What's new

NEW vs Old type

Let's talk about thick cap vs. thin cap in the Old type Gillettes. My impression is the thicker cap is the superior shaver, but I'm not sure why? I suggest the thicker head gives more stability and mass, but beyond that . . . I don't know.

I find the thicker head cap to be less forgiving, but more efficient. The old types are my favorite by far, I'm surprised they don't have more fans here.

I find the thicker head cap to be less forgiving, but more efficient. The old types are my favorite by far, I'm surprised they don't have more fans here.
I like mine. Not sure about it as a daily shaver as it does give a very close shave just WTG/XTG. You can really feel the blade touching though, even with a good angle & no pressure.

I like mine. Not sure about it as a daily shaver as it does give a very close shave just WTG/XTG. You can really feel the blade touching though, even with a good angle & no pressure.

I reach for my old types most of the time with a feather blade. I prefer my thin plate as a daily shaver but find that every once in a while I want a really close shave so I use my Thick Plate.

My Tech and New are languishing on the shelve. Actually I nick my self more with the New then I do with the old type.

You just need to practice with the old types to even out the harshness.

Thanks. Harsh is a good description if I don't pay 100% attention throughout the shave. I certainly wouldn't want a more aggressive razor than the 1912 - that's for sure!

I have both an old and new. I prefer the shaves from my 1905 Gillette over the new style. The old style gives me a very close shave that is comfortable.

All classic designs and as has already been said, you'll need to try each for yourself to truly get an accurate comparison. For me the Old type is what I've used for years and it's still my favourite by a fair margin, but the New Deluxe is an excellent shaver for me as well. The standard News, both SC and LC, are much milder for me - closer to an early Tech or Ranger. very comfortable shavers though, and I don't imagine you'll regret your purchase with any of them.

Top Bottom