What's new

New Pipe Lighter advice

Thinking about putting an Old Boy in the IPSD cart. I do like my Zippos, but it'd be nice to have something with a little more panache at times.

Servus!

I find it pretty amazing that so many of you smoke your pipes outdoors when it is windy. I rarely go outside with a pipe when there is more than a gentle breeze.

I tend to not smoke in the wind - it blows everything into my face! :blink:

Well, that sounds really unpleasant!

But I like to smoke outside on a calm day with a nice breeze, or during the winter while the rain (or the snow) hits the ground

Have an old boy and a zippo with the pipe insert. Give me the zippo every time!
Brian, you are the first person I've heard say anything negative about the Old Boy. As I'm leaning toward buying one in a couple weeks, would you mind me asking what you dislike about it?

Not to butt in but I have the smooth briar old boy. Here's what I like and hate about it.

If I was able to be a indoor smoker, my old boy everytime. It's a desk piece, just beautiful and regal and classic. It's as good as any lighter outdoors.

Im unfortunately an outdoor smoker and I find myself spooked of dropping it, denting it, scuffing it.

Not to butt in but I have the smooth briar old boy. Here's what I like and hate about it.

If I was able to be a indoor smoker, my old boy everytime. It's a desk piece, just beautiful and regal and classic. It's as good as any lighter outdoors.

Im unfortunately an outdoor smoker and I find myself spooked of dropping it, denting it, scuffing it.
This I can understand. Primarily an outdoor smoker as well, and I've got a few pipe Zippos - which are great. There are times, though, when I may have the opportunity to smoke indoors, or for whatever reason want to "take it up a notch" - and I've always lusted after the Old Boy for just such an occasion.

Brian, you are the first person I've heard say anything negative about the Old Boy. As I'm leaning toward buying one in a couple weeks, would you mind me asking what you dislike about it?

I find my Old Boy to be finicky and temperamental. You roll the wheel on the zippo and you get a dependable flame every time.
I guess the main things are consistent flame size and ease of sticking a flame that I find inconsistent with the Old Boy.

I find my Old Boy to be finicky and temperamental. You roll the wheel on the zippo and you get a dependable flame every time.
I guess the main things are consistent flame size and ease of sticking a flame that I find inconsistent with the Old Boy.

#1 Clean it , #2 Check the Flint , #3 Drain the fuel of All Air , Totally Empty , fuel for 5-6 seconds , Shake , Fuel 3 more seconds , #4 Then Give it 15 minutes to sit ... . Should work Perfect . The times mine every gave me any problem it was one of those , plus make sure the flame is adjusted to your preference , especially if you've messed with it once it started becoming "iffy" (dirty , or air in the fuel , or flint too small)

Top Bottom