What's new

New Guy Trying to Learn the Ways

It will happen with practice.

One thing to keep in mind is that we've all been where you are and had to find our way.

Lots of good points already made but I would emphasize working on your technique rather than acquiring a bunch of stuff while chasing the perfect shave.

The Tech is a fine razor, one of my favorites, and perfectly capable of delivering a superb shave. I just bought (another) pre-war Tech in great shape on Ebay for 10 bucks, plus shipping.

Whichever razor you choose, try to stick with it for a bit. Use the same blade, soap, brush, and prep. If it's really not working, change one variable and test the results for a bit before changing again.

As others have stated (from experience) technique is king and your shaves WILL improve over time.

Welcome to the forum. 🙂
Curious about the Tech, does whether or not it's gold matter? I see a lot of gold ones that are priced about the same.

Curious about the Tech, does whether or not it's gold matter? I see a lot of gold ones that are priced about the same.
No difference in performance. The finish was merely cosmetic. There was a slight price difference. The 1940 Gold Tech sold for 98 cents.

If they have oval slots they are not pre-war, but post war. The oval slots are much milder.
Inaccurate in this case. I assume you are talking about US Techs. Here is a 1940 Tech with oval slots. English made for the SA market.
proxy.php

As with most English Gillette designs, they appeared to go their own way.

Mentally I am 100% on board with what you're saying about technique. I'm focused on that at the moment. I'm not really (at least for now) interested in chasing the "BBS" shave. Just a really great shave. I'm only shopping a different razor because the current one I'm using isn't working correctly. I just want to shave, I don't want to spend time screwing around with the razor to get it to behave.

I understand completely.

I started with a drugstore TTO with unbranded blades and quickly decided I needed something different, which is what brought me here. If something doesn't work, I tend to move on quickly.

My point was more about taking a focused approach. Often, we see new DE shavers randomly buying stuff and constantly changing their equipment trying to improve their shave, which makes it more difficult to identify any issues they may be having. It is better to be a bit more methodical.

No difference.

Personally I do prefer the fat handle over the thinner ball-end, but they shave very much the same.

Congrats on all your progress thus far!

So much good advice already. I'd just like to emphasize getting your lather dialed in as best you can. Maybe even playing around with your chosen soap/cream with some test lathers to get the water ratio sorted out.

All the different elements of the shave play a part but for me the lather is paramount as it's quite difficult to work on technique or evaluate gear if you are struggling with the lather.

Best of luck!

No difference in performance. The finish was merely cosmetic. There was a slight price difference. The 1940 Gold Tech sold for 98 cents.

Inaccurate in this case. I assume you are talking about US Techs. Here is a 1940 Tech with oval slots. English made for the SA market.
proxy.php

As with most English Gillette designs, they appeared to go their own way.
There are only US and Canadian made Techs with triangle slots. There is no way to pinpoint that razor as exactly 1940 except if it has the original blades sold with it (if any were included). Look at the URL on Achim's site. It says "1940s"

arg.jpg

The video link is below. He showed a cool way to lather from the soap, then clean up the soap, and use a mister to get a very hydrated lather. He uses straight razors so his lathering skills are good. It results in a very well hydrated lather and does not leave soap scum behind in the container.

Wow, he uses a LOT of soap. That's enough for at least two of my shaves.

I also noticed that he's a "one-hand" shaver, never switching. Last, I'm amazed at how much buffing he does with a straight razor. If I tried that, my face would be hamburger. 😄😄😄

Bottom line, he does what works best for him and that's what matters.

Hello @BAMX and welcome to B&B!

I think you will go far on this forum with such profound wisdom.

Try to pick yourself up a Pre War Tech. They are wonderfully smooth shavers and are probably amongst the most efficient Techs ever made. They have oval (some say triangular) drainage slots on the base plate. Like this
proxy.php

They should be available in the States at your price point. The one shown is a pristine boxed collector example and would be 3 figures. They will come with a 'Fat handle' mostly, the best stock handles Gillette ever made IMO.

They will be on the Bay, just be a little patient and check pics for baseplate details!

I would go with a Gillette Platinum or Personna Red if you can find them, both smooth and acceptably sharp blades. If you want sharper with remarkable forgiveness and smoothness, try the excellent Gillette Nacet.

Your skin will be become familiar with DE shaving over time, so effects should lessen. Any questions, we are here to help and advise!

+1! A prewar tech would be a fine option. Also consider the Merkur 34C or a Lord L6, my ‘travel razor.’

Ah shave soap, that brings up another question for me. If I am just doing 1 pass (for now) is shave soap still the way to go? I feel like I'm wasting a lot of lather.

For me, the quantity is far outweighed by the quality. Especially at the beginning. How much you need will become more apparent as you gain experience.

In other words, use as much water and soap as you need to get a slick, protective lather on your mug. The exact ratio will vary from product to product.

Ah shave soap, that brings up another question for me. If I am just doing 1 pass (for now) is shave soap still the way to go? I feel like I'm wasting a lot of lather.

**Sorry if all of this is repetitive questions answered in a million other threads.

It is often said here that soap is cheap (inexpensive). Also, many lather difficulties are the result of not using enough soap.

To answer your question directly:

Use a good shaving soap. There are many, and they don't need to be pricey. One example is Stirling. I find their soap to be a great pereformer and great value. A single tub is like $15, and will last for many months of daily shaving. You can buy it directly from Stirling, but I always check Pastuer Pharmacy online for free shipping.

Don't worry too much about wasting soap. We all rinse a lot of lather down the drain.

I also noticed that he's a "one-hand" shaver, never switching.
Now that is a great idea, something that never crossed my one-handed mind. With a empty handed dry run, it may be easier to get that optimum shaving angle without twisting the strong hand and head. I just learned something new today, thanks :)

Regarding Gillette techs, I am not sure if it is a prewar-post-war plate configuration difference as these two oval slotted techs have different blade exposures easily viewed if you focus on the corner post indention areas. I find the nickel plate to shave more effectively than the golden one. I only checked because after shaving with the nickel one, it felt so different. Both plates lack date codes but the nickel one has an "S" stamped on it.

IMG_7405.jpg

Now that is a great idea, something that never crossed my one-handed mind. With a empty handed dry run, it may be easier to get that optimum shaving angle without twisting the strong hand and head. I just learned something new today, thanks :)

Regarding Gillette techs, I am not sure if it is a prewar-post-war plate configuration difference as these two oval slotted techs have different blade exposures easily viewed if you focus on the corner post indention areas. I find the nickel plate to shave more effectively than the golden one. I only checked because after shaving with the nickel one, it felt so different. Both plates lack date codes but the nickel one has an "S" stamped on it.

View attachment 1641632
They are both postWar

Top Bottom