What's new

New, non-tallow Tabac reviews go in here

If you have both new versions that are different colors and smell different (allegedly), then how can you do a fair “blind” comparison between the two? You plan to cover your eyes and put a clothespin on your nose? lol
Not sure what you are getting at. Discerning differences is what the comparison is for!
Assigning qualities or lack thereof to a soap because of preconceived notions is what we are trying to eliminate. And since i have no idea which soap is which, i can still provide a fair comparison, even if the soaps are wildly different.

Not sure what you are getting at. Discerning differences is what the comparison is for!
Assigning qualities or lack thereof to a soap because of preconceived notions is what we are trying to eliminate. And since i have no idea which soap is which, i can still provide a fair comparison, even if the soaps are wildly different.

The point is that it’s hard to compare two things that look and smell different, you’re already biased because you can tell they are different just by looking and smelling them.

You are most definitely going to find a difference between the two versions of the product because you are biased that way, there’s no way around it.

Thanks for offering to compare! One suggestion in advance: each soap will likely need to be handled a bit differently in terms of dialing them in to optimize their performance. Both should get pretty slick, so I'd let that be your guide.

Tabac is FANTASTIC chasing the sexy old swag into your sexy love life unless you're an old fart.

proxy.php
I threw up in my mouth a little:ohmy:

The point is that it’s hard to compare two things that look and smell different, you’re already biased because you can tell they are different just by looking and smelling them.

You are most definitely going to find a difference between the two versions of the product because you are biased that way, there’s no way around it.

But I'm TRYING to find a difference. That's the whole point of doing the comparison. That's what you are missing. Differences are inevitable. The question is whether there are functional difference beyond the cosmetic ones you have described.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
But I'm TRYING to find a difference. That's the whole point of doing the comparison. That's what you are missing. Differences are inevitable. The question is whether there are functional difference beyond the cosmetic ones you have described.
FWIW, I understand what you mean.
Having never seen, smelled, or used either, it doesn't matter if there are clear differences.
You wouldn't know which attribute to assign to which sample.
The end result would be an opinion that they were equally effective or that one was better - but you wouldn't know which was which.
If I had some of the new, I'd send them off to you.

FWIW, I understand what you mean.
Having never seen, smelled, or used either, it doesn't matter if there are clear differences.
You wouldn't know which attribute to assign to which sample.
The end result would be an opinion that they were equally effective or that one was better - but you wouldn't know which was which.
If I had some of the new, I'd send them off to you.
Precisely. thank you.

But it's all good; another member has already agreed to send the two samples, so in due time I will be able to weigh in.

luvmysuper

My elbows leak
Staff member
You WILL find a difference, you’re already biased.

This is EXACTLY what I meant when I said previously that no amount of "reviews" were going to change anything.
If the old version is preferred, one group will say it is biased and not valid.
If the new version is preferred, another group will say it is biased and not valid.

I think all of the favorable reviews done so far on the new version are just people trying to defend their stand that "things will be ok" when the reformulation news broke, and should be duly ignored!
My advice is ignore any reviews, use what you have, and if you feel adventurous, buy the new crap.
But I'm really am biased, I liked Tabac the way it was, :lol1:

You WILL find a difference, you’re already biased.
How am I biased, exactly? Remember, I have never tried either one nor smelled either one.
If they make the same lather, provide the same slickness, the some cushion, and the same post-shave, I will say that they are functionally the same, to me.
Of course I will find a difference, because apparently they are different, with different color and a slightly different scent.
Are you saying that the any unbiased review would be one that would say they were the same? We already know there are observable differences.

What I am trying to find out is whether there are functional differences. I have no preconceived notions or bias about that because I won't know which is which and i have never tried either. So I have no dog in the hunt.

At this point I honestly can't tell if you are serious or if you are just trolling.

This is EXACTLY what I meant when I said previously that no amount of "reviews" were going to change anything.
If the old version is preferred, one group will say it is biased and not valid.
If the new version is preferred, another group will say it is biased and not valid.

I think all of the favorable reviews done so far on the new version are just people trying to defend their stand that "things will be ok" when the reformulation news broke, and should be duly ignored!
My advice is ignore any reviews, use what you have, and if you feel adventurous, buy the new crap.
But I'm really am biased, I liked Tabac the way it was, :lol1:

I can care less who prefers what because people are biased, this thread is proof of that. I was just curious if anyone could tell the old from the new if tested under controlled conditions.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy who doesn’t troll shaving forums all day would know if the new puck of Tabac he squished down into his bowl felt any different from the last one that ran out, that’s all.

I can care less who prefers what because people are biased, this thread is proof of that. I was just curious if anyone could tell the old from the new if tested under controlled conditions.

I wouldn’t be surprised if a guy who doesn’t troll shaving forums all day would know if the new puck of Tabac he squished down into his bowl felt any different from the last one that ran out, that’s all.
I don't think you can get any better controlled conditions than somebody who has never tried either and doesn't know how it smells or looks like.What do you want a laboratory?Am i missing something?

I don't think you can get any better controlled conditions than somebody who has never tried either and doesn't know how it smells or looks like.What do you want a laboratory?Am i missing something?

If,

you can LOOK at soap A and see a difference from soap B

and

you can NOSE soap A and smell a difference from soap B

Then

you can bet your sweep bippy you’re gonna observe a performance difference between soap A and B, even if one does not exist.

Now, if @kingfisher received two IDENTICAL smelling and looking samples of Tabac, one tallow, one without, then that would be a way better test comparing the performance of both products.

If,

and

Then

you can bet your sweep bippy you’re gonna observe a performance difference between soap A and B.

Now, if @kingfisher received two IDENTICAL smelling and looking samples of Tabac, one tallow, one without, then that would be a way better test comparing the performance of both products.
He's never used either so he doesn't know the difference.How does he know which ones which?We can't get two identical smelling and looking samples,one tallow,one without because they've CHANGED THE FORMULA.

If,

and

Then

you can bet your sweep bippy you’re gonna observe a performance difference between soap A and B, even if one does not exist.
All @kingfisher knows is he has two soaps, A & B. He doesn't know which one is the older one and which is the newer one because he's not used Tabac before.

If he can report what he observes, that's useful information. Of course, there will be differences between A & B, that's what we're interested in finding out.

:confused1

You have a valid point no doubt but unfortunately your control doesn't exist. As a result It's not even a question that can be evaluated.

I want to know what La Toja Veggie vs La Toja Tallow would be like. Doesn't exist in this universe, unanswerable. Same with your perfectly matched Tabac's. Bummer, I know.

In the real world @kingfisher can only evaluate what is. Real Soap A vs real Soap B. You are free to use the results as you see fit. That will be "As Good as it Gets".

Last edited:
Top Bottom