What's new

Newbie Looking for Advice--Very Sensitive Skin

Hello everyone. Excellent site and community here. Thanks for the in-depth guides and the wealth of information. I have read and lurked a bit now, and I seek some specific guidance if possible.

I currently shave every day because I work in a very conservative business dress environment. Suit and tie every day. I also have very sensitive Irish-American (read ruddy) skin. Razor burn and ingrowns are both major issues for me, and these are exacerbated by the collars of my shirts, even though I give myself extra room for that very purpose. I have attempted to alleviate these problems by using a Gillette sensor, lavender shave cream from eshave, and a brush. Things have improved a little bit, but I know that I have a lot to learn with respect to technique. Regardless, I now believe that the best shot at reducing irritation is to try a wetshave, which I have never attempted before. I am prepared to take the time to learn to do this properly, especially now that I am aware of the great resources here.

So I guess I have the standard newbie questions with respect to how to get started. I have been through the various (and helpful guides). I think a Merkur razor makes sense, I'm just not sure which one. And I also would love to know some suggestions for especially sensitive skin types. My skin is that very difficult combination of sensitive, dry, AND oily. :rolleyes:

So here are my specific questions:

1) Which razor would be best for me as a newbie and with my specific skin type?

2) What cream or soap should I try first?

3) Are there any other products (e.g., pre-shave lotion, witch hazel) that I also should consider at this point?

Many thanks for taking the time to read this long-winded post. Any guidance will be greatly appreciated.

Welcome to B&B!

I have a similar work environment as you...suits 5 days a week. I have sensitive skin with a beard that grows in all directions on my neck. Here's some simple suggestions for you:

1) Watch Mantic's videos on YouTube for pointers on how to wetshave with a DE
2) Post a WTB newbie DE on the B/S/T forum...you'll get hits in no time. Often recommended are vintage Gillette Superspeeds (SS). I bought two as my first two DE razors and have no complaints
3) Buy a sampler blade pack from Westcoastshaving.com and work your way through the blades. Start with Derbys and work your way to the sharper blades
4) Get some witch hazel. Use it on your face after shaving and rinsing with cold water
5) Try out a sensitive balm like Nivea Sensitive w/no alcohol.

Good luck and post your results!

Welcome to B&B!

I have a similar work environment as you...suits 5 days a week. I have sensitive skin with a beard that grows in all directions on my neck. Here's some simple suggestions for you:

1) Watch Mantic's videos on YouTube for pointers on how to wetshave with a DE
2) Post a WTB newbie DE on the B/S/T forum...you'll get hits in no time. Often recommended are vintage Gillette Superspeeds (SS). I bought two as my first two DE razors and have no complaints
3) Buy a sampler blade pack from Westcoastshaving.com and work your way through the blades. Start with Derbys and work your way to the sharper blades
4) Get some witch hazel. Use it on your face after shaving and rinsing with cold water
5) Try out a sensitive balm like Nivea Sensitive w/no alcohol.

Good luck and post your results!

+1 On the advice given above.

I would add to that to help with your ingrown problem, buy a small inexpensive facial brush from your local drug store and exfoliate your shave area the night before you shave, using warm water and a natural moisturizing soap (olive oil soap). Apply to the skin in circular motions using the brush, without scrubbing too hard. This should lift the hairs gently out and remove dead skin layers. Best not to do this directly prior to shaving though, as it can make your skin too sensitive. Always best done the night before.

Hope that's helpful, and welcome to B&B!:001_smile:001_smile

So get ready for a lot of experimentation. That's the name of the game in the begining. You have to find the right razor, blade, cream, lotion, cologne, cognac, book, wife....sorry.

Seriously though. You'll be jumping around a lot. I would recomend getting an adjustable razor. I use a Merker Futur and I love it. There are some better suited begginer adjustables, but i can't recall any names, i'm sure someone else will be able too.

Soaps is another range of experiments. You gotta figure out soaps or creams first. I perfer creams. I think they're easier to use and i get a lot better shave out of them. But it's really subjective. If you have really sensitive skin, be careful with scents at first. I've found that my skin (also sensitive and combo) can't handle some heavily fragranced soap. With that said, try out some Crabtree and evelyn creams. Easy to find, relatively cheap, and quality.

As for the other products, pretty soon we'll be trying to tell you NOT to buy things! But get some witchhazel for aftershave/toner, and i really like proraso pre/post. You can pick up a bottle in the b/s/t forums for pretty cheap. Throw some on before your first pass, and you'll be great.

Also keep in mind, you skin takes some time to adjust. I'm here because i had a similar problem to yours. Always had an irritated face. When i first started wetshaving i was angry that it didn't fix it. But as time goes on and your skin adjusts and you get better, it will get better. But on the days that it's still red, try out some hydrocortisone cream. Just a small bit will take some of the red away and reduce any swelling.

Hope this helped. Best of luck and keep us updated!

Great advice Ru4scuba? I have similar skin. I get a decent shave with Mach3s, brush and a good cream, but I want to give wet shaving a shot. I wear a shirt and tie 5 days a week to work. The one problem I have is my neck gets irritated from the shirt being buttoned up. Probably not much I can do about that.

Thanks for such fast and informative replies! I think I'll be going for an adjustable Merkur and a blade sampler pack. I will make sure to update about my progress, and of course I continue to welcome your advice here.

