What's new

Newbie Check-In Whisky&Steak

Hi,
I am a newbie and just checking in. After several years of having a beard (since my final year in high school) I have had a somewhat scraggly beard. I've tried to keep it in shape, and used a safety razor to keep it trimmed along my cheeks. Now that I am doing field work in Italy for an archaeological dig I have decided to get it cut and to fully begin shaving. I plan to go to a Barber to get a straight razor shave, but after I wish to use a safety razor. I am here to learn, and unfortunately I must delve into my first question here: What is a good, middle range safety razor and blade that you suggest for someone that is new. Even better, do you know if they sell it in Italy? Sorry that this is so specific, and thank you for your help.
Cheers,
W&S

I've been shaving with a safety razor for about 4 years now, and my recommendation for a solid razor is the Merkur 34c. It should be pretty easy to get a hold of, I would think. If you ask 100 people for blade recommendations, you'll likely get 100 answers, but I am a fan of Personna Blue and Astra SP. Both the razor and those blades are pretty forgiving (as much as a razor-sharp object can be). I've purchased the majority of my shaving supplies online, so if that is an option, I bet you can find a place that will ship to where you are. Welcome!

Welcome aboard!

To answer your questions:
1. Razor: I suggest either a Merkur 34C or one of the EJ 89 series.
2. Blades: I suggest that you purchase a blade sampler pack or two.

Enjoy your time in Italy! Great

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. I would recommend an Edwin Jagger DE89 razor, which should be easily available from EU sources, at least until Brexit.

By the way, I really like your avatar.

Welcome aboard!

This.

Welcome aboard. The advice given by @BigJ above is the ubiquitous advice you will see expressed in dozens of different ways to new shavers around here. That’s mostly because it is fantastic advice. These razors are about as good as you are going to find for price to performance ratio, are readily available, and will do their job well for quite a long while.

Blade preferences are super subjective. You may or may not want to start with a sampler pack, though I would suggest you do - however after a few dozen shaves, when you get the hang of it it can pay good dividends to revisit blades that didn’t work for you as a fresh new shaver.

Welcome to B&B!

I started with a Gillette Fat Handle Tech that I bought off the bay, a wonderful razor.

If you want to start with a new razor I don't think you can go wrong with the advice given above.

As to blades I would suggest a blade sampler of some kind, as blades are subjective and very much a YMMV subject.

Welcome to the forum!
I am new too and I got going with a Merkur 34C very well.
Razors, I would now go for a sampler pack, instead of ready many reviews and seeing which one worked for my skin, razor combination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,
I am a newbie and just checking in. After several years of having a beard (since my final year in high school) I have had a somewhat scraggly beard. I've tried to keep it in shape, and used a safety razor to keep it trimmed along my cheeks. Now that I am doing field work in Italy for an archaeological dig I have decided to get it cut and to fully begin shaving. I plan to go to a Barber to get a straight razor shave, but after I wish to use a safety razor. I am here to learn, and unfortunately I must delve into my first question here: What is a good, middle range safety razor and blade that you suggest for someone that is new. Even better, do you know if they sell it in Italy? Sorry that this is so specific, and thank you for your help.
Cheers,
W&S

Welcome aboard!

Welcome Whisky&Steak,

I'll second BigJ's advice the EJ 89 is a excellent starter razor. I prefer vintage razors like my English Tech and new short comb but you can't go wrong w an EJ 89.

Brush get a cheap omega 10066.

Blades:
Get a sample pack of
GSB
Nacet
Featger
BIC
Yellow 7 O'Clock
Polsilver

Soaps:
Arko and Proraso green or TFS since you are in Italy.

A cheap alu block off the bay

Aftershave proraso green.

Cheers and happy shaves,

Mawashi

Thank you all for your suggestions and help. I had my beard shaved off for the first time, and was a little shocked. The last time I had seen my bare face was back in high school (still during those years of change). Now that I'm older it is like looking into the face of a familiar stranger. It's a strange feeling that I am sure some of you have experienced. Anyways, here is what I chose to order/ pick up.

Safety Razor: Edwin Jagger DE89L Double Edge Safety Razor, with lined chrome.

This was one of the most recommended razors for me to try, and after reading some reviews I decided to give it a go. In addition I bought a West Coast Shaving handle made of Walnut wood. It has a slight curve which I think looks attractive on safety razor, and it should have about the same weight as the standard one I was going to receive with the actual razor.

Blades: I purchased 4 packs of blades.
1 Feather New Hi-Stainless DE Blades
1 Gillette Silver Blue DE Blades
1 Astra Superior Stainless DE Blades
1 Wilkinson DE Blades

These were based off of suggestions in the comments, plus I read that the Feather Blades achieve a very close shave in the EJ 89.

Shaving Cream: Proraso Red (I have this at home already).

Aftershave: RazoRock Puros After Shave Splash

After some help on this forum and some research, I decided on this aftershave. The reviews all say it has a very strong tobacco musky scent that reminds it's users of stepping into a tobacco store. Paired with the Proraso Red I think it might make an interesting combination of fresh sandalwood and strong cigar smoke. This might be a mistake though, but I'll find out.

In addition to all this, I got the Proraso Green Pre-Shave Balm as my barber used it for my straight razor shave and I loved it. That fresh feeling is hard to beat, and while it probably doesn't pair well with everything else I got, Im sure I'll find better options in the future.

Thank you all for your help,
W&S

Top Bottom