What's new

New Tallow & Steels

Old soap:
Stearic Acid, Tallow (from local, pasture-raised, 100% grass-fed cattle), Water, Potassium Hydroxide, Sodium Hydroxide, Organic Castor Oil, Organic Glycerin, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Lanolin, Silk, Essential Oils, Vitamin E

New Soap:
Stearic Acid, Water, Organic Glycerin, Potassium Hydroxide, Tallow (Pasture-Raised), Essential Oils, Organic Argan Oil, Organic Pomegranate Seed Oil, Organic Macadamia Nut Oil, Organic Coconut Oil, Organic Avocado Oil, Organic Castor Oil, Bentonite Clay, Organic Tamanu Oil, Vitamin E, Silk

One thing I see is essential oil has moved pretty far up the list. I don't know if that will necessarily mean a stronger scent, but as someone who loves a strongly scented soap I wouldn't complain.

They changed the balance of the fats/oils, and added new scents. I picked up a bunch of the 'Canada 150 scent', but I've heard the secondary notes of maple and whiskey aren't easy to smell, and it basically smells like pine and cedar. I'll find out next week!

So far the new scents are missing the mark a bit for me. The rose doesn't do much to stand out in Morocco. The West Indies is described as a "warm citrus", but the orange/coconut is really mostly hiding behind the bay & vetiver. Of the 3 I have, Maya is the closest to matching the description, as the spiced chocolate & coffee works nicely. If you ever tried Dark from their previous line, it's a bit similar but with the mint removed and replaced with a somewhat heavy spice.

Most disappointing to me was the Morocco, as I really hoped the rose would stand out more against the wood notes. I read the rose is more prominent in the aftershave, but at this point I haven't sampled any of the aftershaves to confirm.

I have the Morocco and the Boreal. The new scents have been disappointing for me also. Morocco gives me a straight cedar/oakmoss scent. No rose at all. The Boreal is a strong tangy/tart, fir/cedar resin scent to me. Smells like sap from a tree. It calms down a bit when lathering. Neither impresses me. There's no underlying notes to speak of. I don't get top or bottom notes. Just straight scents that aren't all that interesting. The new base seems very good. Not good enough to make me want to try any more of the new scents though.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
...The West Indies is described as a "warm citrus", but the orange/coconut is really mostly hiding behind the bay & vetiver...

Hmmmmm...I've got a tin of the West Indies on the way. I was intrigued by the orange coconut description...

That's disappointing about Morocco, I bought that with the 150 and should have it today.

I'd be interested in hearing your thoughts on both of them. 150 was out of my reach living in the US. As for Morocco, I thought maybe it was just me but that seems not to be the case. I wonder if it has something to do with the soap base that is muting what should be vibrant scents.

Hmmmmm...I've got a tin of the West Indies on the way. I was intrigued by the orange coconut description...

That was the reason I went for it. Probably blasphemy to some members, but I'm not a big fan of bay-forward scents. Perhaps the soap would better be described as a spiced bay rum with a mellow citrus backdrop. For the lovers of bay rums, that might actually be quite appealing.

Can someone who purchased the 150 describe scent and performance? Could not purchase due to living in the U.S.A but man the description sounded awesome... maple syrup, coffee, whiskey, and castoreum. Would have been nice to purchase a soap at least.

I'm surprised that nobody has really commented on the performance of the soap. On other forums I'm seeing "the very best performing soap every made" type of comments. I got to be a part of the testing process on this one and it's a truly outstanding performer. Slickness and moisturizing are incredible. Likely the very best performing soap I've encountered thus far.

Scent wise we're not all going to like the same things so some scents some people love others will dislike and vice versa.
I'll share some thoughts when my order arrives.

I'm surprised that nobody has really commented on the performance of the soap. On other forums I'm seeing "the very best performing soap every made" type of comments. I got to be a part of the testing process on this one and it's a truly outstanding performer. Slickness and moisturizing are incredible. Likely the very best performing soap I've encountered thus far.

Scent wise we're not all going to like the same things so some scents some people love others will dislike and vice versa.

I'm stilling waiting on mine... who'd of thought express one day shipping from Winnipeg to Calgary would take almost a week, I ordered stuff from the US right after I placed my T&S order and those product arrived today. I haven't seen many reviews on this stuff, but probably the many of us who brought it from T&S directly didn't have our shipments out till late Thursday which missed that flight out and got passed over to Friday nights flight out so for many it's still in the shipping stage.

The new base is fantastic. Loads easily and is slicker than the old base. Post shave feel is great. Skin is moisturized and doesn't feel like you just scraped a sharp piece of steel across your face. Definitely the best post-shave feel I've ever encountered.

I have to remember that this is a new soap. If the old base was (for me) a 8.5, the new base is a 10. I'm still disappointed in the two scents I've tried though. For me the old scents were a 10. I'd give these about a 7. I'm sure it has to do with the new base and the way it handles the essential oils. I said before I wouldn't try another scent, but that's probably a lie. The scent profile is just different in the new soap. Some folks will love the new scent profiles. I can't imagine anybody having a problem with the performance. It's a great performer. I'm a Tallow & Steel fanboy. I hope my comments on the scents won't discourage anyone from trying the soap.

I was really looking forward to this new soap but man this shipping situation is a pain. Got off the phone with Canada post and the wrong postal code was put on the label causing them to not deliever it, Canada post said at this point it may be heading back to the sender, even though I gave them the correct address and I offered to go pick it up. What a joke, I order stuff all the time and never had this happen. Will ask for a refund if it's sent back and just move on.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

I have some on the way. As always, candid comments will be shared

I was really looking forward to this new soap but man this shipping situation is a pain. Got off the phone with Canada post and the wrong postal code was put on the label causing them to not deliever it, Canada post said at this point it may be heading back to the sender, even though I gave them the correct address and I offered to go pick it up. What a joke, I order stuff all the time and never had this happen. Will ask for a refund if it's sent back and just move on.

To me it's not a big deal if it takes a little while to get to me. After all it is coming from another country so there's customs involved and all of the joys that go along with that. I've waited longer for items I've really wanted before so this is nothing new. It's not like I don't have a lot of other really great soaps to use while I wait.

shavefan

I’m not a fan

Yikes! Sorry to hear that. I have some on the way but no tracking. I have faith it will get here. Ordered mid last week...

Sniffed them today. Liked Himalayas the best. As for the others, I wonder if there is a significant scent difference lathered.

Top Bottom