What's new

new info on gem 100 pack blades

for those of us that like the 100 pack of Gem ptfe razor blades, they are being rebranded as
Accutech pro razor blades.

I'm sure the old gem packaging will be around for a while yet, but as old stock gets used up
the new Accuteck packaging will replace it.

As far as I know they are still the same razor blades, just in a different package.
Old Gem package number 62-0178 New Accutech package number APBL-7063-0000

The source for this information is RDG woodwinds.Inc RDG Woodwinds - https://rdgwoodwinds.com/
You can also find them on the Web if you just google "gem razor blades 100 pack"
Apparently lots of woodwind players use Gem blades to shave their reeds down.

Anyway, just some new information that you might not have come across yet.

GEMandAccuTecRazorBladeComparison-TEXT_1296x.jpg

Attachments

• For those of you who keep track .txt
    136 bytes · Views: 12
I ordered and received from 100 Accutek Pro blades from RDG Woodwinds a few weeks ago. No problems at all. Received blades on time and as ordered.

Why a woodwind musical instrument supplier? Apparently these blades are used by double reed instrument players (oboe, bassoon) to make and adjust their delicate wooden reeds.

Are they PTFE coated???? Good Question because the package does not say coated.

But as "lancre" and "thombrogan" have pointed out, they are, so they are safe to use.

One of the things about GEM blades is that there are several styles of blades.
Stainless, carbon, coated and uncoated, and if you get the wrong one you will know
it immediately.

This is not the first time this has come up, but it gets buried in other threads. Here
is a thread that was started in 2021 that this also came up.

While there is maybe nothing new under the sun here, it is good to revisit these topics
once in a while to try to keep everyone up to date.

I wonder how these woodwind players shave their reeds?

Do they use GEM razors? Which one. 1912, micromatic, featherweight?
Do they use little tiny shaving brushes?
Do they ARKO or MWF ?
What aftershave would you use on a reed? Old Spice,Aqua Velva, Clubman ?
Inquiring minds want to know.......

lancre

You are absolutely right. The package picture you posted absolutely Says '' coated" .
But, The package picture that I originally posted does NOT say "coated".

Apparently there are two different packaging types out there. but if you look at the
SKU / model numbers on both packages they are the same, APBL-7063-0000.

So whether the box says coated or not, always check the SKU / model numbers to
make sure you get the right one.

This could be the same for the GEM packaged blades also.The old GEM blades could be
packaged as either 62-0165 or 62-0178 They are the same blade. Not only that but
the packaging between the GEM coated and uncoated was almost identical. If you didn't
know the difference between the 62-0178 (coated) ant the 62-0179 (uncoated) you could
easily get the wrong one, and there are people the the forum that can attest to that.

So always make sure to check things out before you order, and if you have questions,
that's what the forum is here for.

You would think if they went to the effort to create new packaging they would make it clear whether the blades were designed to shave beards or carpets.

for those of us that like the 100 pack of Gem ptfe razor blades, they are being rebranded as
Accutech pro razor blades.

I'm sure the old gem packaging will be around for a while yet, but as old stock gets used up
the new Accuteck packaging will replace it.

As far as I know they are still the same razor blades, just in a different package.
Old Gem package number 62-0178 New Accutech package number APBL-7063-0000

The source for this information is RDG woodwinds.Inc RDG Woodwinds - https://rdgwoodwinds.com/
You can also find them on the Web if you just google "gem razor blades 100 pack"
Apparently lots of woodwind players use Gem blades to shave their reeds down.

Anyway, just some new information that you might not have come across yet.

View attachment 1849460
They are coated even though it doesn’t say on the packaging?

lancre

You are absolutely right. The package picture you posted absolutely Says '' coated" .
But, The package picture that I originally posted does NOT say "coated".

Apparently there are two different packaging types out there. but if you look at the
SKU / model numbers on both packages they are the same, APBL-7063-0000.

So whether the box says coated or not, always check the SKU / model numbers to
make sure you get the right one.

This could be the same for the GEM packaged blades also.The old GEM blades could be
packaged as either 62-0165 or 62-0178 They are the same blade. Not only that but
the packaging between the GEM coated and uncoated was almost identical. If you didn't
know the difference between the 62-0178 (coated) ant the 62-0179 (uncoated) you could
easily get the wrong one, and there are people the the forum that can attest to that.

So always make sure to check things out before you order, and if you have questions,
that's what the forum is here for.
Thank you. You answered my question about coating.

Top Bottom