What's new

New Ss alpha/executive shaving outlaw razor

Has anybody got the new Ss outlaw razor from alpha/exec shaving.
I have the old standard outlaw and used the new one for the first time yesterday. They have tweaked it slightly. Am only one shave in but it feels just as efficient but a lot smoother.
Just wondering if anybody else who has the old one has got the new one and what their thoughts are on it?

I am very interested to know. Have they sorted out the size of the blade retention posts so that the alignment is always straight and the blade exposure is always even?

I have the standard Outlaw too and I love the shave, but I don't use it much because whenever I load a new blade it takes multiple attempts at tightening down the razor to get a correct blade alignment.

Getting equal exposure on both sides is even more of a challenge. Because of the covered tabs, you can't make manual adjustments, so the only option is to unscrew the razor and try again. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to load the thing to my satisfaction. It seems worse with some blades than others - I have given up trying to use Feathers in it!

More blade clamping surface is fine and dandy, but this is an aspect of the design that desperately needed fixing.

Yes they have made the posts bigger so the blade aligns with no issue.
The 2nd and 4th photo are the new outlaw

Attachments

• IMG_0164.jpeg
    IMG_0164.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0165.jpeg
    IMG_0165.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0166.jpeg
    IMG_0166.jpeg
    579.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0167.jpeg
    IMG_0167.jpeg
    466.6 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0168.jpeg
    IMG_0168.jpeg
    417.2 KB · Views: 111
Thank you for the comparison shots - that does look like a big improvement.

I shan't buy the new version because I feel like I got burned on the first one. I should have returned it when I first became aware of the problem, but I vacillated and used other razors until it was too late to reasonably do so. Still, I am glad those that were prepared to take the risk on the new version got a decent razor as a result!

Last edited:
I should add, with the old one, removing and replacing the handle 10+ times until you get lucky is not actually the only solution. Slacking off the tension a little and prodding the blade with a thumbnail is another solution. With a bit of poking, checking, poking some more, etc. an acceptable result can be achieved fairly quickly, although I would ideally prefer the edges of my blades to remain untouched until I actually shave with them. Anyway, all is well with the new razor, so that's good.

Thanks Buckster please can I ask how you are getting on with the new Outlaw after a month? Any more observations positive or negative? With the improvements its near the top of my RAD wishlist. I am only buying stainless razors now and am selling down my chrome and rhodium collection. What does the new Outlaw offer that makes it different to the EJ 3one6, Feather AS-D2 etc?

Exec shaving confirmed they have sold out of Outlaw v1 (inc the mild version) so I just placed my order for a v2 with standard length handle. I used the 10% off new customer code and they told me that if I bought another Exec Shaving branded item and the total after discount was at least 100 GBP then I would get an extra 10 GBP of points under their reward scheme so I added their water soluble shave oil to try (maybe I can stop using Swarfega to clean my oily hands) and the order came to 105 GBP but with the account signup bonuses and if I leave 2 reviews then over 30 GBP of points to use towards future order(s) so overall a pretty good deal. I might use the points to get a spare Muhle porcelain blade bank as they are very nice and I'd be sad if mine ever broke.

My new Outlaw arrived and was so shiny that I thought for a moment they had sent me the wrong thing.

With a bit more research I don't think I was correct to call it the v2 above as there seems to have been an earlier version called the v2 a few years ago. Alpha are calling it the Outlaw Evolution so I guess I will call it that despite Exec Shaving not using that name.

It seems well made, nicely finished and I didn't have any blade alignment issues. The box could have been made out of thicker card for those of us who keep the packaging. Although it has less blade exposure than my EJ 3one6 the extra weight gives a similar level of aggression. The handle is one of the most grippy I have encountered.

A nice addition to my stainless collection - have now listed the last of my modern chrome razors on ebay. They served a purpose giving me a cheap entry point into this hobby but don't offer the precision and durability I am now looking for.

outlaw.jpg

I received the second generation Executive Shaving Outlaw razor October 10th, 2023. I have thick wiry whiskers. This razor is the best. No alignment issues with various razor blades. A .72 blade gap would normally be a very mild razor for me, but the Outlaw is medium aggressive (a great engineering feat) and this is a a super smooth razor. Except for the chin area, with a good quality razor blade, I do not know that I have a razor blade in the razor. This razor is ultra, ultra smooth. I will match the Outlaw against any razor in the world!!!!!

