What's new

New Handlebar Mustache: Advice needed

I am three weeks into growing my first mustache. I am planning to grow a handlebar. I have a question about the ends of the mustache, and where they should be exactly. I have included a photo below. I highlighted in red the areas in question. Should I leave it how it is? Or should I trim at the level of the red line, removing the area circled in red?

Thanks in advance for your advice.

proxy.php

strop

Now half as wise
I trim mine to the level of the red line. You can do it either way, but it will affect the overall look. If you leave it as is, it may look a bit better for now, but the eventual handlebar will have a pronounced curve since it will dip down before curving out. This is the really awkward stage. Not long enough to really do much with, but now is the time to start training it by combing/brushing it and using some wax. Give it another 6 weeks and you'll see it begin to take shape.

I just celebrated my 33rd wedding anniversary. My bride has never seen me without a mustache. The handlebar has only been for the last 6 or 7 years. I went home from college with a 6 week old mustache, my freshman year. My mother did not approve, and told me so in no uncertain terms. being the college guy I was, I kept it. When I went home for Christmas, all of a sudden everything was OK. Strange. Under the tree that year was a bqx from my grandmother. It contained my great=grandfathers mustache cup. She had found it with old family photos that showed all the men wearing beards and big handlebar mustaches. She "informed" my mother that if it was OK for them, it was OK for me, and I've had mine ever since. I still have that tea cup.

Great story, stop. Not much facial hair in my old family pictures. My wife can't stand it when I go a few weeks without shaving, unfortunately. No handlebar for me, but tip of the hat to those who do.

I trim mine to the level of the red line. You can do it either way, but it will affect the overall look. If you leave it as is, it may look a bit better for now, but the eventual handlebar will have a pronounced curve since it will dip down before curving out. This is the really awkward stage. Not long enough to really do much with, but now is the time to start training it by combing/brushing it and using some wax. Give it another 6 weeks and you'll see it begin to take shape.

Thanks Mark. Much appreciated. I ordered some Firehouse wax. The training will begin when it arrives.

In the long run, I'm not interested in a prounced dip before the upward curl at the ends of the mustache.

I think I may trim to the red line....

I just celebrated my 33rd wedding anniversary. My bride has never seen me without a mustache. The handlebar has only been for the last 6 or 7 years. I went home from college with a 6 week old mustache, my freshman year. My mother did not approve, and told me so in no uncertain terms. being the college guy I was, I kept it. When I went home for Christmas, all of a sudden everything was OK. Strange. Under the tree that year was a bqx from my grandmother. It contained my great=grandfathers mustache cup. She had found it with old family photos that showed all the men wearing beards and big handlebar mustaches. She "informed" my mother that if it was OK for them, it was OK for me, and I've had mine ever since. I still have that tea cup.

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

My father shaved his mustache on his 32nd wedding anniversary. As in your case, my mother (and his three children) had never seen him without a mustache. We were all shocked. He did it without warning. It took quite a while for everyone to get used to it.

Last edited:
I've had various styles of facial hair in my time. Full beards, donuts, landing strips, fu manchu's, mutton chops, you name it. Well I am working on my 1st handlebar. I am of the opinion that you have to shave at the line to get the correct curve. Mine is at the stage where I can make a small curl on each side. I have been waxing/training it for about 3 weeks. My hair grows pretty fast so I'm guessing by February I'll have a good looking Snydley Whiplash stash going on... lol I have matched it with a landing strip/goatee. My wife thinks I'm crazy but what else is new...lol

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
my NY resolution was to grow a mustache all year. not sure what style i want yet, but handle bar is sounding very intriguing.

i say was because i have a job interview on the 3rd and i don't want to show up with a scruffy 3 day beard or 3 day mustache. So not even 3 days in and my NY resolution will be broken. but on the 4th the mustache growing will resume.

I just left mine alone entirely for about the last 3-4 months (my hair grows pretty slow). It did have a wierd transitional period. But, I trained it constantly with a comb and some wax. Now that its where I want it, I just trim the tips if they get too wild.

strop

Now half as wise
Thanks Mark. Much appreciated. I ordered some Firehouse wax. The training will begin when it arrives.

In the long run, I'm not interested in a prounced dip before the upward curl at the ends of the mustache.

I think I may trim to the red line....

That's a great story. Thanks for sharing.

My father shaved his mustache on his 32nd wedding anniversary. As in your case, my mother (and his three children) had never seen him without a mustache. We were all shocked. He did it without warning. It took quite a while for everyone to get used to it.

I've always told LOML that I would shave it anytime she asked. She has never asked. She likes it, but also knows it's just a part of me by now, and something wouldn't just be right, I think.

I just left mine alone entirely for about the last 3-4 months (my hair grows pretty slow). It did have a wierd transitional period. But, I trained it constantly with a comb and some wax. Now that its where I want it, I just trim the tips if they get too wild.

We'll cut you some slack for that!:biggrin1: Job interview definitely takes priority!:thumbup: Besides, 3 or 4 years from now no one will remember that you started on the 4th instead of the 1st!

Ok, so i decided to trim the ends a bit. Here are some photos. My plan now is to train it with wax daily and just let it grow....

Before:
proxy.php

After:
proxy.php

I'll run with you on this Liberty. I'll get some picks and post em on this thread.. Plus you must be a Rush fan w/2112. My favorite band. Neil Peart sported a handlebar for a long time...

I'll run with you on this Liberty. I'll get some picks and post em on this thread.. Plus you must be a Rush fan w/2112. My favorite band. Neil Peart sported a handlebar for a long time...

100% the outcome that I hope to achieve. (Except I have a bald shaven head...)

proxy.php

I would love to join in on this, but I just shaved my stache at the end of Movember. Sadly, my wife is not a fan of the mustache. I, on the other hand, feel like it's a man's obligation, not just a right, to grow a mustache if he can. One day I will sport a handlebar. That's me in the photo and that stache lasted 2 months. It comes in thick so I should have no problem when the time is right.

Best of luck to you chaps growing it out! I'll be watching for updates :)

Top Bottom