What's new

Newbie from Norway . Waiting for my first order.

Hi.
I'm a 32 year old guy from Norway.

This summer when I was in Turkey I had my first professional shave ever.

Made a little video of it:

Then and there I realised I had to quit using the Gilette products I'm used to.

Did a little research, and ended up ordering a starting-pack from a Norwegian online vendor. It will arrive tomorrow, so now I can't wait to try it.

I have never tried shaving with a shavette myself, so I ordered a safety razor instead. But if I get the hang of it, I'll order a shavette as well.

The starting-pack includes: 1 Mühle R89 safety razor, 5 pack of Derby Extra blades, Proraso shavin creame with aloe, Proraso Liquid cream aftershave and a Proraso Boar brush.

What do you guys think? Is this an okay starter kit?

And does anyone have suggestions to wich shavette (preferably cheap) to start with?

Last edited by a moderator:
Shavettes don't really have much of a following that I'm aware of, most of the ones I've seen are really quite inexpensive, with the quality only really determined by which DE blade you choose to snap in half to put inside.

As for your starter kit, proraso makes good products, so with patience and good technique you should be able to get a wonderful shave. Of course, since you only ordered five blades I'm sure that you'll be making another purchase soon and trying out more products!

Thanks. guys.

@Kirill: I'll probably make another order pretty soon, yes. I'll probably order some different types of blades. I've read a lot of nice things about Astra and Feather blades. Mabe I'll order a Parker shavette at the same time. I've noticed that shavettes doesn't have a lot of followers, but I don't want all the maintenance that comes with a Straight edge razor.

@Christian_V: I'll post some pics and write a little bit about my first shave tomorrow. :thumbup1:

Welcome! Proraso make great products. You'll have a couple of thousand blades and fifty-odd razors in no time. Enjoy!

As usual, when I'm exited about something, I just can't wait to order what I want. So I just placed an order on a Parker 31R Shavette razor (entierly stainless steel), with 100 Derby Professional single edge razor blades. Can't complain about the price. About $25 including shipping to Norway.

$Parkershavette_zps1ef774e5.jpg

:w00t::thumbup:

The shaving went pretty well.

$null_zps4b5d7a0e.jpg

The brush worked better than my expectations. I had read that the Proraso boar brush is pretty stiff, but I found it just right. Now, I've only tried one brush before (my dads), and I think his brush is softer, but doesn't massage the lather as good as the Proraso.

I got a bit razor burn on my throath, but not as much as with the Gilette I'm used to. A couple of nicks thoug. That's probably to be expected.

$null_zpsaa1f04ad.jpg

I'll definately throw away my Gilette. :thumbup1::biggrin1:

Last edited:
Welcome Snikkeren !...I agree,shavettes are kind of wimpy,if you can handle a shavette ,you can handle a real work of art straight,but it is a lot of maintenance compared to a SE or DE razor.You aren't too far from the Netherlands,check out http://www.barbershopclassics.nl for a nice view of great products.The starter set-up you have now is really a great choice,and if you are getting nicks try to use less pressure,and do a really good prep job,with a very hot towel held to your lower face / neck right before applying the lather...Good luck and have fun on the forum !

Thanks for the advice. I probably used a bit to much pressure when shaving my neck. I got a little razor burns and a couple of nicks. Nothing too bad, so I'm definately not discuraged by it.
I really don't want the maintenance that comes with a straight. But I do want to learn how to use a shavette. I know it's not a real straight, but it's definately "manly" enough.

When I was using cartridge-blades, I could only shave once a week, tops.

Today i thought I should shave again, since it's been a day in between. That was a mistake. Everything went well until I started on my neck. I got some serious razor burns on the lower part of my neck.

It might be my technique, but I have a suspicion it's the blades. When shaving my cheeks and chin, it was just fine. I have really sensitive skin on my neck, so when I started there, I immediatly felt it pulled quite a bit. I'm using the Derby Extra blades, and from what I can read on this forum, most people don't like them. What do you guys think? Am I on the right track, or is it just my technique?

Anyway, as impatient as I am, I just went ahead and ordered some new blades. Ended up with these:

$3ea6db292f22026e81769f249494fa1a_zpsf0c646d0.jpg$526b8307b16e68f96d1bd44baba2cc82_zps339bff86.jpg

I also ordered a styptic pencil:

$fd29519395665e4f90d51267622e06a7_zps503b1056.jpg

Finally I ordered the Proraso Razor Burn Repair:

$ed62c5797fb311f98a5e9f4dc131d7ca_zps3db233e8.jpg

The name certainly sounds amazing. The question is, is it?

Top Bottom