What's new

Newbie Willem-Jan

Hi all,

I am Willem-Jan from Belgium and a new straight razor shaver. As a teenager I shaved with a mach 3, Then later with an electric Braun. Then I got a beard for many years:). I first got rid of the beard using that electric Braun again, but this year for my birthday in march this year I asked for a real razor. The only razor they had was a Puma so I took it. The scales suck in hindsight and the first time I closed it, I hit the scales, creating a chip in the blade. By now I got it to shave much better than when it was new, thanks to a chosera 1k, a coticule (I am Belgian) chromium oxide and a leather strop.
I also have two shavettes and enjoy going through my sample pack of blades.
Since that first razor I bought a few cheaper ones like Zertone and Gold Dollar and found that they were actually very nice and not just practice razors like I was expecting.
At this point I can get daily shaves without cuts or irritation and fairly close, but not perfect shaves without missing any spots. I shave in the evening with cold water and a shaving puck from Golddachs. After shaving I use an alum stone before using proraso white preshave or some organic oil as aftershave.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. Thanks for checking in. We have a Gold Dollar Mod Competition going on in the Straight Razor Restoration and Razor Making How To forum. Have a look as there is a nice prize up for grabs.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for checking in. We have a Gold Dollar Mod Competition going on in the Straight Razor Restoration and Razor Making How To forum. Have a look as there is a nice prize up for grabs.
Hehe I know, I was reading here a lot before joining. The Gold dollar friendliness made me decide this would be a good place to hang. However, though I love the idea, I am not capable (yet) of doing any modifications other than normal honing. Also, the three Gold Dollars I have didn't need to be modded in any way. I loved them just like that. These are from the "new arrivals" at amazon. I never saw others, like a 66 in real life.
Thanks for the welcome guys!

Hi all,

I am Willem-Jan from Belgium and a new straight razor shaver. As a teenager I shaved with a mach 3, Then later with an electric Braun. Then I got a beard for many years:). I first got rid of the beard using that electric Braun again, but this year for my birthday in march this year I asked for a real razor. The only razor they had was a Puma so I took it. The scales suck in hindsight and the first time I closed it, I hit the scales, creating a chip in the blade. By now I got it to shave much better than when it was new, thanks to a chosera 1k, a coticule (I am Belgian) chromium oxide and a leather strop.
I also have two shavettes and enjoy going through my sample pack of blades.
Since that first razor I bought a few cheaper ones like Zertone and Gold Dollar and found that they were actually very nice and not just practice razors like I was expecting.
At this point I can get daily shaves without cuts or irritation and fairly close, but not perfect shaves without missing any spots. I shave in the evening with cold water and a shaving puck from Golddachs. After shaving I use an alum stone before using proraso white preshave or some organic oil as aftershave.

Welcome Willem-Jan,

Take your time and it's true the guys here are great. Gold dollars are decent shavers and cheap to boot.

They are really hard to set a great 16 degree bevel cos of the thick spine but they shave well. I prefer vintage razors though. The history behind each one makes them special.

Happy shaves,

Mawashi

Top Bottom