What's new

New wet shaver getting razor burn

I've had and still sometimes get what I call the berzerker neck. If someone's having trouble with irritation the last place to start might be the so called sharpest blade of the lot. I did that little experiment and only managed to give myself what seemed like a decent skin graft.

But I'm learning and starting to get better shaves. I am learning that prep, good lather, and proper techniques are the most important keys to getting better shaves and minimizing irritation. Not any product. The fundamentals baby it's all about the fundies!

Give yourself a break you'll get there. It just wont happen overnight.

LtBrugman70 said:
Hey everyone, this is my first post here at B&B!

So, let me tell my little story:

I started wetshaving about 2 weeks ago, and everytime I shave I've got some pretty bad razor burn on the lower portion of my neck and on my chin, too. I use a Merkur classic with Merkur blades, Taylor of Old Bond Street Hypo-Allergenic Shaving Cream, and a pretty old brush. What can I do to minimize the razor burn? It's gotten to the point where I'm going 2-3 days between shaving. It seems that the regions with razor burn stay irritated for a while, and when I shave again I nick/irritate the bumps left from the last encounter.

I'm still working on the proper angle and technique, but the second my razor passes over that same region on my neck it starts to burn and I can tell that I'm getting nicked and it will be raw looking.

Also, what is everyone's opinion on the best way to wash your face before shaving?

Same here. Only had 3 DE shaves so far. First one was great, but second and third have gotten progressively worse. I'll definitely take the above advice, but while I'm here:

1. What's the best performing pre-shave oil?

2. I put my Vulfix #2235 Super Badger in a coffee mug of water fresh from my hotpot. Noticed the tips of the hair curled a bit. Does this affect the lather creation and application qualities of the brush?

Thanks

Consider snagging an old Gillette Tech razor. I got one and it is a very tame razor compared to my Merkur Long Classic. I've been alternating between these razors and have been having a pretty good time of it. I'm still learning as I'm into week three of shaving but loving every minute of it, even when I nick myself or don't quite get a BBS.

I'm in this for the long haul. Anything is better than those multi-blade villains or electric razors.

LtBrugman70 said:
I'm using new blades, and my aftershave treatment is just simple moisturizer with SPF.

This might be your culprit (or at least part of the problem). Try using something with no SPF. Sunscreens can clog pores and irritate skin...they are really not the best thing to be putting on a freshly shaven face. I have very sensitive skin prone to razor burn and would recommend Thayer's non-alcoholic witch hazel (available at GNC), followed by Corn Husker's lotion (available at walmart). Or either one of those by itself.

Jason

Top Bottom