What's new

New Simpsons 2 Banded Supers!

What's different about two-band brushes is that the hair is stouter and stiffer than those in three-band types, and - perhaps most significantly - two-band hair is much, much rarer and harder to come by. That alone is going to up the "gotta have it" factor for a lot of people. Having said that, there are those, like myself, who genuinely prefer two-band hair, irrespective of its elitist appeal. Back when two-band brushes were relatively plentiful, and obtaining them was merely a matter of paying for them, I decided I genuinely preferred two-band brushes after trying them toe-to-toe with some outstanding three-band brushes. All things being equal (e.g., same loft, same knot thickness and density, same crown shape, etc.), a two-band brush will be stiffer and will not splay out as much as a three-band version of the same brush, thus holding its shape better and remaining more compact on the face. A two-band brush is also more resilient, and has a more "muscular" feel on the face. Some people would describe this quality is a "scrubby" or "scratchy" feel. I personally do not find my better two-band brushes to be scratchy. The trade off is that two-band brushes often don't feel as soft or luxurious as the best, softest three-band brushes. For me, the trade-off is a worthwhile one, as I don't like brushes that splay out and have a softer, mop-like feel. While I could live my life just fine using the better three-band brushes in my collection, I prefer my two-bands, and would seek to replace them ahead of my three-band brushes. Whether or not two-band brushes are better for use with different lathering agents (i.e., creams versus soaps) is subjective. Generally speaking, I find I can get equal quality lathers using both three-band and two-band brushes on both creams and soaps. Some people might assert that a stiffer brush might work better with soaps, whereas softer brushes seem to be better for creams. But I have not personally found this to be true. The more significant variables that affect lather quality are, in my opinion, crown size and knot density, rather than the hair itself.

Well said, I might add the massage/ exfoliating feeing of 2 banded in the face which in my opinion improves circulation while shaving.

After such good description i feel like i need one...
anybody knows if some are still available in some place?

thanks

I just got one in today. Called Lee a couple of days ago and he found a PJ2 in two band that was sitting with the three bands. Awesome brush.

Guess I got the last one.

Maybe diamond edge got a few brushes too.

I believe you can still get this kind of hair with Rooney (Finest) and Plisson (HMW). These will be top end brushes and you'll pay some very good coin for them. But if you can't find 2 band Simpsons it is an option.

I believe you can still get this kind of hair with Rooney (Finest) and Plisson (HMW). These will be top end brushes and you'll pay some very good coin for them. But if you can't find 2 band Simpsons it is an option.

These days there are far more three-band Plisson HMW brushes than there are two-band, it seems. Unfortunately, Plisson is not above diluting their top grade. If you can find a two-band HMW, though, you won't be sorry you got it; they are excellent brushes. Rooney appears to have a pretty strict standard with their Finest, from what I understand. I've only ever heard of it being two-band. If they can't come up with two-band hair, they don't make any Finest grade brushes. But in the end, caveat emptor. Don't take anybody's word for it except a trusted vendor who has a two-band brush in stock and promises that will be the one you receive.

These days there are far more three-band Plisson HMW brushes than there are two-band, it seems. Unfortunately, Plisson is not above diluting their top grade. If you can find a two-band HMW, though, you won't be sorry you got it; they are excellent brushes. Rooney appears to have a pretty strict standard with their Finest, from what I understand. I've only ever heard of it being two-band. If they can't come up with two-band hair, they don't make any Finest grade brushes. But in the end, caveat emptor. Don't take anybody's word for it except a trusted vendor who has a two-band brush in stock and promises that will be the one you receive.

Checking with the vendor is an excellent suggestion. The Pre-Vulfix Simpson Super's were pretty variable - 2 and 3 band.

You got that straight. I find it interesting that Vulfix now actually hand writes "Two Band" on the box - a pretty telling indication that the Super grade in no way inherently means it's two-band.

Vulfix "hand writes" it on the box? There's some irony in that - How Simspons-like. :lol:

How about the 2 banded finest brushes that penworks has for sale?

What is Penworks source for the 2-band hair?

I haven't tried Penworks knots. A lot of folks on B&B like his brushes/knots. I would be cautious when trying to get the real, holy grail 2-band hair. You need to hear from someone that has a 2-band Simpsons/Rooney/Plisson and compared it to the Penworks 2-band knot. I would be interested in hearing such a comparison myself. :drool:

From the pictures, the name brand 2 band knots have pure white tips with a darker base. Penworks knots look like they have darker tips with a lighter base. Probably not a true 2 band or type of 2 band in the context of this conversation. I was just wondering what others thought of these knots. I have a Penworks 2 band on order. For the price its hard to go wrong.

All of those interested in the 2 band Simpsons should contact Vulfix directly via their website.
In 3 days to USA, I received a T2, PJ2 and CH2 this past Friday. Brett gives exceptional service and is quick to communicate.
Early last week he also had 2 band Polo 10s available.
These are exceptional brushes and wish all well in their persuit.
Ron

What do think a PJ3 would run? BAD is kicking in. I have a couple of brushes and would like to try the 2 banded but I like a 24MM size.
Lees Razor site is down, think we might have crashed it?

Thanks,
Richard

All of those interested in the 2 band Simpsons should contact Vulfix directly via their website.
In 3 days to USA, I received a T2, PJ2 and CH2 this past Friday. Brett gives exceptional service and is quick to communicate.
Early last week he also had 2 band Polo 10s available.
These are exceptional brushes and wish all well in their persuit.
Ron

Thanks for the info.

I contacted Brett at vulfix, the price he offered was about $245 for a CH2 2 band, which is slightly more than Lee's ($215) and WCS ($220)-10%.

Last edited:
I talked to Lee today and he is going to post a sign up sheet in a couple or three weeks for the 2 banded beauties! :frown: Damn, Probably should not have let the cat out of the bag!:lol:

Heck of a nice guy!

Richard

I talked to Lee today and he is going to post a sign up sheet in a couple or three weeks for the 2 banded beauties! :frown: Damn, Probably should not have let the cat out of the bag!:lol:

Heck of a nice guy!

Richard

Well that's a pretty good news! Hope i won't miss this one.
Thanks for all the informations

Top Bottom