What's new

New Guy

Just found this forum and it seems to have a ton of info and good people. I have been shaveing with a Merkur 34c with feather blades. I occasionally use a Feather SS with Feather Professional Super blades for line ups and when I have time. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the great info. I am currently looking for another DE razor. I am leaning towards a Rockwell 6s or a Muhl R41. I would say I don't have very sensitive skin, but I do have very coarse hair. What would you all Recommend?

Welcome to B & B, enjoy! Many here like both razors. The 6C is a less expensive option than the 6S, but is not stainless.

Just found this forum and it seems to have a ton of info and good people. I have been shaveing with a Merkur 34c with feather blades. I occasionally use a Feather SS with Feather Professional Super blades for line ups and when I have time. Just wanted to say hi and thanks for the great info. I am currently looking for another DE razor. I am leaning towards a Rockwell 6s or a Muhl R41. I would say I don't have very sensitive skin, but I do have very coarse hair. What would you all Recommend?

I own a Rockwell 6s and love it when I use it(mostly use straights). The three interchangeable plates give you 6 different settings to select your attack plan depending on the state of your whisker’s.

Coarse hair? Yep. That’s me.

Despite lots of trials with open comb (OC) razors, I’ve settled on an EJ89 Barley - with a slight twist. I still have a bunch of Super Iridium blades but use two “shims” in my razor head (used blades with the cutting edges removed with tin snips). Placed between the base and cutting blade it gives the EJ appreciably more aggression without being vicious. Plus, the SIs are pretty sharp (not Feather sharp but Feathers and I don’t agree). “Why not try an adjustable?” I hear you ask. Been there. Done it. My Fatboy and Slim both give decent shaves wide open but somehow didn’t quite feel right. Someone suggested shims here a long while ago and after experimenting with one, two, even three, I found my happy place. That wider gap with a good blade cleans me up good.

Welcome aboard!

Interesting question!

For me the optimal combination is a mild/moderate razor, like your 34 C, paired with a sharp blade: essentially what you are doing now. So my choice would be the Rockwell for a second razor.

Others really like the Muhle 41, which is definitely more aggressive than what you have now.

Welcome aboard!

Interesting question!

For me the optimal combination is a mild/moderate razor, like your 34 C, paired with a sharp blade: essentially what you are doing now. So my choice would be the Rockwell for a second razor.

Others really like the Muhle 41, which is definitely more aggressive than what you have now.

Agree on the sharp blade/milder razor combo.

I have a “thing” for the old Gillettes. Techs and Super Speeds can be gotten easily on eBay. Get both history and a great shave.

Also there are lots of very sharp blades that are less lethal than Feathers. Check our safety razor blade forum for top choices.

PS...Welcome

Agree on the sharp blade/milder razor combo.

I have a “thing” for the old Gillettes. Techs and Super Speeds can be gotten easily on eBay. Get both history and a great shave.

Also there are lots of very sharp blades that are less lethal than Feathers. Check our safety razor blade forum for top choices.

PS...Welcome

+1! Yes indeed! I find Feathers to be unforgiving, not especially smooth, comfortable or long-lasting. But that’s me. Many here love them!

My personal top-tier in no particular order: GSB, Nacet, Astra SP, Personna labs and Personna reds.

In the end, you need to try enough options and combinations to determine what works best for you! :thumbup:

Coarse hair? Yep. That’s me.

Despite lots of trials with open comb (OC) razors, I’ve settled on an EJ89 Barley - with a slight twist. I still have a bunch of Super Iridium blades but use two “shims” in my razor head (used blades with the cutting edges removed with tin snips). Placed between the base and cutting blade it gives the EJ appreciably more aggression without being vicious. Plus, the SIs are pretty sharp (not Feather sharp but Feathers and I don’t agree). “Why not try an adjustable?” I hear you ask. Been there. Done it. My Fatboy and Slim both give decent shaves wide open but somehow didn’t quite feel right. Someone suggested shims here a long while ago and after experimenting with one, two, even three, I found my happy place. That wider gap with a good blade cleans me up good.
Thanks I will be doing some experimenting.

I think my biggest problem is the hair on my neck and adam's apple. In those areas my hair grows like 4 or 5 different directions haha. My cheeks on the other hand I can get a wonderful shave. Not sure what to do about it. I have tried multiple brushes and soaps along with multiple lather patterns to try and lift the hair up but nothing seems to work well.

welcome, lots of great suggestions above. I like the Gem SE razors as well as the DE. There's a lot of great vintage razors out there in addition to the ones currently in production.

Honestly I haven't. I don't know much about the different razors/combs. I am just now learning about that over the past couple of days. What open comb would you recommend?

The choices are many and varied as are the opinions about them. This site has such a wealth of information. If you are intrigued by the single edge razors like the Micromatic I would start with the shave wiki here:
Interactive Guide to SE Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_SE_Razor_Shaving
with special attention to the Single Edge Razor Selection Guide. It is fascinating how much is here and how many questions have already been answered years before you or I even thought to ask.

The choices are many and varied as are the opinions about them. This site has such a wealth of information. If you are intrigued by the single edge razors like the Micromatic I would start with the shave wiki here:
Interactive Guide to SE Razor Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/wiki/Interactive_Guide_to_SE_Razor_Shaving
with special attention to the Single Edge Razor Selection Guide. It is fascinating how much is here and how many questions have already been answered years before you or I even thought to ask.
I will take a look at it. Thank you!

Top Bottom