What's new

New Guy Trying to Learn the Ways

Trying to navigate my way to a little better experience. Liking the whole "wet shave" thing so far with the DE safety razors. Went from a Dollar General TTO a couple months ago to a Parker 87R TTO. Tried a Feather razor in it, I got through it, but not without irritation all over my neck. I guess my skin's way of slapping my hand saying "NO, not these...these aren't for you!" lol. Parker 87R seems to be ok, though the build quality underneath is a little on the shoddy side. Most importantly, I have learned that the skin on my neck is super sensitive. Is this something that will improve the further I go into DE safety razor shaving?

I'm assuming I should probably look for something on the milder side (at least from what I've kind of been reading).

I have also seen a lot of referrals in older posts in these forums to the Vintage Gillette Tech razors, am I steering in the right direction there? My price range unfortunately would be on the cheaper side like $20 - $40 range.

Trying to navigate my way to a little better experience. Liking the whole "wet shave" thing so far with the DE safety razors. Went from a Dollar General TTO a couple months ago to a Parker 87R TTO. Tried a Feather razor in it, I got through it, but not without irritation all over my neck. I guess my skin's way of slapping my hand saying "NO, not these...these aren't for you!" lol. Parker 87R seems to be ok, though the build quality underneath is a little on the shoddy side. Most importantly, I have learned that the skin on my neck is super sensitive. Is this something that will improve the further I go into DE safety razor shaving?

I'm assuming I should probably look for something on the milder side (at least from what I've kind of been reading).

I have also seen a lot of referrals in older posts in these forums to the Vintage Gillette Tech razors, am I steering in the right direction there? My price range unfortunately would be on the cheaper side like $20 - $40 range.
Hello @BAMX and welcome to B&B!

I think you will go far on this forum with such profound wisdom.

Try to pick yourself up a Pre War Tech. They are wonderfully smooth shavers and are probably amongst the most efficient Techs ever made. They have oval (some say triangular) drainage slots on the base plate. Like this
proxy.php

They should be available in the States at your price point. The one shown is a pristine boxed collector example and would be 3 figures. They will come with a 'Fat handle' mostly, the best stock handles Gillette ever made IMO.

They will be on the Bay, just be a little patient and check pics for baseplate details!

I would go with a Gillette Platinum or Personna Red if you can find them, both smooth and acceptably sharp blades. If you want sharper with remarkable forgiveness and smoothness, try the excellent Gillette Nacet.

Your skin will be become familiar with DE shaving over time, so effects should lessen. Any questions, we are here to help and advise!

Last edited:
Welcome!

From one new guy to another, I would say definitely tone down on the blade selection and review your preparation as that has a major effect on the shave effectiveness. Do those two things first before you go down the new-razor-rabbit-hole.

You came to the right place to get some excellent recommendations from very experienced shavers!

Oh @BAMX I forgot to ask.

How are you fixed for soap/cream and brush? A good lather is any shavers defensive 'Shield' against overly harsh or aggressive hardware (razors, blades) and getting a good lather is vital to comfort and your skin's health and happiness.

Here is longtime member @AimlessWanderer 's much respected guide to DE shaving. Very much quoted and used by many members to get them going. Full of excellent timeless advice. Please give it a read!
The Wanderer's Guide To DE Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-wanderers-guide-to-de-shaving.532194/

Another word on razors. Any Tech is a good Tech to learn superb technique. You DO NOT need to spend big amounts on a razor at this stage.

A Tech is excellent, be it from the 40's 50's or 60's. The Pre-War is just a very good variant.

Another excellent starter razor is the classic 40's Super Speed. This is a TTO that is smooth and very acceptably efficient. Parker's 87R is actually a 'homage' to the Super Speeds more Upmarket British Gillette Cousin of the late 40's, the Aristocrat.

Many Techs, or a Super Speed from the 40's to the Flaretips of the early-mid 50's to early 60's are within your $20-40 budget, and is a razor I would happily use exclusively.

Get your technique right first. Money can't buy you that!

