What's new

Newbie Looking For Recommendations

Hello all! Military member, Texas Tech fan, and I've been de shaving for around 9 months now and loving it. Looking for advice on a new razor, brush, and possibly aftershave.

Setup-
Blade: Edwin JagerDE89 with Astra Superior Platinum blades.
Soaps: Stirling Tea Tree & Lemon Chill, Wholly Kaw Vetivertal, & B&M Latha Figgy Pudding
Brush: Omega Pro 48 boar
Aftershave: The creamy white Proraso

Currently using disposable razors (and hating it) as the screw on my EJ89 head recently broke. In light of that I'm looking to upgrade my setup, because why not.

-In terms of razor currently looking at retro razor setups, the rockwell model T, the stirling forth worth, or anything cool. Would like something that looks good after one pass, but can be a daily shaver as I shave 5 times a week at least. EJ89 worked just fine although I did have an occasional irritation. I would enjoy a solid feeling razor.

-For brushes the Omega was good quality with soft bristles, but the brush is overall too big for me. I'm definitely looking for smaller in every way. I usually face lather, but would be interested in switching to bowl. Still window shopping here I just know smaller is better for me.

-Would love to add to my aftershave choices, but I'm stationed overseas and alot of the aftershaves I'm interested in are stateside and alcohol containing. Anything mountain many, woodsys, piney, leathery, or similar recommendations that can be found and shipped around Europe would be great.

-In terms of soaps I'm set and would wholeheartedly recommend Sterling Tea Tree and Wholly Kaw Vetivertal. Might look into sampling more Sterling or Wholly Kaw.

I would recommend checking out Connaught shaving. It is a British company that carries almost anything you might want, and they ship all over Europe (at least until Brexit happens). Since you can ship from the States for the same price as within Conus, you should also check out Maggards and West Coast Shaving. Both vendors can supply almost anything that your heart desires. For vintage stuff, you just about have to go to eBay or Etsy.

For a razor I would suggest the Rockwell 6S or 6C depending on how much you want to spend. For a smaller brush Semogue 620 or 630 would be good. Since you are active duty come join the Foxhole Shavers Club and hang out with the other active duty and veteran members.

It looks like you have a great setup there. I have a D89 and while I like it, it was not aggressive enough for me. Perhaps an adjustable (Parker Variant, Merkur Futur) might work for you. I also have the Omega 48 brush. I love it, but you are right, it is huge. I recommend a Razorock Plissoft. It is quite a bit smaller than the 48 and it performs very well. You have already picked some great soaps, and there are a lot of other great soaps from Stirling and Wholly Kaw. Good luck!

Hi there. Before you get a new razor, try contacting Edwin Jagger and describing what happened to your old one. The firm has a reputation for really standing behind its products and replacing parts that fail.
Not that I'm arguing against buying a new razor if you want to; after all, it's always good to have a spare. My vote would go to the Rockwell 6S or 6C.

Welcome aboard!

Another vote for contacting EJ or your vendor. They will typically stand behind their products. This is a good razor to learn on IMO. Once your technique is solid, then you can move on (or not.) Just my $0.02!

Normally I'd recommend a vintage (they last forever), but since you want a heavier razor (that's how I'm interpreting your desire for solid feeling) I'm going to recommend the Fatip Piccolo. It's got a little bit of heft, it's not too expensive, it will last, and it will mow down the whiskers.

Since you like the Omega boar brush, I'd just look for another Omega in the size and handle you want. Lot's of choices, not very expensive, and you can already recommend the brand to yourself.

Welcome to B&B.
Would like something that looks good after one pass
I am a little confused by your quest. Using the double edge is about progressive reduction of the stubble so a single pass will not get you to a close comfortable shave. A two pass shave may get you there though. Perhaps consider an adjustable razor like the Gillette super adjustable or the Merkur Progress. I would try blades like the Gillette Silver Blue or & O'Clock SharpEdge for a variation even though I consider the Astra SP to be one of the top blades.
You also refer to getting some occasional irritation so that would suggest a problem with technique but don't under estimate the value of good lather.
I hear the Semogue 620 has a smaller knot so may be worth considering.

Welcome to B&B.

I am a little confused by your quest. Using the double edge is about progressive reduction of the stubble so a single pass will not get you to a close comfortable shave. A two pass shave may get you there though. Perhaps consider an adjustable razor like the Gillette super adjustable or the Merkur Progress. I would try blades like the Gillette Silver Blue or & O'Clock SharpEdge for a variation even though I consider the Astra SP to be one of the top blades.
You also refer to getting some occasional irritation so that would suggest a problem with technique but don't under estimate the value of good lather.
I hear the Semogue 620 has a smaller knot so may be worth considering.
I vote for the adjustable to.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
Wondering his the 89 broke?
I echo the Rockwell recommendations. 6c. But I guess the 6s is not currently available. Depending on budget, give a look at the timeless razor.

Wondering his the 89 broke?
I echo the Rockwell recommendations. 6c. But I guess the 6s is not currently available. Depending on budget, give a look at the timeless razor.
6S is now in stock, though I'd still recommend the 6C.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks for the replies everyone!
-I went with a Gillette Slim Adjustable, if that's not up to my liking I will probably try a fatip next
-I sent E&J an email on their contact form, we'll see what they say
-Still looking around for brushes leaning towards Omega 599/636

Update: The Gillette Slim is going great. Was not a fan on the lowering settings, but on 6 or 7 it's a real charm. May still get the Fatip just for the fun of it.

Top Bottom