What's new

newbie question

Hello, I ordered a brush and some col conk soaps(first purchase) should be in Tues. Question...after searching around I saw the shave creams. Is there a pro/con for each? I should of ordered a cream to compare....On my next order I will.

Most opinions you are going to get on this will personal preference related. Some think that shave soaps provide a closer shave, while creams provide for more cushion and protection to your face. At least that’s what I gather from my reading of the boards these past few weeks. As far as me, I’m a soap man. I find that with shave soaps I do in fact get a much closer, smoother shave then with creams. I still like creams, and creams do offer a much broader selection of scents, but I find that after shaving with a cream I still have little areas where stubble remain, even after a 3 pass shave. With soaps I find that I can knock out all my stubble with a very nice, close, comfortable 2 shave pass.

It’s probably not a bad idea to get a cream or three just to try. You may find that your face likes the way a cream works better. Either way you go, enjoy your time here and have fun shaving.

I think you'll find that while most have a preference, the majority of folks here do use both types.

-- John Gehman, soap guy, ...except when I use a shave cream.

I am new at this myself, and have used my DE only a few times now, but personally I would suggest cream if you are new at DE shaving. I have both soap (Edwin Jagger Aloe Vera & de Vergulde Hand) and cream (Body Shop). However I find it easier to use the cream, which lets me focus more on the actual shaving, e.g. technique; angle; pressure and such. The lather seems to be easier to whip up and appears to last longer between passes. It just reduces the number of things I have to think about while trying to master DE shaving. When my shaving technique improves I will try the soaps again. Although I do think I will try Mantic's Superlather soon, which is a combo of soap and cream.

Of course as always YMMV!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
For sure try some creams, as well as a few different soaps. That way, you can find one that best suits your personal preferences. Don't forget to read some reviews of creams and soaps in the Reviews section. :thumbup:

Yeah, for me, creams are the ideal, but I do have a few soaps and liked them (although they're a bit more work) and will probably be picking up a few more.

Variety is good.:thumbup1:

So for the creams...you basically just put small size in bowl...add a little water and lather away? It seems w/ the cream you can lather on the face easier?

Variety is the name of the game for me. I use creams, soaps, superlathers, preshave oils, anything that might give me a better shave, and variety keeps the attention focused and that always results in a great shave. Since I rediscovered wet shaveing every morning is like a trip to a spa. The big question is always "what shall we try today?"

OldSaw

The wife's investment
Hello, I ordered a brush and some col conk soaps(first purchase) should be in Tues. Question...after searching around I saw the shave creams. Is there a pro/con for each? I should of ordered a cream to compare....On my next order I will.

Mostly I just wanted to say, "Love the Colonel".

For years I used Conk almond exclusively and I lathered right in the same mug as the soap. You don't need to make a chore out of it. Just start using it and work on refining your procedures as you go.

As others said, try some creams as well. Two cautions:

1. Take it slow. Don't let acquisition disorders derail your fun.

2. Skip the cheap stuff. Col. Conk is about the best of the low cost leaders, you don't need to waste your money looking for some really great cheap product that no one has discovered, it doesn't exist. The good stuff lasts a pretty good while, so save up for the next one and buy it when you need it.

Most of all...Enjoy the lather:smile:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So for the creams...you basically just put small size in bowl...add a little water and lather away? It seems w/ the cream you can lather on the face easier?

Pre-soak the brush for 5+ minutes (in a coffee mug or something ... not with coffee in obviously :w00t: ). Then put a snurdle of cream (it's about 'this' big, a snurdle is, or 'that' big, dependng on the cream ... :mellow: ... let's just say almond-sized for now ...) in your lathering bowl. Shake out the water from the brush, and start mushing the brush into your snurdle. Dip the brush into the coffee mug as needed to add a bit more water from time to time, as you work toward the perfect lather. You can migrate to your face to lather as you please.

IMHO, face-lathering is about the same with soap or cream.

Why limit yourself at all try both, then try both together, in a super or uberlather. this is my favorite and the most enjoyable.... I just recently started adding and little pure glycerin to the mix and I am very happy with the results of the lather, it seems to make it even slicker and it has longer legs to it. Speaking of legs the Wife has started using a super lather and a brush now to shave her legs (not enough guts to try a DE yet) and she swears that her legs are smoother and she gets way less nicks... Now if I could teach here to mix her own lather :smile: HMMMmmmmm maybe that might be half the fun is making the lather for her:biggrin:

Glen

I actually use both at the same time. I start with working up a lather on the soap then move over to the mug containing the cream and whip them together. Something else that seems to work for me is working the lather into the whiskers really good. I read an old ad from Gillette from like 1906 or so where KC says to work the lather in for 3 minutes. I started doing that and I have noticed a difference. Right now my favorite cream is C&E Sweet Almond Oil. I really like the scent.

My first purchase was Geo Trumper Sandalwood soap. Excellent. Then price motives made me try Col. Conk and I was shocked at the difference - not in a good way. If you try the Colonel and are not satisfied don't give up.

I would try a well regarded cream and see the difference. If you check the site I think it safe to say that Taylor's Old Bond Street Rose and just about any Art of Shaving Cream is an excellent place to start. The Art of Shaving unscented is excellent for sensitive skin; plus the allegedly scented creams are almost scent-free. I like the creams better than soaps maybe b/c I've gotten lazy. I do not feel the difference between soaps and creams.

Have fun.

Top Bottom