What's new

Newbie First Vintage Razor Purchace

Hello all

First post of many I hope
Recently developed an interest in learning how to use straight razors

I'll be getting a new straight razor to learn with but I had the chance to visit an antique fair where I picked up 3 razors, I went in blind having not done enough reseach to know if I was getting value or not or even if they were usable but at $30 each it's not a huge lost

Bellow is some photos I took of them
http://distortion.iinet.net.au/?dir=Razors

But reading them off
I got a
1st
Joseph Elliot Best Silver Steel with " The Silver Ring" on the blade

2nd
Kayser Ellison & Co best Sheffield silver steel with "ES PS" and Solingen on the blade

3rd
Sturrock & Sons

Cheers
Rob

Welcome. You will have a blast here! Lots of good info and really friendly folks.

Those look to be some very nice old blades.

Good score. I started with cheap Gold Dollar straight razor 5/8. Good shave for the price.
I still keep it in my rotation. Have a Dovo now and a Boker I bought from a antique sale that are both awsome. Nothing like the straight shave once I got it down. I look foward to shaving everyday.

Thanks for the replys guys

I'll probably try and collect a few more take some high quality photos and get some advice of whats worthwhile honing then send them of as a batch to get done.

Any which don't make the cut I'll use to practice stroping maybe restoring.
I was going to take one apart and try putting the blade in molasses for a couple of weeks then polishing it up, but I haven't been able to find any info on other people doing this to restore blades though.

Cheers
Rob

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Thanks for the replys guys

I'll probably try and collect a few more take some high quality photos and get some advice of whats worthwhile honing then send them of as a batch to get done.

Any which don't make the cut I'll use to practice stroping maybe restoring.
I was going to take one apart and try putting the blade in molasses for a couple of weeks then polishing it up, but I haven't been able to find any info on other people doing this to restore blades though.

Cheers
Rob

Molasses? :blink:

I would try mineral oil instead.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
:001_smile

It's actually a very effective way of chemically removing rust without damaging the surface,paint or creating ferric-phosphate on the metal that you would normally get with rust coverters

A good example of what I was going to try but on a smaller scale
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-_z4tinnXk

Cheers
Rob

There was someone who soaked the straight in pure vinegar for 24hrs that did a very nice job... I'm wondering how easy it will be to get rid of molasses...

Top Bottom