What's new

Newbies, show off your gear!

This is about a month after starting to use a safety razor and testing stuff out and collecting various items. An interesting find was the Just Clear aftershave, which is supposed to be a Shulton Old Spice replica. It smells pretty decent for $1.25 haha. The leather case I made myself since I am beginning to do some leathercrafting. Yes, that is the Old Spice ship. Also, the cream colored brush was actually one of those "silvertip" badger brushes with the defective handle from eBay. I got it for around $8 I think. I have a tub of Razorock Captain's Choice soap coming in the mail as we speak!

PS. There are no blades in this pic since I forgot to put them in. Right now I am working my way through a 25 blade sampler pack. I find the best ones so far are the feathers, the Gillette Goal Stainless, and the Gillette Silver Blues.

Good job on the leather case; it's pretty sweet!

Hi everybody. I can't find newbie hello world thread. So I'll introduce myself here)
My name is Anton or simple - Tony. Iam from Kazakhstan. Iam 24 years old. And Iam shaving with my grandpa straight razor. Trud Vacha Volga razor)))
Everything else is prette simple-soap and aftershave balm-L'OCCITANE, strop-old USSR soldier belt, with FORUM paste. Large coffe cup) Oh!! I forgot the brush, its synthetic, but I ordered Omega one.
View attachment 314059
I love the strop!

Anyway, my starter, and current kit is an 1946-50 ball end tech with Astra sp blades, omega 49 (great brush), arko soap and old spice original aftershave. I wanna get some bay rum and some decent cream too. Any suggestions?

I'm about 3 months in now, and this is what I have accumulated:

$Gear.jpg

So far I still really enjoy the VDH Luxury and use it almost everyday, but the Proraso white is coming in at a close second. The Clubman Musk is great, but I may like the original better. I really haven't decided yet. I use the Superspeed almost everyday, but the Old Type is great on the weekends when I take my time. I haven't used the straight yet.

So far I have kept it cheap and simple with great success once I got my technique worked out. The most expensive purchase I have made is the straight razor, which was only $20 at an antique store, and the VDH starter kit that was about the same at Wally World.

Attachments

• $Gear.jpg
    $Gear.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 310
Here is what I have accumulated since I started this in April. I bought the two razors, the TOBS, and the Nivea shave cream here on the B/S/T forum. The bowl is a cereal bowl from Target. I have enjoyed reading the different posts and getting more informed about wet shaving on this forum. It has gone pretty good so far and I can see how easy it is to get the different AD's from looking at this site:)

Thanks to all.

Attachments

• $IMG_20140801_124645.jpg
    $IMG_20140801_124645.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 290
Started this month with a DE razor, and here's what I have so far. A couple things here are what I have left from Dollar Shave Club.

Attachments

• $image.jpg
    $image.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
I started a few months ago. First thing I got was the VDH luxury kit with the mug and stand. Also bought the $10 utopia off amazon (research more before getting this) and derbies. Quickly moved up to the EJ de89, sandalwood proraso, astras, and nivea sensitive aftershave balm. Few other items picked up along the way since, cheap boar hair brush, williams, and parker travel razor. Waiting for approval from spouse to buy more and experiment. But in the mean time loving the shave.

It was pretty good coming back and revisiting this thread to remind myself of my starting line-up... thought I would post my gear as it looks today for comparison. I had to collect everything up and photograph it on the dining table again, largely because my gear is spread across three different locations due to lack of workspace.

$geartoday.jpg

I am in my second month, I have Van Der Hagen luxery soap, Dr Selby lavender (most popular soap in Spanish forums, compared to MDC) triple milled. The white Straight Razor is bone. Boar Hair Brush.

$case.png$untitled.png

On ITS way: TOBS Sandalwood, TOBS Jermny Street, AOS sandalwood. Pure Badger brush omega. 3 vintage Straight Razors.
View attachment 508267View attachment 508268

$273.jpg
Razor: Parker 99R
Blades: Wilkinson Sword
Brush: Parker 100% Pure Badger
Cream: C.O. Bigelow
Mug: William Marvy
Aftershaves: Polo Ralph Lauren Blue and Red, Pinaud Clubman and Skin Bracer

That's my gear after 2 months of DE shaving. I'm Looking to add a few more brushes and some more old timey aftershaves into the mix as the Ralph Lauren splashes are headed for retirement. (The clubman and skin bracer were newly acquired yesterday) So much for saving money.

proxy.php

TOBS Jermyn St sensitive Skin
TOBS Sandalwood Aftershave gel
Proraso Pre-Post Shave cream
Osma Alun Bloc
Merkur 34c
Feather Blades
Cheap Brush from Amazon( awaiting my Omega 638 Silvertip)

$20141124_230628.jpg
'46 aristo, Vdh razor, parker pure badger, proraso green, vdh soap (in mug), Blocc de Osma, Dickinson WH, Brut splash, proraso blue a/s.

Last edited:
Damn.... I feel like my post is a waste of bandwidth compared to the "Newbie" setups on here...

Actually Started with the Slim, an old Coffee Cup, Bath & Bodywerks Brush, and 100% Natural Lavender Soap purchased at a local grocery Store...

The Brush,mug,soap didn't make the trip from the Mid-Atlantic to the Desert on the last move... or it made the trip, didn't make it to the new place...

Suffered a few months with disposables and canned cream...

Stumbled into an Art Of Shaving while exploring San Diego... that was a bit of wallet shock, but picked up a Pure Badger, Stand, and Shaving Cream...

Then I have my '64 Slim, '74 Super Speed, and my Gem...

Just today picked up the wax to set the mustache for some style experimenting....and some Single Edge blades at CVS to try the Gem out...

$Shave.jpg

My humble setup of the last 10 years...

Top Bottom