What's new

New (vintage) DE convert.

Hello all,

After looking around for a while, decided to introduce myself. I'm fairly young, both in age as in knowledge.
As the title indicates, i'm a new "convert". Couldn't handle cartridges so never bothered to shave, always used a trimmer without a guard.
Have bought a 10 bucks safety razor in the past, cut up my face and never looked at the method again.

After looking online for a better way to shave, found that the DE razor popped up every time. Decided to give it a chance, bought a mühle synthetic brush, some proraso white and 2 vintage Gillette's. A TTO from the 1950's and an unstamped tech, it looks like a sportsman but isn't stamped with anything other than the big diamond logo on the topcap and a small one on the baseplate. Also just bought 2 more vintage 1920's razors, I believe a New Windsor and another New something. I'll add photos from the internet. They aren't in such a good shape as these, but for 40 euros (49 USD) incl. shipping i cant complain.

Attachments

• gillette 1.jpg
    gillette 1.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 25
  • Gillette 2.jpg
    Gillette 2.jpg
    378.8 KB · Views: 24
Hello all,

After looking around for a while, decided to introduce myself. I'm fairly young, both in age as in knowledge.
As the title indicates, i'm a new "convert". Couldn't handle cartridges so never bothered to shave, always used a trimmer without a guard.
Have bought a 10 bucks safety razor in the past, cut up my face and never looked at the method again.

After looking online for a better way to shave, found that the DE razor popped up every time. Decided to give it a chance, bought a mühle synthetic brush, some proraso white and 2 vintage Gillette's. A TTO from the 1950's and an unstamped tech, it looks like a sportsman but isn't stamped with anything other than the big diamond logo on the topcap and a small one on the baseplate. Also just bought 2 more vintage 1920's razors, I believe a New Windsor and another New something. I'll add photos from the internet. They aren't in such a good shape as these, but for 40 euros (49 USD) incl. shipping i cant complain.
Welcome to Badger & Blade and the wonderful world of wet shaving. Those old Gillette’s are hard to beat, but I think I would start with an open comb until I had my technique down. That takes several months of practice.

Before you open a tuck of blades, go read the Wiki. There is a lot of tried and true knowledge in there. There is no need for you to figure this out yourself.

Vintage Gillette's are great shavers. They are typically mild, seeking to appeal to everyone. I've got a pre-war Tech Fat Handle, a 1968 Superspeed, a 1972 Tech with an aluminum handle (Military supply NOS), a 1960 Fatboy, and a 1962 Slim Adjustable. They are all great shavers. Try an Astra Superior Platinum or a Gillette Silver Blue blade with them. Those two are middle of the sharpness road.

Welcome to Badger & Blade and the wonderful world of wet shaving. Those old Gillette’s are hard to beat, but I think I would start with an open comb until I had my technique down. That takes several months of practice.

Before you open a tuck of blades, go read the Wiki. There is a lot of tried and true knowledge in there. There is no need for you to figure this out yourself.

Thanks! I've been shaving with the TTO for about 2 months now, and already got allot of info from the wiki and different discussions. Not really sure if I want to try the open comb directly, but it never hurts to acquire them. :biggrin1:

Vintage Gillette's are great shavers. They are typically mild, seeking to appeal to everyone. I've got a pre-war Tech Fat Handle, a 1968 Superspeed, a 1972 Tech with an aluminum handle (Military supply NOS), a 1960 Fatboy, and a 1962 Slim Adjustable. They are all great shavers. Try an Astra Superior Platinum or a Gillette Silver Blue blade with them. Those two are middle of the sharpness road.

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go down the vintage route, but I'm glad I did! Also want to buy a at least an adjustable, I would love to try different settings in a single razor. As for the alu handle tech, mine's got that as well but has a brass? head. At least when I filed down a small burr, the material coloured brass/gold coloured.

Edit; I use the the Astra SS, and sometimes the infamous Derby extra. I've got some gillette blades in a white plastic container, but don't like those all that much.

Last edited:
Sounds like you’ve got a great start. You will like the vintage Gillette adjustables . I have a Fatboy, Slim and Black Beauty. You need to get a few other blades to test. Also a variety of soaps/creams. Then some good aftershaves, try several to find favorites. Then comes a couple more razors to see the differences.
In case you haven’t noticed, I have dug you into a rabbit hole. Good luck getting out. 🤪

Welcome, glad you found us! Vintage Gillettes are about as good as it gets. Also, when researching vintage Gillette's, you may find Mr. Razor An invaluable resource:

Mr. Razor

Or you can Google search by "mr razor tech" or whatever Gillette razor you're researching.

Enjoy the journey!!!!!

I enjoy my Rockwell and Henson and just ordered a Karve but nothing makes me smile quite like a vintage razor!! I, in particular, enjoy the open comb Gillette NEW.

Enjoy!

Welcome, glad you found us! Vintage Gillettes are about as good as it gets. Also, when researching vintage Gillette's, you may find Mr. Razor An invaluable resource:

Mr. Razor

Or you can Google search by "mr razor tech" or whatever Gillette razor you're researching.

Enjoy the journey!!!!!

I spend so much time on Mr. Razor that I think my wife might be jealous! Seriously, I'm there ALL THE TIME - and a large part of the reason I have 18 Gillettes at last count!

I enjoy my Rockwell and Henson and just ordered a Karve but nothing makes me smile quite like a vintage razor!! I, in particular, enjoy the open comb Gillette NEW.

Enjoy!

I spend so much time on Mr. Razor that I think my wife might be jealous! Seriously, I'm there ALL THE TIME - and a large part of the reason I have 18 Gillettes at last count!
I agree 1000% Having a vintage in your hands, knowing it's 60 - 110 years old, & wondering where it's been for those years, nothing like it! And that's not even taking into consideration the quality of shave you get from various vintage razors. The hunt for "the shave" is addicting!

Welcome! I'm just getting into vintage Gillettes as well. Among the many other reasons to try them, I think it's interesting to find out what led up to where we are today.

Have fun trying some new soaps. What's on your shortlist?

Welcome, BikingDutchman,

I began with a modern razor, a Merkur 23C. But I'd read about vintage Gillettes, probably here, and I took a chance on a 1962 Gillette Slim adjustable. It was my only razor for a couple of years, until I spread out with a Red Tip and others. When I think about it being almost 60 years old, and wonder who used it before me, who picked it up at $1.95 in the local drugstore in that long-dead America or received it as a Christmas gift, I'm amazed.

The Slim and I have been through some changes. For a time I was not as enamored of it and was actually not looking forward to using it when it came up in my rotation. I wondered if maybe I should put it away for a time. Then I tried clicking it up to a higher setting, and discovered great shaves with it again. My point is that we become attached to razors like any other tool we use on a regular basis and depend on.

Welcome to the club! Nothing wrong with Gilette de from the vintage period.
And there are many on marktplaats for cheap.
Want a more exclusive one. I have had my black beauty from Gert v Dompseler From a Dutch fb wet shaving group. He is a knowledgeable collector who also trades from time to time. Recommended!

Top Bottom