What's new

Newbie Here- Feeling defeated and frustrated

Cold water shaves may give you less irritation. However, a good hot soak with a wet towel before you lather up will probably give you less too, because it softens up the beard hair and makes it easier to cut. Easier to cut means less work for the razor, less temptation to add pressure, and fewer passes, all of which mean less irritation.

You'll get there, I can get a decent shave without burn even with a worn out blade, just takes longer and is less comfortable.

Peter

So I just got a Semogue brush and I wanted to break it in with my Truefit and Hill no. 10 soap and I thought I'd give it a run to break it in. I kept lathering, adding water past my limits. Watering, lathering and after about 5 minutes I got a lather that resembled a very sloppy slick lather. I am almost positive what I THOUGHT was half decent lather this whole time was just crap and what actually the issue was the whole time was I had no slickness in my lather at all. I think it was the lather because for the first time, I can almost feel how moisturized my beard is after adding what I believe to actually be quality lather , my beard and face feels moisturized as if I just put a moisturizer on my face a few minutes ago. I definitely have my tail between my legs at the moment. I am going to shave with my scuttle tomorrow and try to recreate this lather and give it a good shave.

I still need to shave obviously but this is probably why I can't seem to get a half decent shave and figure out angle because no matter how I shave, the lather has no slickness and it results in a bad shave.

Last edited:
That's what it says on my vintage Wade and Butcher straight!

The slickness is what allows the edge to slide over your skin without scraping. No slickness, you get major irritation.

That's why I'm fond of Williams soap -- hard to lather (very hard water here, have to use distilled), don't get piles of hard white foam, but I DO get very slick lather and great shaves.

Keep at it, you will figure it out.

Peter

Well I have given it a few shaves. It seems that I definitely get no issues while going with the grain. It seems the nicks and irritation come when I go across the grain or against the grain. Once I do that, I get a handful on blood spots on my neck. Any suggestions on how ot figure out blade angle that way other than just not going ATG or CTG? I've been using my Atra razor to get those left behind spots and I never have issues. In fact, if I don't figure this out soon, I think I might just retire the DE razor and go to the Atra full time just using what I know about wet shaving.

Well I have given it a few shaves. It seems that I definitely get no issues while going with the grain. It seems the nicks and irritation come when I go across the grain or against the grain. Once I do that, I get a handful on blood spots on my neck. Any suggestions on how ot figure out blade angle that way other than just not going ATG or CTG? I've been using my Atra razor to get those left behind spots and I never have issues. In fact, if I don't figure this out soon, I think I might just retire the DE razor and go to the Atra full time just using what I know about wet shaving.

Don't give up yet amigo. Seems to me you're so fixated on making it work right now. Sometimes it doesn't work that way friend. Patience and practice, no pressure and patience and practice some more. If you have to, give yourself a break and stop the DE use for a few days, or couple of weeks. Heck, take a month if you want. Take your mind off of thinking, or overthinking the DE shave process. Clear it out and come back to it, fresh and clear. Sometimes a good reset can help. Remember PPnP, (Practice, Patience, no Pressure). Give it time....:thumbup1:

I use a fatboy and all I can say is that I use number 5 and use no pressure. As already said irratation is almost alway from to much pressure. Ease up on the pressure even if you think you are using no pressure. Hold the razor as if it will almost fall out of your fingers.

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Sorry to hear about your troubles. You may just want to take a break and come back to it. I find that most things work better in life for me if I take a break when I'm frustrated. I am guilty of wanting this to work right away for me and getting frustrated to the point of giving up when they don't. I almost quit DE twice until I figured out it was dry skin issues.

Have you looked at the wiki on blade angle?
http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/Blade_Angle

Kindly,
Adam

Top Bottom