What's new

New to brush restoration, sure need advice!

Picked up the following brush from evil bay. Had seen it go unsold a couple of times previously and each time it caught my eye so I took the plunge.

Appears to be a nylon knot with a base metal handle with a coating. No identifying marks to suggest a make nor the metal .

Ideally would like to replace the knot and recoat the handle.

However, the knot is small at only 15mm diameter and I am struggling to find a source for a replacement.

Re-coating the handle by electroplating is both beyond my tools and skills!! Any ideas of another coating method or product please?

Would appreciate any thoughts and help please. Don't think your advice too simple, I've not attempted a restoration before but it really appeals to me. Thanks.

IMG_20180730_194448692.jpg IMG_20180730_194458183.jpg IMG_20180730_194516599.jpg IMG_20180730_194511633.jpg

Interesting project. I don't have a suggestion for refinishing the handle without plating it. It appears to be aluminum from the green corrosion. If it were me I would be considering stripping it (either acid dip or reverse plating), smoothing it out by sanding, and then buffing it out. In order to protect it, it will need something, at least a clear polyurethane coating.

I'm sure you can learn how to strip it with an internet search. Pool acid would do it but you had better learn how to handle it safely and how to keep from leaving it in too long. I would say just sand off the chrome, but chrome is very hard and would be difficult to break through.

Truly the best finish for it would be something electroplated. Chrome, Nickle, or anodize. It would be worth taking to a plater about.

It looks like there is room to open up the hole to accept a larger knot. I would guess that an 18 mm would fit, and those are much easier to find. With what it will take to prep the handle, don't go cheap on the knot. You can find an 18 mm finest or silvertip for a very reasonable price.

There are many here that have restored aluminum handles that may have better insight on how to handle this. Most of those were not chrome plated though. I think that you will end up with a beautiful brush.

Top Bottom