What's new

New Simpsons 2 Banded Supers!

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ordered it yesterday...and recieved it today

Pretty firm brush...nice white tips...Im stoked to use it.

I would definitley say that I made a great purchase

Picture as promised. This is after I have used it 3 times. This is a real beauty!!!

proxy.php

Gorgeous. The simpfix handles look a little different than the prefix ones...but that knot is just beautiful. Congrats on a great brush!

Vulfix has never been able, or willing, to make the handles of the small Tulip or Persian Jars as curvey as on the Simpsons originals. But it looks like they got the hair right. Very nice.

Last edited:
Vulfix has never been able, or willing, to make the handles of the small Tulip or Persian Jars as curvey as on the Simpsons originals. But it looks like they got the hair right. Very nice.

Actually, Simpson stopped making them as curvey as the originals years ago. The Vulfix models use the same profile as Simpson was last using.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well, my first shave with the Tulip 2 is officially in the book.

I have brushes from all the major makers...Simpson/Rooney/Shavemac/Kent/Plisson...with various grades of hair from Best to Finest.

I have always thought my two band Rooney Finest brushes to be the Bees Knees, that is until today.

I want to say that this brush is just as good, if not better than the Finest grade. It has a great deal of backbone, but the tips are so soft. The brush was far from floppy, but you didnt feel like you were scrubbing your face. The lather was applied effortlessly.

If these brushes ever come up for sale again, I HIGHLY recommend picking one up. This is of course only my opinion, but when you find something this good, you want to shout from the rooftops.

Has anyone used the PJ2 yet? I'd be interested in any comments about it as I have one coming, Thanks

Well, my first shave with the Tulip 2 is officially in the book.

I have brushes from all the major makers...Simpson/Rooney/Shavemac/Kent/Plisson...with various grades of hair from Best to Finest.

I have always thought my two band Rooney Finest brushes to be the Bees Knees, that is until today.

I want to say that this brush is just as good, if not better than the Finest grade. It has a great deal of backbone, but the tips are so soft. The brush was far from floppy, but you didnt feel like you were scrubbing your face. The lather was applied effortlessly.

If these brushes ever come up for sale again, I HIGHLY recommend picking one up. This is of course only my opinion, but when you find something this good, you want to shout from the rooftops.

I've said it many times before: the two band super badger of Simpsons/Vulfix is the most desirable badger on this planet...i prefer it before Rooneys finest or even Plissons HMW.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
I've said it many times before: the two band super badger of Simpsons/Vulfix is the most desirable badger on this planet...i prefer it before Rooneys finest or even Plissons HMW.

After experiencing the Simpson/Vulfix two band, I really have to agree with you. It actually has white tips. Its whiter than the Rooney's tips.

I really dont need a Chubby 2...but darnit...these brushes are beautiful. Hopefully they come back into stock. Already have a PJ2...and find I dont really use it.

Isaac, I am debating the same thing. I really want the CH2 and if they made a PL8 I would really think about selling my current one and buying the two band version.

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Isaac, I am debating the same thing. I really want the CH2 and if they made a PL8 I would really think about selling my current one and buying the two band version.

I would definitely sell off my PL8 if they did that. I however cant sell any of my old CH's as they are all original simpsons.

Luckily I have Dukes 1-3/Chubbies 1-3 and a few others that were pre Vulfix. Great brushes mind you..but would never part with them :)

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Well....I almost tempted fate. I couldnt resist and tried to purchase one of the two band Ch2's. I had noticed that Lee had seemed to drop his prices on the Simpson line so I figured what the heck. Well...Lee informed me that he did indeed have one more CH2, but that it didnt pass his inspection and was going back to the factory. Im glad he spared me the pain of giving up some money..haha.

Maybe ill do a WTB Manchurian thread :p

Well....I almost tempted fate. I couldnt resist and tried to purchase one of the two band Ch2's. I had noticed that Lee had seemed to drop his prices on the Simpson line so I figured what the heck. Well...Lee informed me that he did indeed have one more CH2, but that it didnt pass his inspection and was going back to the factory. Im glad he spared me the pain of giving up some money..haha.

Maybe ill do a WTB Manchurian thread :p

Did he say when they are to return? Also how much was it?

What would be the best use for these two banded brushes, are they good with either soap or cream or are they more dedicated soap/face lathering brushes?
Does it just depend on loft and density of each model?

What would be the best use for these two banded brushes, are they good with either soap or cream or are they more dedicated soap/face lathering brushes?
Does it just depend on loft and density of each model?

A two-band brush will work for whatever you want to use it for. The question is less about what it is good for, but about what you generally prefer to feel on your face. Three-band tends to be softer and thus more "luxurious," whereas two-band tends to be stiffer, and therefore is more "muscular."

For anyone interested in 2-bands, I just received an e-mail from the Gentlemans Shop, telling me they have a limited batch of Chubby 2, Tulip 2 and Persian Jar 2. I passed the offer, so maybe someone else can grab one.

For anyone interested in 2-bands, I just received an e-mail from the Gentlemans Shop, telling me they have a limited batch of Chubby 2, Tulip 2 and Persian Jar 2. I passed the offer, so maybe someone else can grab one.

Hello, the word is "limited", please email me to check stock availability before placing an order as do not wish to have any dissapointed customers.

Regards, Robert

These brushes sold within hours at The Gentleman's Shop so ive missed out but I was in no rush anyway tbh.

I use a Simpsons T2 Super with my creams & CH2 Best with my soaps.

Whats so special/different about these two banded brushes?. Can you use them with creams "and" soaps or are they more suited to one or the other?.

Regards,

Martin.

Whats so special/different about these two banded brushes?. Can you use them with creams "and" soaps or are they more suited to one or the other?.

What's different about two-band brushes is that the hair is stouter and stiffer than those in three-band types, and - perhaps most significantly - two-band hair is much, much rarer and harder to come by. That alone is going to up the "gotta have it" factor for a lot of people. Having said that, there are those, like myself, who genuinely prefer two-band hair, irrespective of its elitist appeal. Back when two-band brushes were relatively plentiful, and obtaining them was merely a matter of paying for them, I decided I genuinely preferred two-band brushes after trying them toe-to-toe with some outstanding three-band brushes. All things being equal (e.g., same loft, same knot thickness and density, same crown shape, etc.), a two-band brush will be stiffer and will not splay out as much as a three-band version of the same brush, thus holding its shape better and remaining more compact on the face. A two-band brush is also more resilient, and has a more "muscular" feel on the face. Some people would describe this quality is a "scrubby" or "scratchy" feel. I personally do not find my better two-band brushes to be scratchy. The trade off is that two-band brushes often don't feel as soft or luxurious as the best, softest three-band brushes. For me, the trade-off is a worthwhile one, as I don't like brushes that splay out and have a softer, mop-like feel. While I could live my life just fine using the better three-band brushes in my collection, I prefer my two-bands, and would seek to replace them ahead of my three-band brushes. Whether or not two-band brushes are better for use with different lathering agents (i.e., creams versus soaps) is subjective. Generally speaking, I find I can get equal quality lathers using both three-band and two-band brushes on both creams and soaps. Some people might assert that a stiffer brush might work better with soaps, whereas softer brushes seem to be better for creams. But I have not personally found this to be true. The more significant variables that affect lather quality are, in my opinion, crown size and knot density, rather than the hair itself.

Top Bottom