What's new

Newbie, thoughts etc.

Hi all, just registered more so to be able to view pics at full size in threads than anything else.

i have been trying out de shaving for a couple of months now. Having gone from schick Quattro and several phillips electrics. I am finding it an interesting if not totally satisfying journey. I am very much on the cheap side even if it may cost me more in the long run learning from mistakes. (E.g. I now have 4 budget razors which could have afforded me a far better single razor)

I started with a cheap remei razor, with the coloured handle, I got some arko and a couple of brands of blades but not a full sample pack. After several weeks I settled on shark stainless as my preference and was getting decent shaves except when I made stupid mistakes. (Don't laugh while you are shaving). I read about a few other brands of razors to try as I actually preferred the idea of slightly milder and wanted some options. I had been reading a lot about gillette techs but they are expensive round here. I ordered a weishi, a yingjili and a blue card backed gillette (similar to the 7'oclock that is all over ebay - I don't know if they are identical or not).

For some reason at this point I started getting far worse shaves with the same equipment, for a good week or 10 days. I did not change anything else and the blades were changed and from the same batch. At that point the weishi arrived and I got some decent shaves from that. Then the gillette plastic handled tech clone arrived and while it is incredibly light it gives really good shaves. It is my current go-to. The yingjili looks almost identical to the gillette and weighs twice as much but it doesn't give as good a shave. The gillette pretty much gives me decent results with no cuts every time.

i am still experimenting. I have all four loaded with the same blades and have been trying all at different times?

Our house is your house
Nuestra casa es su casa
Notre maison est votre maison
Taigh againn tha taigh agaibh

Glad to have you join us.

Go check out www.tryablade.com and play pick and choose. Some good packages and great prices...

Where is "around here"?

Welcome to the forum. Make yourself comfortable and stay a while, there is a lot of great content here at B&B.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Our house is your house
Nuestra casa es su casa
Notre maison est votre maison
Taigh againn tha taigh agaibh

Glad to have you join us.

Go check out www.tryablade.com and play pick and choose. Some good packages and great prices...

Where is "around here"?

I am used to forums where location is usually reasonably prominent, sorry. Sydney Australia, which is not in the middle of nowhere, but for some reason nobody charges charges cheap freight on second hand razors.

I am actually very happy with the blades I am using. Especially with the gillette I am getting very nice shaves.

The problem with the gillette is that it is very light. I had thought that I could swap handles but it is a different size from the yingjili and the remei (which are interchangeable with one another). I would have thought that the gillette would have had a standard thread (maybe it does and the others two are both from the same factory or something).

Welcome to B&B.
I would make one recommendation... When I started, I didn't change anything but the blade for the first couple of months. Good thing too, since I noticed my lather was getting better and the shaves were more effortless as settled into the right angle and pressure. Once I felt my shaves were consistent and I was comfortable with my gear, I started with a different brush... then after several shaves, a new soap. If you do experiment, only change one thing at a time. If it doesn't work for you, you will know what didn't work (of course if it gets better, you will know that too).
Enjoy your shaves.

Welcome to B&B.
I would make one recommendation... When I started, I didn't change anything but the blade for the first couple of months. Good thing too, since I noticed my lather was getting better and the shaves were more effortless as settled into the right angle and pressure. Once I felt my shaves were consistent and I was comfortable with my gear, I started with a different brush... then after several shaves, a new soap. If you do experiment, only change one thing at a time. If it doesn't work for you, you will know what didn't work (of course if it gets better, you will know that too).
Enjoy your shaves.

I agree with [MENTION=103386]MpMinNY[/MENTION]. Solid advice. Enjoy!

I am used to forums where location is usually reasonably prominent, sorry. Sydney Australia, which is not in the middle of nowhere, but for some reason nobody charges charges cheap freight on second hand razors.

I am actually very happy with the blades I am using. Especially with the gillette I am getting very nice shaves.

The problem with the gillette is that it is very light. I had thought that I could swap handles but it is a different size from the yingjili and the remei (which are interchangeable with one another). I would have thought that the gillette would have had a standard thread (maybe it does and the others two are both from the same factory or something).

Hi Moody and welcome to the forum! You can go into My Profile and add your location if you wish. As far as your shaving problems all I can say is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You've got a lot of variables going on there with gear, technique and skin/grain problems. I'm currently working through a sample of 20 different blades using the same prep, brush, soap and razor every day giving each blade 2 shaves each (more if I like them).

Hi Moody and welcome to the forum! You can go into My Profile and add your location if you wish. As far as your shaving problems all I can say is ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. You've got a lot of variables going on there with gear, technique and skin/grain problems. I'm currently working through a sample of 20 different blades using the same prep, brush, soap and razor every day giving each blade 2 shaves each (more if I like them).

In terms of variables I don't think I had any at the time, I still had only one razor and I had been using the same soap, brush, razor and blades. I had been working on improving technique, I just suddenly started getting worse shaves. My thoughts are maybe a single bad blade in the batch, or the colder weather had meant my skin re-acted differently to the same shaving.

Top Bottom