What's new

New old razor

This arrived today ...I brought it from eBay for $12 including shipping.
proxy.php

It's a 1973 Gillette Tech made in Canada
The build quality isn't as good as my other Gillettes. It will be interesting to see how it Shaves tomorrow.... it has a Perma Sharp in it all ready to go. [emoji106][emoji1604]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
The build quality isn't as good as my other Gillettes. It will be interesting to see how it Shaves tomorrow.... it has a Perma Sharp in it all ready to go. [emoji106][emoji1604]

How do you find the Perma-Sharp blades? I've only recently started using them - bulk order from Connaughts - and like them very much. Very sharp and smooth.

While Gillette simplified the design they didn't screw up the shave.
This razor probably shaves the best of any I have. Today BBS baby [emoji3]

Also blade alignment is perfect unlike my V3. I can never get that the same on each side.

@haggis2a day 1 of the Perma Sharp's are a tad rough subsequent days are as smooth as. I love them.

@haggis2a day 1 of the Perma Sharp's are a tad rough subsequent days are as smooth as. I love them.

I've had similar experience with the Perma Sharps. First day is a tiny bit rough - it's almost as good as any of the Gillette's 7 o'clocks, but certainly not better. However, day two onwards is extremely smooth. I've only been using the Perma Sharps for a couple of weeks, but I'm already a big fan of them.

My other new blade currently in rotation is Gillette Nacet. Might be sharper than the Perma Sharp and even smoother. They're unusual in that they feel 'thin' compared to every other blade I've tried. Used a Nacet in an Open Comb the other day and it was fantastic. It felt extremely sharp, feeling much closer to the face than a Closed Comb, but was probably the smoothest shave I've had after only two passes.

I keep hearing that blades don't matter much once you've got the technique down, but I've had variable experiences from the ones I've tried. Only one or two I would consider genuinely bad, but most are good and a few are extremely good. Oh well, something else to keep the acquisition disorder alive and well!

BIC blades are my other favourite...
They are smooth from the get go.

Top Bottom