What's new

New (vintage) DE convert.

Thanks (again) for the warm welcome ! One of the New (pun intended) razors has arrived today, and is in a much better shape than I thought. On pictures it was covered with black tarnish, and the bits I could see where brass. After cleaning it, I found out that about 70% is still covered with the original silver plating! I did shave this morning, so I'm going to find out tomorrow if it still useable.

Welcome! I'm just getting into vintage Gillettes as well. Among the many other reasons to try them, I think it's interesting to find out what led up to where we are today.

Have fun trying some new soaps. What's on your shortlist?

I think I will stick to proraso at first, seeing I don't have a conventional "sensitive skin" but cant handle heavy perfumes or chemicals in shaving soaps. I did try the palmolive cream, and got red rash instantly..

My plan is to first find a razor that I can use daily, 1 pass to get an acceptable shave. My hair being thick, reddish, and slightly curly it will probably be an "aggressive" one so I can do it in 1 pass.

Most Gillettes even the open combs are still on the mild side.
The adjustables can be opened a bit more.
A bit more efficient blade can make them more agressive.
Most people will do a two pass or three pass shave.
Proraso is ok but there is better stuff out there.

If you want real aggressive I think you will end up towards other brands.
Think of Some of the more aggressive torqued slants or with an open comb.
Some of the ac se razors are more effective too.

I like my Gilette super adjustable black beauty but it is outshaved by much older open comb Gillette’s (van opa en zijn vader) which are lawnmowers. and modern merkur futul or Parker adjustable give me a even better abelt less forgiving shave.

Still try to dial in those Gillette’s you have with a gillette silver blue as medium aggressive. You can always get more bite with a feather or Kai.

Top Bottom