Last edited:
AA016B43-5BAB-42F6-A60B-91B6FB366314.png

If you’re good, patient, and willing to take a risk in ebay it’s easy to get on for less than $15. For less than $20 you can find one with good pictures and a better idea of good condition.

The image I included is a “post war etched cap,” some people think the pre war “triangle slots“ are better for beginners but I recommend the post war personally.

either way if you’re patient it’s easy to get both types for less than $40. Post enough here and you can make a WTB ad and can probably find someone that has both.

How are you fixed for soap/cream and brush? A good lather is any shavers defensive 'Shield' against overly harsh or aggressive hardware (razors, blades) and getting a good lather is vital to comfort and your skin's health and happiness.

Here is longtime member @AimlessWanderer 's much respected guide to DE shaving. Very much quoted and used by many members to get them going. Full of excellent timeless advice. Please give it a read!
The Wanderer's Guide To DE Shaving - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-wanderers-guide-to-de-shaving.532194/
Using the cheap Omega S-Brush from Amazon and Stirling shave soap. Follow up the shave with Razorock alum stick and Nivea post shave balm. I have read that Stirling isn’t so sensitive skin friendly, though I don’t think I could point to any one particular thing irritating my neck as I’m sure I need to dial in my technique a little more.

Using the cheap Omega S-Brush from Amazon and Stirling shave soap. Follow up the shave with Razorock alum stick and Nivea post shave balm. I have read that Stirling isn’t so sensitive skin friendly, though I don’t think I could point to any one particular thing irritating my neck as I’m sure I need to dial in my technique a little more.
Sounds fine!

You could maybe leave out the alum some shaves, you may be sensitive to it. See how that goes.

Technique trumps all, so working on it is the wise move.

Welcome to the forum and a maze of wonderful rabbit holes! I am Relatively new and couid not agree more with the advice above.

I read several good diaries and started with a Gamechanger.68 and then got an English flat bottom tech. I have learned more with the inexpensive tech than anything else. I have had bad razor rash and irritation at the start.

I focused on great quality soaps and pre shave goods. I got a few used grooming dept soaps and found out how amazing a soap can be. I learned to lather and then focus on angle.

Fast forward, I know what kind of razors work best for me. Same with blades.

Let any of us know how we can help. I have learned so much here and from a few good YouTube people. Be willing to learn from everyone.

I will leave you with a funny story. I thought I knew all there was to know on lathering. I was watching a straight razor YouTube person (old school shaving) and he taught me how to some lather tips that have really helped. My point. We always learn. lol!

Another vote for a Tech or a 40s or early 50s Super Speed both Gillette vintage razors also Astra Green is a good middle of road starter blade in my experience. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV). Feather blades are some of the sharpest blades out there. If you want a modern razor I would recommend a Parker 78R reminds me of a Tech. Omega makes great brushes and Sterling is a fine soap. I agree with @Alum Ladd Technique trumps all, so working on it is the wise move. Welcome to B and B! Good shaves to you! There are lots of fine people here that can answer any questions that you may have. Have fun during the process and enjoy the journey!

Another word on razors. Any Tech is a good Tech to learn superb technique. You DO NOT need to spend big amounts on a razor at this stage.

A Tech is excellent, be it from the 40's 50's or 60's. The Pre-War is just a very good variant.

Another excellent starter razor is the classic 40's Super Speed. This is a TTO that is smooth and very acceptably efficient. Parker's 87R is actually a 'homage' to the Super Speeds more Upmarket British Gillette Cousin of the late 40's, the Aristocrat.

Many Techs, or a Super Speed from the 40's to the Flaretips of the early-mid 50's to early 60's are within your $20-40 budget, and is a razor I would happily use exclusively.

Get your technique right first. Money can't buy you that!
Wow, that guide was an eye-opener! Thank you VERY MUCH for that. My next shave I will be approaching completely different. I already know just from reading that guide, I put way too much pressure on my neck. I have a direction now! Thanks once again!

