What's new

Newbie question

Hello everyone. I’m relatively new here and I’ve been looking for some post or information about Razor, and wet shaving in general, hardware restoration. I’ve recently purchased a few vintage razors here and there and would love to restore them. Any guidance offered from the B&B group I’m sure would be terrific, so I’m looking but maybe not in the right areas as I’m still learning the ropes. Where should I be looking? Thanks.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are different sections of B&B for different types of razor (double edged, single edged and straight) and all of them contain numerous threads about restoration. However, the latter word takes in everything from cleaning off soap scum to repairing quite serious mechanical defects, so how hard you will need to look depends on exactly what you're looking for. It might just be a matter of scanning down each sub-forum, or posting a question about the specific issue or issues facing you. Generally speaking, somebody will either answer you or point you in the direction of an existing thread with the answer.

Gotcha. Thanks for the info. I just didn’t want to go posting questions if the answers are already out there in a thread, but there is a lot of stuff to look through so I like your idea of posting and then getting pointed in the right direction. Some forums I’ve been on seem to frown on posting what they call “repeat questions” that have been discussed before. It’s just hard to find the answer sometimes even if they have been discussed, at least for me lol.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to the site, please post some pictures of what you have and you will probably get more specific answers/help on restoring your razors. You can post them here. You already got some very good advice above.

Thanks so much everyone. I will post some pics and questions on the specific razors I’m restoring when they arrive. I appreciate it.

Hello, got these 2 GEM razors in from eBay today. Ones in awesome condition and the other looks like it could be made to look very nice again. Any advice and direction on getting them back to their former glory would be much appreciated. Thanks

proxy.php

Some great advice above!

In the meantime I would start by soaking them in Dawn and hot water for awhile. Then a soft cloth and/or an old toothbrush. After that, see how they shave before planning your next move! Enjoy the razors!!

Some great advice above!

In the meantime I would start by soaking them in Dawn and hot water for awhile. Then a soft cloth and/or an old toothbrush. After that, see how they shave before planning your next move! Enjoy the razors!!

Thank you.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Any advice and direction on getting them back to their former glory would be much appreciated.

I believe they're Chrome plated so not a lot can be done unless they're stripped and replated. Some platers wont even strip Chrome GEMS because Chrome platiing is so diifficult to remove.

For plating issues there’s not really much you can do outside of ship it out. Might be a good option if you really want these razors back to “like new” condition. A few members have tried replating themselves and found that it was next to impossible at home. I’m sure someone will chime in with recommendations for who you can send the razors to. Can’t remember off the top of my head. But just cleaning them does make a big difference. I recommend Flitz metal polish to shine them up after cleaning. It’s non-toxic and works very well at removing tarnish and shining up dull razors. Best of luck!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
My MMOC doesnt look that much better and I personally couldnt care less about the plating on it. Its an incredible razor, but it will take time to learn.

IMG_2731.jpg

Thanks everyone. After some soaking and light cleaning with a soft toothbrush and micro cloth they both look good. The Gbar flip top looks brand new. The Micromatic has some dings and scrapes in the plating but the mechanics work fine.
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong with my pictures? They don’t seem to be loading, only has a big red X lol.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Can anyone tell me what I’m doing wrong with my pictures? They don’t seem to be loading, only has a big red X lol.

I see them now, but they took a bit to load because of their size.

Untitled1.jpg

Untitled.jpg

1.3MB and a resolution of 4032x3024 is pretty large. I resize all my pics, usually to 1920x1080. They load much quicker and are still big enough to see fine details.

Some forums I’ve been on seem to frown on posting what they call “repeat questions” that have been discussed before.
It's usually only one or two curmudgeons who have this attitude. Asking repeat questions is very helpful to the questioner and other newbies trying to learn IMO. I've never figured out why the people who don't like repeat questions don't just ignore them and let the people who don't mind them try to help out.

Top Bottom