What's new

New Shavemac D01

I used the Shavemac configurator tool to build a new brush:
Hair grade - D01
Knot shape - Bulb
Knot size - 26mm
Knot loft - 50mm
Handle - Imitation horn

I had read here that the shape, loft and grade could result in a somewhat punishing head as the D01 is very firm and not forgiving. This is all true. It is a very scrubby brush with a small amount of scritch. For most people I would recommend a higher loft and different bulb shape. However I like very firm brushes and when this is broken in I expect it to be just right. I have a 2-band Simpson Tulip 2 with a similar loft and it has relaxed significantly over the years. Hopefully the Shavemac stays a little more firm than the Simpson after break in.

For my first shave I used Mitchell's Wool Fat. The Shavemac tore into that soap. I face lathered and was surprised by just how dense this brush is. I had gobs of lather flying off my face onto the floor because the brush wasn't expanding enough to hold it. I've never had that happen before. I was still able to get three good passes out of the brush. So far I like it. I have a feeling I'll love it as it loosens up over time.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Rudy Vey

Shaving baby skin and turkey necks
Agree on a slightly higher loft. For D01 brushes, I recommend only a ratio of 1:2 (or a tad below) for the fan shaped knots. For the bulb, one is better off with a higher loft, so for 26 mm I would go with 54 mm loft. Makes the knot also look less pointy.

What a gorgeous brush and that's some great looking lather from MWF as well. 9 times out of 10 when someone shares lather from MWF, it's airy and dry. I've always found the fat is capable of sharing a proper hydrated lather. Thanks for sharing!

I prefer white Synthetic Bristle, I don't like Badger style of synth (like my Simpson CH2 Synth...)Badger is Badger, a synt fiber another thing...

I have the same knot but it's 23 x 50. It has been a tough nut to crack getting it to loosen up but it will dig lather out of a rock. Mine seems far from broken in but it is making progress.

Nice

I have the following D01 on order

24x48 D01
Black and brown handle
Fan shape

How long to receive?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I'd love to see a pic of that.

Mine took two weeks from date of order. I live in the US and it required a signature for delivery, so plan for that. I had it dropped off at a Walgreens with a Fed Ex pickup so I could get it after work.

This brush has relaxed a bit after a few uses and has moved to a quite enjoyable amount of firmness. While I had started to second guess my choices in shape and loft, I am now very excited about shaving with this brush. It is destroying my hard soaps and lathering up with ease.

I greatly prefer face lathering because I enjoy the experience of massaging my face with a good brush. This does just that, and it does it well.

Top Bottom