What's new

New Rooney 1/1 in super

Hi all,
My Rooney 1/1 in super arrived last week from classicshaving.
First shave with it was with Tabac soap, the second with a sample of Mühle Aloe Vera I just received.
Both shaves were very nice, and I really like the firm bristles, however I can't seem to get as thick a lather as I used to from my Mühle.
Any advice from Rooney users?I know it has a break-in period, so I'm patient.

Do wait for the break in you're right. Rooney's are so dense though, they seem to want to hang onto much of that lather. Using more soap can help this. I know it seems silly to have to use more product because of the brush, but since soap lasts SO long you'll hardly notice.

Also, it will improve in a week or so of use. You'd be amazed how much lather is hidden in the hairs if you squeeze the brush. Sometimes I gentle squeeze the lather out into my bowl.

Since the brush is shorter and the knot is denser it will take a bit longer to incorporate air. Beat a bit longer and you will get the lather that you want.

Give it a few weeks to break in. I have a Chubby 2 that is a super-dense monster of a brush. I had the same problem with lather retention. Now lather flows out of the brush like crazy. Also try loading the brush with more soap than you think is necessary.

Loading with more soap should do the trick. I had (have?) the same with my new Chubby 1. I actually made a few lathers after shaving today, just to get my technique right. A bit of a waste of soap, of course, but I won't finish these pucks any time soon anyway.

Thanks for the advices. I will experiment with more soap or cream and will swirl a bit more than used to.

I will report back in a week or so.

I got a 1/1 heritage in super as others mentioned it took at least a week maybe 2 before it was broke in, also you didn't mention it but I assume you are face lathering with it, if not that is where this brush excels I was never a face latherer before but now it is my go to routine and brush most of the time.

I just got a new 3/1 super & I forgot how poor these brushes seem when brand new!

I keep wanting to use my BK4 but I suppose I'd better stick with the Rooney. I face lather and like the other members with similar experisnces, I CANNOT get a thick lather as yet. Time will tell.

Also, just an observation, but my new 3/1 does not seem as stiff as my 1/2. Despiteit's shorter loft. Anyone else experience this?

In addition to trying more soap -- also try adding more water a couple drops at a time -- I found this to really help at the beginning.

Congrats!

J

One thing that I've done with my 1/1 is bowl lather it a few times a day during the first few days that I have it, in order to break it in. It goes a lot faster if you do this, and it makes it nice and soft for when you get around to face lathering.

If you use soap, be patient with your Rooney, you'll be rewarded. They excel with face althering but are not shy with a bowl either.
Enjoy!

My first shave with my 1/1 Super was horrible. The brush was so stiff it irritated my face. I made a few extra practice lathers in a bowl (I'm strictly a face latherer) to soften up the brush some, and since then it's been smooth sailing. I've had the brush a month or so, and I think now it's entered it's prime: soft but firm, and it's giving up the lather better than in the beginning.

These brushes are some thirsty monsters, just use more soap and more water. To me they dont have a break in period I think its more of getting used to a new water soap or cream ratio. :smile:

These brushes are some thirsty monsters, just use more soap and more water. To me they dont have a break in period I think its more of getting used to a new water soap or cream ratio. :smile:

Nah, they definitely have a break-in period, but you're also correct about learning the soap/water ratio :smile:

Regards.

J

I just got my new Rooney Alibaba 1 and was disappointed with the lather this morning. This thread is just what I was looking for. I will be patient and break it in. I did use more cream to get what I wanted today.

4 hairs is nothing -- when you get to 4 per shave, then you may have a problem.

But if you are concerned, contact the vendor and they will take care of you. They'll give you stats, and instructions on how to monitor for problem shedding, and how to make sure it's combed out to catch any loose hairs that did not attach to the glue at the knot.

Cheers.

J

Top Bottom