What's new

New to B&B

Hi,

I wanted to check-in here since I'm new to B&B. My brother introduced me straight razor shaving around January of this year. It took a bit of time to get the technique down, but I'd have to say having a properly honed razor is a key element of a good shave. Which bring me to my next point, you don't know what you don't know until someone shows you.

I thought I knew what a shaper razor was until I touched properly honed razor.

Now I'm learning the honing process too. I've bought some razors from ebay and antique stores to shave with. I liked being able to maintain my equipment so I started out with a Norton 220/1000 and 4000/8000 and I'm waiting on shaptom M5 12000.

The strange thing is if you asked me about straight razors this time last year really was unaware of them. I new of them but had no interest. Now there is not turning back. I'm all in.

- Mike

Welcome to B&B, and it's an addicting and rewarding experience. Hard to believe that "old school" shaving is actually better (IMHO) than a disposable.
So much for technology...:lol:
In all seriousness... I actually enjoy shaving now...the prep...the shave...the aroma of a nice soap...the aftershave...all of it.
I have only been at this since July...and after keeping an eye on the BST portion of the forum... reading all the great instruction's regarding technique...and making good choices at the recommendations of the gang here...have put together a nice collection of straights, and strops...that will keep me going for the rest of my life.:thumbup1:
Enjoy the ride, and again...welcome to the forum.:thumbup:
proxy.php

Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm trying to keep my collection in check. It's tough. The nice thing though is I shared my interest with a few friends who keep their eye open when at an antique mall or other such store.

- Mike

Hi,

Thanks for the warm welcome. I'm trying to keep my collection in check. It's tough. The nice thing though is I shared my interest with a few friends who keep their eye open when at an antique mall or other such store.

- Mike

Good luck with the whole "trying to keep my collection in check!":lol: I actually have found that my various "AD's" largely went away once I found the gear that worked for me. Saying that, I suspect that a relapse could happen.

Enjoy the ride.

Hi,

I wanted to check-in here since I'm new to B&B. My brother introduced me straight razor shaving around January of this year. It took a bit of time to get the technique down, but I'd have to say having a properly honed razor is a key element of a good shave. Which bring me to my next point, you don't know what you don't know until someone shows you.

I thought I knew what a shaper razor was until I touched properly honed razor.

Now I'm learning the honing process too. I've bought some razors from ebay and antique stores to shave with. I liked being able to maintain my equipment so I started out with a Norton 220/1000 and 4000/8000 and I'm waiting on shaptom M5 12000.

The strange thing is if you asked me about straight razors this time last year really was unaware of them. I new of them but had no interest. Now there is not turning back. I'm all in.

- Mike

Welcome to B&B Mike!
I agree... that straight razor shaving is rather consuming..
right on for learning to hone, I'm much the same way, liking to maintain my own razors
funny how a sharp blade held to the face can be so alluring. :thumbup1:

Welcome to B&B Mike!
I agree... that straight razor shaving is rather consuming..
right on for learning to hone, I'm much the same way, liking to maintain my own razors
funny how a sharp blade held to the face can be so alluring. :thumbup1:

Hi,

Thanks. It does have appeal. As common as it was 100 years ago, I like the reaction you get from people when it comes up in conversation. Maybe I'm still so new to this I like to talk about straight razors still.

- Mike

Top Bottom