One thing I would recommend, if you are going the adjustable route, is to pick a low setting and keep it there for some time until you get used to the razor and the technique involved. The biggest problem newbies make is that they feel the need to keep adjusting the razor which just creates more problems. By keeping the setting constant for a period of time, you'll remove one variable from determining the quality of shaves. Then you'll be able to see how different blade/cream/soap combos work for you. I think you'll find that the neck irritation will be the first thing to disappear once you get the technique down. Since I started using a DE a year ago, I don't have any of the collar-induced irritation I used to have that drove me crazy. Good luck and keep us posted.

I currently shave every day because I work in a very conservative business dress environment. Suit and tie every day. I also have very sensitive Irish-American (read ruddy) skin. Razor burn and ingrowns are both major issues for me, and these are exacerbated by the collars of my shirts, even though I give myself extra room for that very purpose.

Maybe I'm wrong but this could possibly be like Folliculitis. It is a common problem and one that can be helped. Please visit this site http://www.webmd.com/a-to-z-guides/folliculitis-topic-overview

I am in the process of discovering that I have sensitive skin. The only shaving cream that does not burn my skin is Nancy Boy Signature. AOS and TOBS burn my skin when I lather up for the 2nd pass. Some suggested that it may be a technique problem, but the more I test and practice the more convinced that I have sensitive skin. The point of all this is that I believe Nancy Boy Signature to be an excellent cream for sensitive skin.

Thanks ATL Jack. I was looking at Nancy Boy the other day, and will check it out again.

I also am interested in scent. I know scented foams, after shaves, etc. run the risk of irritation, so I will keep that in mind. Regardless, if possible, I would like a shave cream or after shave that has that classic "barber shop" scent. Not necessarily strong Grandpa, but something old school that smells like a fresh shave, if that makes sense. Does it? :blush:

EDIT: As a side note, despite the fact that I am looking for "old school," I don't like Old Spice. It's too cologne-y for me if that helps.

Last edited:
I have sensitive skin; although, probably not as sensitive as yours. I have good luck with Mussgo Real. I have heard good things about Proraso with Green Tea and loe. The regular Proraso gave me a good shave, but irritated my skin.

Hi everyone. Turns out there's an Art of Shaving near my office, so I went there during lunch today. I picked up a Merkur Progress, unscented AOS pre-shave oil, and unscented shaving cream. I already have a brush from eshave (entry level). I'll pick up some blades and a few other goodies from West Coast. Based on what I've read here, I expect to do most of my shopping at West Coast when possible, but I wanted to actually see this stuff first and smell it as well. My way probably is needlessly more expensive.

Regardless, I have a few sample shave creams coming, and I'm also looking for an after shave splash.

I think I'll start this weekend so that any cuts have the appropriate amount of time to heal. :blushing:

Just wanted to say a word of thanks to those in this and so many other helpful threads. I have been using the unscented Art of Shaving pre-shave oil and shaving cream with my Sensor blade. I also purchased a Merkur Progress, but have not used it yet because I want to take it a step at a time.

I have been focusing on building a nice lather, taking my time, and focusing on technique. After reading here and watching mantic's very helpful videos, I have had the best shaves of my life with much MUCH less irritation. What a pleasure. I have also ordered a bunch of samples, which has been a fun and cheap way to figure out what I do/don't like.

I plan to try the DE this coming weekend. So far, so good. My face thanks B&B, as do I.

At the risk of sounding overly-dramatic, with the help of this site the quality of my life has improved. Significantly. My razor burn/irritation, which had become intolerable, is much much better. It probably will always be a slight issue with my skin type, but using the products and techniques described here makes shaving a pleasure again. And people have actually noticed! So, again, a big thanks.

That's a good story but when you start DE, be very cautious.
When I started DE shaving again, I just realised that my technique is so poor even that I had earlier experience, so I need to learn more about wet shaving. Good luck!

1) Merku HD would be great
proxy.php

or a 1940's gillette superspeed is also a great choice
proxy.php

2)Proraso makes a great soap with green tea and aloe made specifically for sensitive skin, it's great! Comes in a white container.
proxy.php

3) Blade sampler would a good idea. If you can try to find a sampler that includes the following:
Astra - Nice and sharp and very smooth = less irritation
proxy.php

Personna - Sharp, cheap and smooth.
proxy.php

Derby - Great blade but there are some people that don't enjoy them, I love them and they are worth a try.
proxy.php

Whoops see I was a little late in posting this since you have already chosen a progress. But they are still good suggestions for blades and soaps.

Last edited:
That's a good story but when you start DE, be very cautious.
When I started DE shaving again, I just realised that my technique is so poor even that I had earlier experience, so I need to learn more about wet shaving. Good luck!

I forgot to mention that I have been using the DE for almost 2 months now. Still being very conservative and watching my technique, which I am learning takes quite some time to develop.

I have also got sensitive skin that's prone to ingrowns. After a few months of trying alsorts of combos I have come to the conclusion that you need to keep it simple. I now just use Proraso white soap, and their ASB (the white non-alcoholic milky one). No other oils/face scrubs or washes. I wash each evening with plain warm water - no soap and again in the shower before the shave. Of course this type of issue is very personal and my routine won't necessarily work for you, but my point really is that less is often more for sensitive skins. I also found Astra blades to be the best combo of smooth shave and sharp blade. They are also very reasonably priced.

The other half to the deal is definitely technique. Don't go for BBS straight away and definitely stay away from ATG shaves for a good while, until you are confident in your technique and your skin is adjusted to DE shaving. You can use the gentlest products out there but if you are mowing your face badly each day they won't help much. I applaud your self control in not using your shiny new Progress before yo ufeel you have the lathering worked out. That's the way to go.

Good luck my friend and I hope the improvements continue.

Top Bottom