It's probably a combination of the shape and weight that's causing us to find it more aggressive than the blade gap would suggest.
Yesterday I was using an Astra SP and it was too aggressive for my taste (am finding that with the 3one6 now too) so today I tried a Silver Star and it felt unexpectedly rough. I was in a hurry to get the kids up and to school so didn't have time to diagnose the problem but I didn't want to continue so did the second pass with a Feather AS-D2 as a sure mild thing.
Hopefully it's just learning the right technique for the head shape. It reminds me of the R89/DE89 but without the curved bottom but I was fine with those. I remember when I got the Feather I was so unimpressed that I sold it - this is my second one and have learnt to love it.
Chatting to the guys at Exec Shaving before buying it they told me they used Tiger blades so I will fish a tuck out my stash and try tomorrow.

mcee_sharp

MCEAPWINMOLQOVTIAAWHAMARTHAEHOAIDIAMRHDAE
My new Outlaw arrived and was so shiny that I thought for a moment they had sent me the wrong thing.

With a bit more research I don't think I was correct to call it the v2 above as there seems to have been an earlier version called the v2 a few years ago. Alpha are calling it the Outlaw Evolution so I guess I will call it that despite Exec Shaving not using that name.

It seems well made, nicely finished and I didn't have any blade alignment issues. The box could have been made out of thicker card for those of us who keep the packaging. Although it has less blade exposure than my EJ 3one6 the extra weight gives a similar level of aggression. The handle is one of the most grippy I have encountered.

A nice addition to my stainless collection - have now listed the last of my modern chrome razors on ebay. They served a purpose giving me a cheap entry point into this hobby but don't offer the precision and durability I am now looking for.

View attachment 1751397
I love the look of that handle, it's like 2 x (Super-knurl)^2

I tried it with a Tiger blade today and also remembered that old geofatboy video about finding the right angle for a razor which caused me to shave at a circa 45 degree angle and it gave me a great shave.

Like @Felix G I have the original and have never experienced blade alignment issues. Maybe I received one after the initial batch and this was fixed? Hmmm....don't know.

Thank you for the comparison shots - that does look like a big improvement.

I shan't buy the new version because I feel like I got burned on the first one. I should have returned it when I first became aware of the problem, but I vacillated and used other razors until it was too late to reasonably do so. Still, I am glad those that were prepared to take the risk on the new version got a decent razor as a result!
Same here. My Outlaw had blade alignment issues. I contacted the owner (forget his name now) and he said that was normal. We’ll, it’s not normal to me and my other razors so I sold it off never to get anything else from Alpha. Not impressed.

Same here. My Outlaw had blade alignment issues. I contacted the owner (forget his name now) and he said that was normal. We’ll, it’s not normal to me and my other razors so I sold it off never to get anything else from Alpha. Not impressed.

Yup, as someone who is usually a 1 or 2 shaves per blade guy, I spent more time messing about with the alignment than I did shaving. Completely impractical.

I have thought about selling mine, but with the well documented issues I suspect the resale value isn't great. Plus, I really like the handle.

Yup, as someone who is usually a 1 or 2 shaves per blade guy, I spent more time messing about with the alignment than I did shaving. Completely impractical.

I have thought about selling mine, but with the well documented issues I suspect the resale value isn't great. Plus, I really like the handle.
The Outlaw was a decent shaver…the handle is nice, but I can’t put up with poor quality and blade alignment issues. So many better razors out there for me anyway. Hope he got the new razor straightened out.

Well I got a few great shaves out of the new Oulaw but they just weren't as easy or consistent as my EJ 3one6 or PAA Meta-4 so I didn't see the point of keeping it. I just sold it and got most of the list price back. Infact even after fees I made a small gain given I bought it with a discount code and earned a lot of reward points at Exec Shaving. The reward points were the best bit as I unexpectedly found that their moisturising + skin nourishing tins of shaving creams are great. Their water soluble preshave oil is also fairly good. I came for the hardware but will be back for the software.

The reward points were the best bit as I unexpectedly found that their moisturising + skin nourishing tins of shaving creams are great. Their water soluble preshave oil is also fairly good. I came for the hardware but will be back for the software.

I don't use balms / moisturisers much because my reactive skin doesn't seem to get on with them, but I have a tube of ES unscented balm for those rare instances when I do feel something is needed. I don't have a huge basis for comparison, but it knocks spots off some of the other cheap balms I have tried. Their stuff tends to be expensive, but it is good quality in my experience.

I am very interested to know. Have they sorted out the size of the blade retention posts so that the alignment is always straight and the blade exposure is always even?

I have the standard Outlaw too and I love the shave, but I don't use it much because whenever I load a new blade it takes multiple attempts at tightening down the razor to get a correct blade alignment.

Getting equal exposure on both sides is even more of a challenge. Because of the covered tabs, you can't make manual adjustments, so the only option is to unscrew the razor and try again. Sometimes it takes me 10 minutes to load the thing to my satisfaction. It seems worse with some blades than others - I have given up trying to use Feathers in it!

More blade clamping surface is fine and dandy, but this is an aspect of the design that desperately needed fixing.
There are no more blade alignment challenges. The blade posts and blade post holes have been optimised and tested with about 40 different blades.

Top Bottom