Ok, I put that guide into practice this morning, 1-pass shave went smoothly, MUCH better. Still struggling a little bit with finding the angle just right on my neck, but overall the shave was MUCH more satisfying. No nicks, no weeps, or irritation. Jury still out on my particular Parker 87R, though. I seem to always have to mess with it to keep the blade aligned in it. It's like the blade wants to naturally sit more exposed on one side than the other. I can adjust the blade a bit to get it to line up, but like I said you have to fiddle with it a bit. Kind of annoying.

Welcome to the forum and a maze of wonderful rabbit holes! I am Relatively new and couid not agree more with the advice above.

I read several good diaries and started with a Gamechanger.68 and then got an English flat bottom tech. I have learned more with the inexpensive tech than anything else. I have had bad razor rash and irritation at the start.

I focused on great quality soaps and pre shave goods. I got a few used grooming dept soaps and found out how amazing a soap can be. I learned to lather and then focus on angle.

Fast forward, I know what kind of razors work best for me. Same with blades.

Let any of us know how we can help. I have learned so much here and from a few good YouTube people. Be willing to learn from everyone.

I will leave you with a funny story. I thought I knew all there was to know on lathering. I was watching a straight razor YouTube person (old school shaving) and he taught me how to some lather tips that have really helped. My point. We always learn. lol!
What was the video? I'd like to watch it. I'm always looking for lathering techniques!

Ok, I put that guide into practice this morning, 1-pass shave went smoothly, MUCH better. Still struggling a little bit with finding the angle just right on my neck, but overall the shave was MUCH more satisfying. No nicks, no weeps, or irritation. Jury still out on my particular Parker 87R, though. I seem to always have to mess with it to keep the blade aligned in it. It's like the blade wants to naturally sit more exposed on one side than the other. I can adjust the blade a bit to get it to line up, but like I said you have to fiddle with it a bit. Kind of annoying.

It will happen with practice.

One thing to keep in mind is that we've all been where you are and had to find our way.

Lots of good points already made but I would emphasize working on your technique rather than acquiring a bunch of stuff while chasing the perfect shave.

The Tech is a fine razor, one of my favorites, and perfectly capable of delivering a superb shave. I just bought (another) pre-war Tech in great shape on Ebay for 10 bucks, plus shipping.

Whichever razor you choose, try to stick with it for a bit. Use the same blade, soap, brush, and prep. If it's really not working, change one variable and test the results for a bit before changing again.

As others have stated (from experience) technique is king and your shaves WILL improve over time.

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

What was the video? I'd like to watch it. I'm always looking for lathering techniques!
The video link is below. He showed a cool way to lather from the soap, then clean up the soap, and use a mister to get a very hydrated lather. He uses straight razors so his lathering skills are good. It results in a very well hydrated lather and does not leave soap scum behind in the container.

The video link is below. He showed a cool way to lather from the soap, then clean up the soap, and use a mister to get a very hydrated lather. He uses straight razors so his lathering skills are good. It results in a very well hydrated lather and does not leave soap scum behind in the container.

Thanks!

It will happen with practice.

One thing to keep in mind is that we've all been where you are and had to find our way.

Lots of good points already made but I would emphasize working on your technique rather than acquiring a bunch of stuff while chasing the perfect shave.

The Tech is a fine razor, one of my favorites, and perfectly capable of delivering a superb shave. I just bought (another) pre-war Tech in great shape on Ebay for 10 bucks, plus shipping.

Whichever razor you choose, try to stick with it for a bit. Use the same blade, soap, brush, and prep. If it's really not working, change one variable and test the results for a bit before changing again.

As others have stated (from experience) technique is king and your shaves WILL improve over time.

Welcome to the forum. 🙂
Mentally I am 100% on board with what you're saying about technique. I'm focused on that at the moment. I'm not really (at least for now) interested in chasing the "BBS" shave. Just a really great shave. I'm only shopping a different razor because the current one I'm using isn't working correctly. I just want to shave, I don't want to spend time screwing around with the razor to get it to behave.

Top Bottom