What's new

New Razor but what Blade?

I don't have the Crusader but I do have Vikings Blade's Emperor Meiji and I find it to be an aggressive razor, for what it's worth.
I highly recommend spending under $10 and getting a blade sampler to try various blades by different manufacturers. It didn't take long to pick a few out of the sample pack that became my favorite blades.

Thanks! I purchased a Blade Sampler that is due any day. The Sampler contains 9 different blades that I am anxious to try.
My question is: how many shaves should I give each Blade? I've read that blades change from shave to shave. More or less sharper, smoother etc. Would 3 shaves with each Blade give me a good idea how they will perform for the long haul. I know that my MMV but I'm just looking for a starting point. As always, thanks for your help and assistance!

Thanks! I purchased a Blade Sampler that is due any day. The Sampler contains 9 different blades that I am anxious to try.
My question is: how many shaves should I give each Blade? I've read that blades change from shave to shave. More or less sharper, smoother etc. Would 3 shaves with each Blade give me a good idea how they will perform for the long haul. I know that my MMV but I'm just looking for a starting point. As always, thanks for your help and assistance!
I think that 3 shaves is definitely safe as far as avoiding irritation, but some of these blades (e.g. certain Gillettes) you can provide many more comfortable shaves. Most of the coated blades become sharper on the second shave. Nevertheless, if a blade is uncomfortable on the first shave, don't shave with it. The irritation is not worth the experiment to see if the sharpness improves with use.

Also, do not pay attention to what anybody else says about a blade. If it is uncomfortable for you, don't use it.

Last edited:
Hello! I am maybe one step above a Noob. I went back to wet shaving a few months ago and I keep having the same problem. My technique is improving every time I shave and I know it takes time. My cheeks are fine at the end of a 2 or 3 pass shave. However, I continue to experience Razor burn on my neck every single shave. I just ordered a Vikings Blade Crusader, along with a Blade sample pack. The question is, what style (mild,mid or aggressive) Blade should I be using? I'm retired and truly look forward to my wet shaving ritual and the satisfaction when I have a really good shave. Just really fed up with the Razor burn!
I look forward to your responses and thanks for your help!
If it was me and I had problems on the neck area with trying different blades with no luck to answer your question I would try Wilkinson Sword blades to try as they are super mild only problem is is that you may find your shaving experience not as close of a shave when doing 3 passes but it should solve the problem.

Welcome, I like you didn't map my beard till recently. What I thought was xtg by going east to west, was, in reality, atg on my neck. And before I was using feather blades so I sliced my face all up. My neck is a problem spot too. The more I try to get BBS the more risk of irritation. I've come to embrace that discretion is the better part of valor in the neck area. I second buying a Henson razor. In my return to wet shaving, I use a Henson and I have had far fewer issues with irritation and nicks.

Top Bottom