com/2008/04/15/top-20-classic-hollywood-tough-guys/. The above two are on their list. They even have the same picture for Lee Marvin.

I'd have left out Kirk Douglas (definitely a tough guy but 2nd tier. Besides we alredy have one cleft chin on the list!) and put Lawrence Tierney in his place.

Last edited:
I'd have left out Kirk Douglas (definitely a tough guy but 2nd tier. Besides we alredy have one cleft chin on the list!) and put Lawrence Tierney in his place.

+1.

I would have also taken out Dana Andrews and put in Jack Palance. I also would have swapped Anthony Quinn for Timothy Carey... but overall, that's a pretty good tough guy collection. Kudos for throwing John Garfield in there... proof that even little guys could be menacing. :wink2:

I just don't get that vibe from him. :confused:

Rob, I think its the lack of a physical presence with Cillian Murphy that is influencing you.

As for Dirty Harry, I don't recall any of the actors you named associated with the role...I thought the list was John Wayne, Steve McQueen and Paul Newman who turned the role down. None of the above three are the least bit menacing, except maybe Newman as Hud. I did check out the internets though on your three and they do also come up as affiliated with the role of Harry Callahan. This leads me to believe that the whole "who turned down Dirty Harry" discussion is urban legend...they all did! I recall Wayne as having said he was too old for the role, which he was, and if you consider that Lancaster, Mitchum and Sinatra are all around the same age, putting them in their middle 50s playing Calahan, I suspect none were really offerred the part.

Anyway, how about Anthony Hopkins....in Silence of the Lambs and Magic he is damn scary and menacing. You can't deny that, but yet he isn't remotely physical or action-actor believable in anyway...that movie with Alec Baldwin and the Bear (boy is that distinction without difference!) proved it.

Anyone mention Thomas Jane? He was awesome in The Punisher.

It is tough nowadays, and I've been noticing this also. I mean, we're talking about the men who used to shave with broken glass and strike a match on their iron beard. I'm trying to keep the phrase "tough guy" in my mind, and seriously, no one is coming to mind. Some are "bad ***", but almost all of them try to also have some appeal to women, and I think someone out there is spreading rumors that women want pretty boys. We like Leonardo DiCaprio because he's cute, not because anyone could ever think he's handsome or tough. Watch Catch me if you can, then watch Blood Diamond, and tell me how much weight he put on for that. Then tell me how long into his fricking career it took him to put that weight on. A little ridiculous considering how much money the guy has.

I'm trying to think of Irish actors, since Irish guys in general have that fighting rep. I did think of Brendan Gleeson (gangs of New york?). Daniel Day-Lewis was good in that too. I love Arnold, Commando is a family classic. Also 80-fabulous. And he was terrifying in Terminator. Watch the original, the others are crap.

Everyone I'm thinking of is a little older I guess. Harrison Ford, Al Pacino, Rufus Sewell, Samuel L. Jackson (unless you've seen Loaded Weapon I). Ron Perlman is one funky guy.

I think part of the problem is that to be a noteworthy character these days, you have to be a "versatile" actor, so they're having all the baby faces getting ripped, with all the explosions and stunt driving and leaping tall buildings in a single bound (it's all CGI these days anyway). So all our "tough guys" are playing pansies so we can see that they're sensitive. It's ruining the illusion.

Anyone mention Thomas Jane? He was awesome in The Punisher.

It is tough nowadays, and I've been noticing this also. I mean, we're talking about the men who used to shave with broken glass and strike a match on their iron beard. I'm trying to keep the phrase "tough guy" in my mind, and seriously, no one is coming to mind. Some are "bad ***", but almost all of them try to also have some appeal to women, and I think someone out there is spreading rumors that women want pretty boys. We like Leonardo DiCaprio because he's cute, not because anyone could ever think he's handsome or tough. Watch Catch me if you can, then watch Blood Diamond, and tell me how much weight he put on for that. Then tell me how long into his fricking career it took him to put that weight on. A little ridiculous considering how much money the guy has.

I'm trying to think of Irish actors, since Irish guys in general have that fighting rep. I did think of Brendan Gleeson (gangs of New york?). Daniel Day-Lewis was good in that too. I love Arnold, Commando is a family classic. Also 80-fabulous. And he was terrifying in Terminator. Watch the original, the others are crap.

