What's new

New Perfume for the Lady

I hope this thread is in the right place. My apologies if I'm wrong.

I'm looking for some new perfume for my girlfriend and she and I both very tired of the common department store stuff that everybody else has. She wants a wonderful pleasant perfume where she's the only (well at least one of the very few) wearing it. I have been looking at the Ladies Penhaligons, but I don't really want to shell out over a hundred dollars without ever having smelled it or heard any feedback about it. What I would love are some ladies samples. She's not a fan of anything overly floral and definately not powdery and also she is not a fan of strong rose fragrances in general.

So does anyone have any advice for a good perfume?

Thanks so much all, I appreciate it.

Penhaligons sells a sampler of a dozen fragrances for $20. I got one for my girlfriend. Except I got it from a guy on Basenotes.com who was selling them for $6. He is out, I think, of the ladies scent library though. But he probably has some left of the mixed (fun for your too). You can also simply request free sample from Penhaligons. I've not tried it, but apparently they are pretty good about it. You won't get a dozen, but three or four probably is not a problem. Which, if your girlfriend does not like especially floral scents, should be plenty. Of the ones in the sampler library, the vast majority were floral. (Violet, bluebell, rose, lavendar, lily of the valley, maybe another or two I am forgetting). I am sure they are blends with other notes, but predominantly floral. LP #9, for ladies, on the other hand, was nice stuff. (Well, the others were very nice to, but not for what you are looking for). very sexy, but, I thought, quite refined.

I am sure there are plenty of other things that would do it as well. I just have no clue about this stuff in general.

-Mo

Hi Tim, my wife does not care for many floral scents. Scents that my wife does like include Violetta, Artemisia, Malabah and Ellenisia. Little does she know that some of these are floral but they smell great.

I also agree. Ask for samples.

My wife LOVES the Ellenisia from Penhaligon's, and also really likes the Lavandula... I know a few other women who LOVE the LP#9. As far as the Lavandula andf LP#9, you can get the 50ml bottles for $25 or 100ml for $40 from Franco on basenotes. (Just search the for sale forum for penhaligon's, you'll see 'em)...

As far as samples go, you can get the straight from Penhaligon's. Just send them an email requesting samples for the scents you want to try. Some say they limit you to 3 or 4 before the tell you to buy the sample pack, but my last email was for 6 fragrances, and they sent me all of them no problem. Just be polite and they'll have no problem shipping you some out.

My wife loves China Rose by Floris and Endymion's by Penhaligon's.

Though on a woman, I prefer Clinique Happy or Edwardian Bouquet by Floris. The former exudes laughter and sensuality whereas the latter is powerful, yet feminine (it reminds me of something Number Six from Battlestar Galactica or Melisandre Shahrizai from the Kushiel's Legacy Series by Jacqueline Carey would wear.) Very femme fetale. Sin in a bottle.

I'm looking for some new perfume for my girlfriend and she and I both very tired of the common department store stuff that everybody else has. She wants a wonderful pleasant perfume where she's the only (well at least one of the very few) wearing it. I have been looking at the Ladies Penhaligons, but I don't really want to shell out over a hundred dollars without ever having smelled it or heard any feedback about it. What I would love are some ladies samples. She's not a fan of anything overly floral and definately not powdery and also she is not a fan of strong rose fragrances in general.

Tim,

My wife is picky when it comes to scents and she like one called Silver. I hope it is available at department stores so I don't have to go through the seven levels of hell as I had to do to find the purse she wanted.

My wife liked the Penhaligon's Artemesia but Chanel No. 5 also smelled nice. I thought I'd save money by avoiding the "expensive" Penhalighon's and get the Chanel. Boy, was I wrong. I would hardly call Chanel a department store perfume, even though that's where I bought it. Classy stuff.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So Tim ... over a year later ... what did you end up getting for her?

Tim...

For Christmas 2006 bought my sweetheart a bottle of Pen's Violetta, but it doesn't really last unless she uses lotion first, then sprays it over the lotion, but it still fades after 4 hours or so.

This year, take a trip over to Bath and Body Works. They have an EDT that is an incredibly sensual scent, (at least to my nose), called Sensual Amber, and at $15 you can't go wrong...Also let her try their Magnolia Blossom....NIRVANA!

They easily compete with Pen's Artemisia, IMO, and at 1/5 th the price how can you go wrong?:thumbup:

My wife can't decide between Endymion or Lily & Spice. Regardless, she cannot make up her mind this Christmas and said, "You know I don't wear many scents. If it doesn't smell like candy or gingerbread men, I ain't going to buy it, nor do I want you spending your money on it either." :glare:

We even took a trip to the perfume counter last night at Neiman Marcus. No go.

Is the Sensual Amber very sweet? :wink:

Why not buy some decants of different scents. Then she could let you know which one she really likes without losing mad $ over the deal.

==Tom

When they say amber, do they mean ambergris? if so, is it now a synthetic?

Mike

Amber is completely different from ambergris. Real ambergris is animal based and is a biliary biliary secretion of the intestines of the sperm whale. It is used as a fixitive to make the scent last longer, but it does also alter/improve the overall smell.

Amber is a sweet resinous smell, often mixed with vanilla (Guerlinade).

When they say amber, do they mean ambergris? if so, is it now a synthetic?

Mike

Amber is completely different from ambergris. Real ambergris is animal based and is a biliary biliary secretion of the intestines of the sperm whale. It is used as a fixitive to make the scent last longer, but it does also alter/improve the overall smell.

Amber is a sweet resinous smell, often mixed with vanilla (Guerlain's Guerlinade).

Isaac

B&B Tease-in-Residence
Ill tell you what...you can do a Sample pack they are offering in mini bottles at Penhaligon's. You get the top 4 scents for 50 bucks. I smelled their Lily of the Valley and fell in love. I bought it as a gift for someone. Its YUMMY.

Top Bottom