What's new

Newbie questions

Good morning all,

I love this B&B. I just used the Nacet in my Merkur 49 c today and I liked it. Not super close but that’s probably driver error. After looking at my sheet of paper I log everything on. I have come to the conclusion that I was too Impatient when I decided to purchase the Henson +++ aggressive. The medium is way better for me. After a month I was thinking of selling it and using the money for a Rockwell down the road. Do people even purchase used razors?

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Sure. All the time right here on B&B. Look on the Buy Sell Trade threads. You'll not be able to post there for a while, 45 days and 50 posts. But you can read the thread. I have purchased and sold and given away several razors and brushes here. Welcome to B&B!

Good morning all,

I love this B&B. I just used the Nacet in my Merkur 49 c today and I liked it. Not super close but that’s probably driver error. After looking at my sheet of paper I log everything on. I have come to the conclusion that I was too Impatient when I decided to purchase the Henson +++ aggressive. The medium is way better for me. After a month I was thinking of selling it and using the money for a Rockwell down the road. Do people even purchase used razors?
As @Chef455 said used razors are just fine. Best place is here on B&B, but I've bought on the bay and others on flea markets, antique markets etc etc. They may look dirty (usually if they are sold here they are clean), grimy. They need a good clean and sanitation and they are good to go. There are many here on B&B that only use vintage razors. I have several and I love them just as much as my modern new ones. It is cool to get a razor from 20's-70's that still shave very well and will still live on through us.

If you are just starting out with DE shaving I would stick with the 49c for a while and use it, since it is working out. Yes it may not get your the closest shaves at the moment but it will be s great learning tool. Remember that lack of irritation and not closeness of shave should be your first goal. Work of your technique and muscle memory first for a few months then reevaluate your razor situation.

Welcome aboard!

I also endorse the suggestion that you stick with one set up for a bit. My preference is the ‘mild-moderate’ range. However, your Henson may work well for you. Your evolving technique is likely the biggest variable at present.

Tons of guys prefer vintage razors! You might consider a Tech or one of the Gillette adjustables.

Welcome aboard!

I also endorse the suggestion that you stick with one set up for a bit. My preference is the ‘mild-moderate’ range. However, your Henson may work well for you. Your evolving technique is likely the biggest variable at present.

Tons of guys prefer vintage razors! You might consider a Tech or one of the Gillette adjustables.
What would you consider moderate? Henson medium? Others?

Now that I think of it, all of my razors have been used, even the modern ones.

The Razorock Game Changer can be "adjusted" by purchasing extra base plates. Plates with .68, .76, .84, and 1.05 blade gaps are currently offered.

I consider the .76P and .84P (safety bar) plates moderate...neither is terribly aggressive and both are efficient enough to get close and comfortable, 3-pass shaves. I've currently own the .68P (mild) and .76P, and have used the .84P.

The Game Changer is a solid value, and you can get a complete stainless steel razor and a second base plate plate with the gap of your choice for under 100 bucks.

Top Bottom