What's new

The shocking new formula Tabac

Long after most of you have discussed new formula Tabac at length and moved on with your lives, it finally got to the top of my waiting list. I opened the famous gold wrapper and instantly my nose was met with the same intense blast of Tabac fragrance as the original tallow version. Whew! It will have to air out a while, just like the original. This very much surprised me as most of you said there was less of a smell. Tabac bath soap is less intense, but not this. Plus, I still have the milk glass jar with the original design.

End of Review and Final Verdict: Tabac is still Tabac, shaving soap of the Beatles. I'm sorry, but performance, whatever it is, just isn't the main thing here. Did I mention the Beatles used it? I mean, come on.

I really enjoy the new version but I never tried the old version so … .What’s the Beatles connection? Is there a photo, an anecdote, a humorous quip from Ringo?
There is a photo that iirc has been posted here before of a table backstage at a Beatles concert with various items, including a jar of Tabac shaving soap and a bottle of Tabac aftershave lotion.

Neat. One arrow pointing to the Tabac aftershave and one to…a badger brush? Had this typed out but forgot to press post reply. Duh
Actually, unless I'm losing my mind, I remember another photo as well showing both the shaving soap jar and the aftershave bottle. Supposedly the Beatles, George Harrison in particular, took a liking to Tabac during their time in Hamburg.

Using Tabac for the first time and have a question about storage.
I bought a refill pack as it was cheaper. Was planning to store it
in a Mitchell Wool Fat porcelain bowl.

The puck is same weight as Mitchells...125gm
But it does not sit flush with the walls of the bowl. There's about 5mm gap all around.
How does one overcome this? Does the puck adhere to the bottom of the bowl once it gets wet?

Any tips?

certainly during the period in Hamburg …

Soap is mine …

IMG_6327.jpeg
IMG_6328.jpeg

...But it does not sit flush with the walls of the bowl. There's about 5mm gap all around.
How does one overcome this? Does the puck adhere to the bottom of the bowl once it gets wet?

Any tips?
Easy. Puck out, put some warm water in the bowl and drop the puck. Move the puck around a bit then press it down while centering in the bowl. Drain excess water and leave it covered until next day. The puck will stay put and remain center until the last shave. I prefer the gap around since it allows me to finish the puck without having the dreaded soap doughnut.
This works for me with any soap.

Easy. Puck out, put some warm water in the bowl and drop the puck. Move the puck around a bit then press it down while centering in the bowl. Drain excess water and leave it covered until next day. The puck will stay put and remain center until the last shave. I prefer the gap around since it allows me to finish the puck without having the dreaded soap doughnut.

Great advice...thanks!

Using Tabac for the first time and have a question about storage.
I bought a refill pack as it was cheaper. Was planning to store it
in a Mitchell Wool Fat porcelain bowl.

The puck is same weight as Mitchells...125gm
But it does not sit flush with the walls of the bowl. There's about 5mm gap all around.

Any tips?
I 3017'd a puck in the jar last year.

Before I started, I dug around my shop for a high end precision tool to fix this problem. I tried a few few things, but nothing worked to my satisfaction.

Then I broke out this handy dandy gadget which most us already own, in fact most of us have 2 of them on hands.

Any guesses?

This worked like a charm.
1709235075580.png

Easy. Puck out, put some warm water in the bowl and drop the puck. Move the puck around a bit then press it down while centering in the bowl. Drain excess water and leave it covered until next day. The puck will stay put and remain center until the last shave.

Tried it today....worked perfectly...did not even have to leave it overnight....after 15 min I tried to shake the bowl and the
puck was stuck firmly to it. Great shave with the Tabac....I understand the hype now.

BTW, how do I know whether I am using the old formula or the new one?
Did some reading....ok its the 2021 formula Im using....its very slick
and post shave face feel is great. Fragrance is pretty restrained as well.

Last edited:
yes yes donuts are generally disappointing.

Top Bottom