Everyone I'm thinking of is a little older I guess. Harrison Ford, Al Pacino, Rufus Sewell, Samuel L. Jackson (unless you've seen Loaded Weapon I). Ron Perlman is one funky guy.

I think part of the problem is that to be a noteworthy character these days, you have to be a "versatile" actor, so they're having all the baby faces getting ripped, with all the explosions and stunt driving and leaping tall buildings in a single bound (it's all CGI these days anyway). So all our "tough guys" are playing pansies so we can see that they're sensitive. It's ruining the illusion.

Well said....except the reference of "Commando" and "classic!":w00t:

Seriously, go back and watch Commando, in some of the explosion scenes you can actually see cardboard cutouts of "enemy" soldiers falling over...hysterical.

So you are saying today's audience is getting the heroes it deserves? Or is Hollywood giving us the role models it thinks are good for us?

Or is Hollywood giving us the role models it thinks are good for us?

Definitely. Look at the series Sons of Anarchy. You've got some convincing dudes in there, and Ron Perlman center-stage, but sharing the spotlight with him is a pretty boy with peach fuzz and leathers. I'm sure my wife enjoys it, but I don't buy it for a second. This kid would get eaten alive in the real world.

What about a switch here, and someone like 2Pac? Obviously he wouldn't be up for the running now, since he's passed, and he wouldn't exactly fit the Harry Callahan mold, but he played a very convincing stone-cold tough guy on the screen and had the real-life experiences to back it up.

Huh? 2pac was a really good actor then. He sure had you fooled...

Similarly, what about DMX?
He's the laughing stock of the rap world. Remember how people were getting arrested to boost their street cred?

I'll put in a vote for Ray Stevenson. He was Pullo on the Rome series on HBO. He did the last Punisher movie too, but for the life of me, I don't know anyone that saw that one.

My guess is you have to be a little longer in the tooth to qualify. Por ejemplo, I never thought of Charles Bronson of a bad *** growing up watching The Great Escape from my dad's lap, but then, he wouldn't let me watch Death Wish or The Dirty Dozen until I was a bit older. I did a quick imdb, There were 6 years between Great Escape and Dirty Dozen. Maybe you need to earn some chops first

Remember how people were getting arrested to boost their street cred?

No, but I don't follow rap music. Are you saying that DMX was "padding his resume" and didn't really have the reputation he built up?

He did the last Punisher movie too, but for the life of me, I don't know anyone that saw that one.

I did, and actually enjoyed it for what it was.

Definitely. Look at the series Sons of Anarchy. You've got some convincing dudes in there, and Ron Perlman center-stage, but sharing the spotlight with him is a pretty boy with peach fuzz and leathers. I'm sure my wife enjoys it, but I don't buy it for a second. This kid would get eaten alive in the real world.

Sawyer from Lost comes to mind as well. Dude was/is a model. :rolleyes:

No, but I don't follow rap music. Are you saying that DMX was "padding his resume" and didn't really have the reputation he built up?

Bingo. It dosen't mean his music isn't good, however, if you like his stuff. The muscles are from push-ups, not from beating down crack competitors on his block in Yonkers.

i reckon to be a "tough" guy you gotta be comfortable in your own skin and cool about it, certainly not a try hard. a certain aura has to follow you as an actor through your career, you can't play tough guy then be in a kids film for example? for me, Eastwood was one of the best in this regard.

not that many actors out there today that will play a good gladiator or a braveheart. no good just having muscles if you can't play the part . even fabio has muscles but tough guy, well.

a tough guy plays it cool while others are losing there heads and talking it up.

Jason Statham would be an interesting modern choice for the part of dirty harry.

One of my favorites.... he would have to tone down the accent a bit, but he's got potential. I am a big follower of his movies (good and not so good).

I forgot to mention Hulk Hogan. :lol: I know he has a huge following, a legend even. And others think he's pathetic. I do like him, and I liked the movie Mr. Nanny. The part with him walking around in a teeny tiny towel was hilarious. He's got a good tough guy voice. I hate their reality show though, I'm fed up with reality tv.

I hate their reality show though, I'm fed up with reality tv.

<thread tangent>
The real problem is it's so easy to turn on the TV and watch this mindless crap without even realizing it. So the media conglomerates see a ton of viewers and keep pumping it out. To make matters worse, just about every show on TV has some sort of "reality" aspect to it now so it just compounds...
</end tangent>

Yeah, I admit, I watched Rock of Love. Not only because I got sucked into the mindless crap, but for some reason my bf and I could actually watch it without arguing. It's either Nitro Circus or Golden Girls. I don't like anything new on tv, I watch reruns of older shows.

