What's new

Newbie in Texas.

Just wanted to say hi. I got into wet shaving a couple months ago and I am hooked. I love how I am shaving the way my grandfather used to shave. I always hated shaving (I have a very coarse beard that grows very fast). I tried every different kind of disposable cartridge razor on the market and every kind of shave cream. Never failed.....I always bled on my neck after every shave. I couldn't shave every day or I would get severe razor burn. It was an unhappy chore.

Ever since I got into the DE/wet shave life, I have a new found respect and joy of shaving. I can shave every day and rarely do I have a drop of blood (nothing compared to the massacre that usually happened before). My wife has been very supportive (she very much loves anything vintage and old school). It is something that I can tell I will be hooked on. We have a six month old son and I already daydream, while shaving, of the day when I can teach him how to shave and I can pass on my tools to him.

Currently I am using the Merkur 34C safety razor, AOS badger brush, Proraso green tea oat pre shave, proraso sandalwood cream, proraso green tea and oat aftershave balm. I'm starting to try different soaps, shampoos, and colognes. Today I tried the D.R. harris ocean shampoo bar, Level Naturals Eucalyptus Lime soap, and TOBS St James Cologne (not a big fan of the cologne).

The more I get into it, the more I want to get into straight razor shaving. I'm still doing research and plan on adding this to wet shaving experience very soon.

Sorry for the long winded post, really glad to be here guys.

howdy, (always love saying that), from a ny'er.
give it time, enjoy the shaves, and soon try the parker srw shavette straight razor. cheap and it takes the razor blades you will use with your de razor. just be sure to try as many blades and find the brand you like. there is no "best". That's an objective opinion.
http://www.westcoastshaving.com/Parker-SRW-Barber-Straight-Razor_p_1286.html

you will love the D.R. Harris shave soaps. I have the lavender and love the conditioning properties of the soap. next up is mike's natural soaps

Thanks ricardo9505. I have tried a few different blades and have found the Derby's to work best on my face. I want to start experimenting with different soaps and creams. So far I've only had the sandalwood (my wife is not too fond of that scent) from Proraso and AOS. Haven't tried any soaps yet. What is the advantage/disadvantage of soaps vs creams?

I saw those parker straight razors. However, I think part of the excitement is doing the honing myself. I find it very cool to bring a piece of steel to be shave ready. I'm sure I'll mess up, but that's part of the fun.

Hi Jfuse: Welcome to B&B. Derby blades do not like me but glad that it loves you because you cannot beat that price. You can purchase a 100 pack of Derby blades for cheap on Amazon.com. Enjoy your safety razor journey. I know I am.

WARHAWK

Welcome aboard from one Texas newbie to another! I'm hooked myself. Have an old Gillette slim that I found in an antique store. Very nice!

Welcome. If you want to try other soaps, I recommend shave sticks. You can buy a bunch of soaps without taking up so much space. Speick and Valobra are excellent reasonably priced sticks.

Welcome! you will find a lot of people here into retro, check out my '65 vacuum $2012-09-02_16-54-52_429.jpg

Man that brings back memories. I'm 36. We had one with a blue bag that I used to use until I was 14. Man that thing was a workout...lol.

My wife is very big into vintage/ retro things. She did pin-up modeling until she got pregnant for our little one. She's thinking about getting back into it.

Man that brings back memories. I'm 36. We had one with a blue bag that I used to use until I was 14. Man that thing was a workout...lol.

My wife is very big into vintage/ retro things. She did pin-up modeling until she got pregnant for our little one. She's thinking about getting back into it.

I know, I used to restore them, do not have much now, but also have a '55, the one pictured is a daily driver though, will be selling others soon

Glad you've tried some different blades. Derby's are OK with me but are love or hate (mostly the latter) around here. Welcome to B&B fellow Texan.

Top Bottom