What's new

New Merkur Progress: Aggressive? Ohhh, yeah

This is interesting. I can’t wait for the end of the story.
The Epic Continues:

When we last left our intrepid correspondent with the German Navy screen name, he was wondering how his Merkur Progress razor would perform after the advice tendered by B & B members. REPORT FOLLOWS:

"Did everything the same as on Thursday, except I've tightened the Progress all the way down and given it a fraction of a turn to loosen. The dot on the handle is even with the '2' setting. Even at that mildest setting, the razor performs with great (one might almost say 'German') efficiency. Pass 1, WTG everywhere; pass 2, a mix of ATG and XTG; pass 3, some ATG followed by touchup under the chin and over to the left side of the throat. No burn, no nicks, just a smoothly shaved face and throat. I don't know if I even need to open the razor up to higher settings if it does this well at the mildest. Merkur is a keeper."

REPORT ENDS

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
.... I'd be happy if they'd just put, yanno, instructions in the box!

It seems self-evident to me but I've worked on machines for 50 years -- although back in the old days Merkur supplied a brief page for new owners.

Here you go -- keep in mind the old Progress has a zero on the dial.

It seems self-evident to me but I've worked on machines for 50 years -- although back in the old days Merkur supplied a brief page for new owners.

Here you go -- keep in mind the old Progress has a zero on the dial.
I saw that as part of my research . . . but it does not mention screwing the knob all the way down. It brings your attention to the bit about the arrow lining up correctly, but not what to do about the ivory knob.

Update, all,

After about 6 or 8 shaves with the Merkur Progress, I think I have it dialed in. This morning on a 48-hour beard, post-shower, Tabac stick soap, I let the razor off the leash a little for my first pass on cheeks and throat. Then I snugged it back to mildest for the two passes on my lower lip and my throat, and a little touchup on the latter.

Result: near BBS, no irritation, just a smooth shave. Perhaps on my next trial with the razor, I'll loosen it a bit more to see what happens. But what I did today seems to be perfect. Glad I bought the Merkur -- especially if they will no longer be made, or made to the same specs, and old examples will rise in price.

I also bought a Progress recently and only shaved with it one time so far. But I was also in a dilemma about how to adjust it correctly.
I really enjoyed the thread and will apply the steps outlined to get the most out if it.
Thanks Gents!

I've got a Progress recently and I have to say, it's not easy figuring it out right off the bat. I was confused for a bit how the adjustable knot would work but got it down after a bit. I'm excited to shave with this soon, although I gotta test out my Gillette NEW a little bit more!

I've got a Progress recently and I have to say, it's not easy figuring it out right off the bat. I was confused for a bit how the adjustable knot would work but got it down after a bit. I'm excited to shave with this soon, although I gotta test out my Gillette NEW a little bit more!
Both are great razors and provide a good close shave.

My Progres and Gillette adjustable do not correlate with yours. Merkur can be dialed all the way up (mind I haven't tried past+) and it is not as efficient as a Slim @9. I can get good shaves w Gillette at 5-7, get only mediocre shaves w the Merkur (I have the long handle model).

The dial with the numbers is adjustable. It moves. That's why no two of these razors is exactly the same. It seems they all come out of the factory set a bit differently.

You can adjust the dial by twisting it, it will be a bit stiff so you will need to have perfectly dry hands and you might want to wrap a rubber band around the dial before trying to turn it.

Turn it to where you want the "zero" to be and you can then use whatever number works best for you. As I mentioned, the dial is stiff so it won't move after you set it.

Brilliant razor.

When you tighten the razor full with the blade in,see which direction the dot is.Then untighten and holding the head twist the handle with the dot at where the number 1 is .Try until fully tighten the 1 and the + symbol are at line.Then untighten a little and you are at number1

I set my Progress on 2.5 for my second pass yesterday and it actually felt better than the 1.5 on the first pass. Odd. Next time I will start at 2.5 I think. For comparison, I normally set my Fatboy on 4 or 5.

My last shave of June, and he Merkur Progress continues to impress. I'm glad I bought this razor before something happens to the company or the quality, and the prices soar.

Top Bottom