Check out this link, I love college humor.

http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1884973

Well said....except the reference of "Commando" and "classic!":w00t:

Seriously, go back and watch Commando, in some of the explosion scenes you can actually see cardboard cutouts of "enemy" soldiers falling over...hysterical.

Hey, we learned very important things from Commando! One of the most poignant films of our generation! :w00t:

40 Things I Learned From Commando
1) Porsches can "heal" themselves after repeatedly crashing into a Fiat and rolling onto their sides.
2) Two people can crash into a pole at 50 mph, wearing no seatbelts, and walk away.
3) Uzi's do not run out of ammunition until everyone is dead.
4) Being electrocuted will give you superhuman strength.
5) The best place to lock up a hostage is in a large room with balsa wood covering the window openings, with no guards outside the window.
6) The only way to break through balsa wood is with a disassembled doorknob.
7) Cheap airplanes are started by punching the control panel and saying "Fly or DIE!"
8) The best way to discreetly tell someone that people may be out to get him is by flying a military helicopter through the rolling mountains of Southern California to meet him.
9) Three men in a van can easily survive an explosion caused by a rocket being shot into the van's gas tank.
10) You can't just unbutton someone's shirt. You have to rip it open, and hold it open while talking to them.
11) A man's center of gravity does not change when picking up another man and holding him at arm's length.
12) Surplus stores have enough equipment to blow up an entire compound.
13) The only way to break into a surplus store is by driving your handy bulldozer through the front of it, for everyone to see.
14) However, no one will see what happened in (13).
15) A Ford Bronco with no brakes can still brake.
16) A Ford Bronco will explode three times upon rollover.
17) Tranquilizer darts are instantaneously effective.
18) One can walk about an airplane during takeoff if he claims that he is airsickand holding his guts.
19) Old Fiats are as fast as new Porsches.
20) Explosives set on the outside of a building will cause the building to explode from the inside.
21) Upon being scalped by circular saw blade, one becomes instantly pale.
22) Opening the hatch to gain access to the landing gear won't set off any warnings in the cockpit, even in a pressurized airplane that's about to take off.
23) Shopping malls have about 100 inept security guards apiece.
24) The best place to secretly exchange false documents for a briefcase-full of money is in a very public bar in a very public shopping mall.
25) Upon being blown up by a hand grenade, one does an acrobatic somersault.
26) Upon being shot, one acts like a cartoon character tripping backwards over a step.
27) Hedges deflects bullets.
28) If your daughter is being held hostage on an island, you should blow up every building on that island except one, because chances are she'll be in that one.
29) . If a team of ex-soldiers is given new identities and relocated, most of them will be given lousy jobs (car salesman, fishing boat worker), but the leader gets a big house in the mountains . And the psychotic guy who got kicked off the team will get a new identity too, for some reason.
30) If a large truck comes barreling down a mountain toward you while you are driving, you should not brake. Instead, you should just say, "he's gonna hit us!" and keep driving at the same speed.
31)When your plot includes the assassination of the leader of some foreign country and kidnapping a little girl you should wear low profile clothes, like chain mail, dog's chain on your neck, moustache and black leather pants.
32) When your plot includes the assassination of… you don't shoot a lethal Special Forces -guy when you have the chance. You challenge him into a knife fight instead.
33) When you're having sex in a motel room, you're not supposed to stop or get worried when you hear a gunshot and sounds of fighting in the next room.
34) If you are/were in Special Forces/Green Berets etc. you're huge.
35) If you are/were in Special Forces, you have superhuman senses and you can break a chain with your bare hands.
36) If you're from Austria and you need a false identity, the military gives you a common Austrian name like "John Matrix"
37)You can take a rocket launcher off a wall, give it to someone and then another one will magically reappear on the wall.
38)Shopping mall decorations can be used to swing from one side of to the mall to the other even though the person who is swinging on them is is 6ft 2" – 250 pounds!
39)It is possible to hold your eyes open while a plane is hurtling at 150 mph down a runway
40)Thrown like a javelin from a few feet away, a steel pipe can pierce through the chest of a bulky man wearing a chain mail vest and nail him to a huge boiler.

Top Bottom